Register free!

Old 03-27-2012, 03:27 PM
LawnSite Fanatic

fall seeding

Here is the March 27 2012, photo of grass seeding and fert and mulching experiment on my neighbor's lawn from fall of 2011. A large elm tree was removed and some soil brought in. In late October I seeded over all the different test plots to restore his lawn to good quality. Seed used for the tests and to overseed was Scotts "Classic" which was high in Divine and LS2000 perennial rye. Weather has been much warmer than normal.

Also, the left side of this lawn from road to house was fertilized (26-0-6) on November 3rd, and the right side on November 30. I am not sure if there is any difference. And the right side had a bit more protection from the hot sun over the years.

I could not find previous post, and photos from last fall.
Attached Images

Last edited by RigglePLC; 03-27-2012 at 03:28 PM. Reason: add
Old 03-27-2012, 09:21 PM
LawnSite Fanatic

Looks like the new grass looks better than the old, in all 3 plots... Did the rest of his lawn get fertilized last fall?
Old 03-28-2012, 12:00 AM
LawnSite Fanatic

The back and side yards were not fertilized. The back yard is mostly moss and weeds.
The November treatments were applied to the entire left and right side of front yard.
Yes the new grass looks nice. And this is probably the best the lawn will look this year. Fert plus moist soil is great for grass. Weeds and crab will likely appear later.
Here is the link to one of last year's photos.
http://www.lawnsite.com/showthread.php?t=363289
Old 03-28-2012, 09:17 AM
LawnSite Bronze Member

Are you talking about the new hybrid rye grass that spreads with tillers?

If so, what is your input on this? Good thing to add on to your service?
Complete lawn care services
Old 03-28-2012, 10:24 AM
LawnSite Member

Riggle,

Why do you say this?

Quote:
Originally Posted by RigglePLC View Post
And this is probably the best the lawn will look this year.
I agree, but I am trying to find out what it is realistic to expect from renovation projects. I work with mainly cool season turf (prefer fescue and some perennial rye) I am in zone 6 almost zone 7. I seed some jobs every year, probably because of heat and no irrigation. But I am wondering if I took a year or two off from seeding and focused on feeding the lawn well, If i'd get better establishment. Any thoughts would be appreciated.

I should add that when I say I renovate, I am slice seeding, core aerating, doing soil sampling, correcting PH, correcting deficiencies. I typically get good germination rates.
Old 03-28-2012, 12:03 PM
LawnSite Member

I think I am going to try it but with our crazy weather in NJ I am not sure what to start doing right now. We had 70 degree weather last week and got 3 days of frost last couple days.

What are you guys recommending?
Old 03-28-2012, 09:27 PM
LawnSite Fanatic

No this is not a spreading-type perennial ryegrass. It is Scotts "Classic" one of their economy grass mixtures. Includes "Divine". And LS 2000. and some inexpensive bluegrasses and fine fescue.
http://www.google.com/url?sa=t&rct=j...zzfK0Q&cad=rja

http://www.google.com/url?sa=t&rct=j...JIobTA&cad=rja

Since this house is never watered and not normally fertilized. And the weeds and crabgrass are not normally treated, it looks better than usual.

We had 2 weeks of very warm unusual weather so our season is 4 to 6 weeks ahead of normal.
My opinion, why not seed now if you didn't seed in the fall. Its a risk and you can plan on slow germination because temps will probably return to normal. If you like it thick and green... use double the usual amount of seed, and include fertilizer, at seeding and at 4 weeks later. I got great results at triple the usual amount of seed. That is costly, of course...but cheaper than labor sometimes.
Old 08-16-2012, 10:24 PM
LawnSite Fanatic

New grass, then hot

My neighbor's lawn which I reseeded a big spot In fall for free, looked nice in March. I used Scotts Classic seed: rye, blue , fine fescue, inexpensive mix. It looked fine, but then we had a big hot, dry spell about from mid-June to Aug 6th. Guy seldom watered. Heavy rain about a week ago. Now it looks bad--weeds, crabgrass, and big bare spots. A few clumps of perennial rye have survived. It has a nice dark color. Crabgrass became heavy in areas of lawn not reseeded. I will seed again.
Attached Images