Register free!
Search

The Green Industry's Resource Center

Click for Weather

Old 12-11-2002, 07:59 PM
LawnSite Senior Member

grasshopper725g2

i got my heart set on anew ztr this spring.its came down to either the turftiger 27hp liquid cooled kaw. or a grasshopper725g2 with 25hp kubota liquid cool gas. the new outfront hopg2 now runs 10.5mph.i need some experienced feedback.
Old 12-11-2002, 08:09 PM
LawnSite Member

I got a 928g2 about 8 months ago and love it. It is a very good machine and well worth the price.
Old 12-11-2002, 08:19 PM
LawnSite Senior Member

I know that grsshopper did make an excelent mower some years ago(5yrs)although they did get left behind by the other manufactures.I havent seen the new ones but if I remember correctly those mowers were very long and bulky.
Old 12-11-2002, 09:12 PM
LawnSite Senior Member

go grass hopper the really suck (in a good way) the cut is good and there bagging systems are excellent.
if not a grass hopper i would go walker!
Old 12-11-2002, 09:40 PM
LawnSite Platinum Member

The Grasshopper midmounts are also excellent machines. I have two of them. One is the 428D with a 72" deck. The other is a 321D with a 60" deck. They also make the midmount with that same 25hp Kubota engine.
Old 12-12-2002, 02:52 AM
LawnSite Member

I have a 725g2 also,
If you are a solo this is an excellent machine. Greta comfort good power baggers do work very well. The modle 25 bagger is a bit to large though, nice to not have to dump as often, but it is too heavy. The unit will not hold hills full, not very well emopty really.

If you have employees go with something else.... I will be going to all exmark soon. Their design is much more simple than the grasshopper. The grasshopper has wear point on the deck that, if a lot of hours are put on this machine will need to be changed out yearly.

We put about 740 hrs on one this year and you can tell.

shawn
Old 12-12-2002, 07:59 AM
LawnSite Member

I have owned a 725g2 for a year now and have had overall good experience. The machine runs well, stripes well, cuts well and overall performs well. I prefer the out fronts because they eliminate alot of trimming for my properties.

I did have a main oil seal on the engine leak. Dealer picked it up 2 different times before fixing it. Then I was doing a leaf job and something ripped off the fluid return line for the hydros. Turns out that the hoses are dangling and completely exposed only 3 or 4 inches from the ground with no attachment to the frame. Any fixed object on the ground that grabs that hose will easily rip it off. Grasshopper gave me parts under warranty...good thing too the hydro reservoir holds 10 quarts of fluid @ $28.00/quart.

I also have the model 15 collector and that paid for itself and then some in just one season.
Old 12-12-2002, 09:12 AM
LawnSite Member

Quote:
Originally posted by therainman
If you have employees go with something else.... I will be going to all exmark soon. Their design is much more simple than the grasshopper. The grasshopper has wear point on the deck that, if a lot of hours are put on this machine will need to be changed out yearly. ...
shawn
I agree with Shawn, Grasshopper has a great cut and is easy to handle but my deck was ready for replacement after 2 years. It has way to many wear points and no bushings to replace before the damage gets to far. Asthe pivot points start to wear the cut becomes uneven and there's nothing you can do about it.
Old 12-12-2002, 02:50 PM
LawnSite Member

i have both machines you listed, but the hopper has the diesel engine.
i agree with all the positives & all the negatives that have been mentioned about the g/h. with that being said, i will take a mid-mount z over a front mount mower any day. scag takes a little "heat" on this forum, but i have 2 & think they are fine machines for my operation. regardless of the brand, i believe a mid-mount is a much more productive mower. my .02
Old 12-13-2002, 02:37 AM
LawnSite Fanatic

Well I will say these things...

(1) I do agree about the outfront deck. I've seen a few around with plenty of hours logged. Some have real sloppy decks now.

(2) They hold hills! I saw it with my own eyes and was surprised.

(3) I saw some slap wicked stripes laid down by one on a thread in one of these forums.

(4) The mid-mounts look solid and have a good rep here. Got deep pockets? Go after that diesel mid mount. I think you will like!

Please keep me informed! I'd like to know what you think. I'll get around to my Grasshopper demo some day, too busy now