Register free!

The Green Industry's Resource Center

Old 03-27-2012, 05:49 PM
LawnSite Bronze Member

hiring employee's ..... expectations to high?

Ill give you an example... new Guy, worked 4 days total. I'm dealing with phone calls all day so I often stop working and head to the truck to fill out estimate sheets. Yesterday I had to tell him to start on the yard because he was sitting in the truck while I was on the phone. Today he stops spreading mulch and lights up a cigarette as soon as I get a phone call.
I've told him something twice and the 2nd time wasn't so nice. Do you have to continually motivate your workers to work? Do they wait for your every move and have to be told what to do constantly? I've had 3 workers this year alone and they all do the same thing....
Posted via Mobile Device
Old 03-27-2012, 05:56 PM
LawnSite Gold Member

This is why a good employee costs money. Sucks to have to keep on him.

PS on your end ,do you get a lot of calls during the day? Maybe try and limit you phone time too. A good answering service works out in the long run.
Old 03-27-2012, 05:58 PM
LawnSite Bronze Member

Do you have an employee manual with company rules written down? Have your employees read and signed off on it too?..?..?

It will make a difference.
Old 03-27-2012, 05:59 PM
LawnSite Fanatic

Its pretty much how it is, I just hired a new guy and have started being more blunt about what i want. In the past i let a lot of stuff slide because i didn't wanna make it weird and stuff but this year i have laid down the law.
2010 Equipment/Stripe thread Here
2009 Equipment/Stripe thread Here
Hurricane blower video Here
Old 03-27-2012, 08:06 PM
LawnSite Bronze Member

Limiting my phone time is not the issue. I am the owner/manager. The reason behind hiring somone is so you can place responsibility on them as new responsibilities arise for you. It aslo has nothing to do with a handbook. If you have to be told more than once, then you wouldn't pay attention to writing either. It all boils down to work ethics. I expect someone to look at a trailer of mulch, look at the house, and automatically know what needs to be done. Don't worry about anything else. Just focus on the job at hand and want to complete it.
Posted via Mobile Device
Old 03-27-2012, 08:08 PM
LawnSite Gold Member

Then you might have to put the help wanted sign out again.
Old 03-27-2012, 08:08 PM
LawnSite Fanatic

You let him smoke on a customers property?
Old 03-27-2012, 10:57 PM
LawnSite Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Patriot Services View Post
You let him smoke on a customers property?
That went through my mind as well.

I'd fire his A$$ and look for someone else. I used to be nice to employees but not anymore. You have to earn me being nice to you. Correct him one more time and then let him go.
I started leaving a message on my voice mail that states this time of year the only reason I don't answer the phone is if I'm with a customer, so please leave a message and I'll be right back with you. This little line has helped me get a few more accounts.
Old 03-27-2012, 11:31 PM
LawnSite Senior Member

I have learned to let some things go. Although, I must say I have a good employee now. But, I probably go through 8 or 9 before I find a decent one. But, you're right, you shouldn't have to keep telling them the same thing. I had a guy like that once. Every time I stopped to do something, he would stop. If he needs a breather, that's one thing. But just because I stop and talk to a customer doesn't mean he has to stop to watch me talk. Ugh!!! I am constantly torn on the employee issue. It is the only thing that holds me back from growing into a huge business. I know, because I see the same things over and over, they just won't take the time and put those finishing touches on a property. And you know, that's not so bad if you offer budget lawn care. But when your prices are in the medium to high range, you have to offer a more professional service.
At the same time I understand that 80% of the time, these employees working for us are working at our lawn care business for a reason. There is usually some issue (drugs, in between jobs, no motivation, etc...) If they had a little money and motivation, they would have their own lawn care business, or be working at a better job with better benefits. Our typical employee usually doesn't hold a job very long. Just ask for their employment history for the last 3 years. Sometimes you get pages and pages of info!!! LOL...That should be a red flag. Then you get the ones that come up to you at a gas station and ask is you're hiring! Then proceed to tell you how much of a d*%& their last boss was! Nice! Just what I wanted to here from a potential employee