Register free!
Search

The Green Industry's Resource Center

Click for Weather

Old 12-11-2002, 07:51 PM
LawnSite Bronze Member

Old Lesco Aerator 30"

Can anyone give me opinions on an old Lesco 30" aerator? The tines are out front, and have some type of setup with a couple wheels out in front of the tines. The tines are different then the Lawnairs and stuff, but are core type. Do these work well, and good or bad anyone could share.

I appreciate it.

Jay
Old 12-11-2002, 08:48 PM
LawnSite Member

picture had to be resubmitted, lets try again
Attached Images

Old 12-11-2002, 08:52 PM
LawnSite Member

Jay, here is a picture of my aerator, I believe it is like the one you are talking about. It is a good starter unit and I have been happy with the results it has produced for me. It will also give you a good workout as it does take some man handling unlike the newer ones. I just moved up to a Rock Solid Plugr so I'll be saying good bye to this one soon.
Old 12-11-2002, 08:55 PM
LawnSite Senior Member

that looks like it could get away from you...LOOK OUT:blob3:
Old 12-11-2002, 09:11 PM
LawnSite Bronze Member

That looks alot like it, the one I saw had two wheels that were out in front. Are the wheels just for transport? Does it take good deep plugs? How does it compare to the Ryan's and Toro type units as far as manuverability and quality? Great pic, and thanks for the post.

Jay
Old 12-11-2002, 09:25 PM
LawnSite Fanatic

These machines are nothing but awesome. This thing just walks. As far as the casters on the front, yes, they belong on there. There are two settings for the pin, one for tranport and storage. (like for rolling it around on the cement) and the othe pin setting that raises the wheel all the way up for operation. YOu could also take the caster arm right of if you wanted, plus, this allowed the machine to get up close to things. I see this one has a bar welded to it for added weight, which may work decent, but what I did, was tie a couple of old plastic barbell weights together and I would "hang" them over the front of the caster bar where the T was. THey stayed well, and because the weight was so far out in front, it made penetration and operation ALOT easier. Without any weight at all, you would find that you had to sort of lift up on the top of the handles to keep the spoonwheel digging. All in all, this machine is a great unit, and if you have a chance to buy one, what is the asking price, if you don't mind me asking?

Thank you, Dad - for always being the dad that you were. You truly are my hero. You always were.
Old 12-11-2002, 09:28 PM
LawnSite Bronze Member

The handles look like they would be a real PITA after areating a lot of lawns. They look like they would not be too comfortable to me.
Old 12-11-2002, 09:34 PM
LawnSite Bronze Member

Runner,

He wants $200 for it. Is it easy to get parts for that unit? Does it move at a decent pace? How does it do on Hills? Great post, thanks so much for all that super info.

Jay
Old 12-12-2002, 10:15 AM
LawnSite Bronze Member

I have one that I bought in 98 and no longer use. You will likely not need replacement parts as it is pretty tough. The only thing that needs maintenance is a couple of grease points and the typical engine stuff. $200 sounds like a super low price. I would make sure it operates ok and then jump on it. That weight bar that has been added seems like a great addition. The front wheels only get in the way in my opinion. It does move at a good pace and does fine on hills but not quite as well as a Ryan or Claussen unit where the tines in the back. The handles are not designed perfectly but it is not a really heavy unit so it is not really uncomfortable. It will not "get away from you" If you disengage the transmission it will stop unless you are on some crazy slope going straight down.
Old 12-12-2002, 01:20 PM
LawnSite Senior Member

If it is clean, aside from sctraches and what you would consider normal wear and tear, $200 sounds like a great price. I have used them and I am not as opposed to them as much as some other members on this site. They do a good job and even though they might be larger and look a bit clumsy to operate, they really aren't that bad. It would be a good starter unit, till you can upgrade to something else ... it will make you money!