Register free!
Search

The Green Industry's Resource Center

Click for Weather

Old 03-27-2012, 08:48 PM
LawnSite Senior Member

City putting me out of business! Seriously!

I am so speechless right now. I don't know what to do. Yesterday some guy was walking down the street going door to door looking for the 'landscaper', that's how hard it was for him to find me. It was the Manager of Planning and Zoning.

Finally, after he found me, he told me its illegal to run a business like yours from your residence. I do live in the city, but the lots are about 3/4 of an acre in my area. I moved into this home 3+ years ago and have been operating off this property ever since.

Everything having to do with my business is not located anywhere near the street, and everything other then 2 trucks and 2 trailers is inside my 1,500 sq. ft. garage. I don't have any material piles, or any other equipment outside. Its VERY neat and clean.

There are countless of other guys within the city that literally have mowers lined up and topsoil and mulch piles on there front.. yes front.. yards.

Today I got a letter in the mail that says, "You are in violation of city zoning ordinances and you have until APRIL 6th to CEASE OPERATIONS OF THIS ILLEGAL BUSINESS LOCATED AT 16** N. 7TH STREET.

If the business remains operating after April 6th citations may be issued and this matter may be forwarded to the City Attorney for further action.

The guy said he got some kind of complaint, but I have a very good relationship with ALL my immediate neighbors and know it was not them. They all think this is ridiculous.

What can I do!!??

Do they really expect me to close my business within the next 10 days?!?

I only have one employee but I do hundreds of thousands in sales each year and I have hundreds of customers.

Why does this have to happen at the busiest time of the year!!!
Old 03-27-2012, 08:51 PM
LawnSite Gold Member

Technically your not running a business from your home.All your business is done else where. Also how are your trucks registered if they are in your name it's private property.Just like the family Yugo.
Old 03-27-2012, 08:54 PM
LawnSite Senior Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by grandview (2006) View Post
Technically your not running a business from your home.All your business is done else where. Also how are your trucks registered if they are in your name it's private property.Just like the family Yugo.
Trucks are in the business name and lettered.

Thats exactly what I told the guy!! All of our work is done off site!
Old 03-27-2012, 08:55 PM
LawnSite Gold Member

Is it a matter of just getting a permit to have the stuff there?
Old 03-27-2012, 08:56 PM
LawnSite Fanatic

the city is going to win on this one. Find a nice little two bay shop with a office and yard to store supplies. I bet your business will grow because of it.
Old 03-27-2012, 08:57 PM
LawnSite Senior Member

Talking to a lawyer will be money well spent. You're not running a business in the house, its from a truck and trailer. These needledicked azzholes are always trying to strongarm someone into giving up. You haev rights. Around here all you have to do is get written consent from your immediate neighbors and once they have signed off you are un touchable. Maybe you should build a tall fence. You also shaould ask where the source of the complaint was. Don't quit over this. If all else fails find the little jerk and put some fear into him.
Old 03-27-2012, 08:58 PM
LawnSite Senior Member

Aparently there is a such thing as a conditional use permit, but the guy said there is no way to get a conditional use permit for a landscape company on a residential property.

There is also some rule about number of company vehicles and that it can only be one that is used by the person living in the home.

The problem lies most (I guess) with my 16' enclosed trailer (lettered), 06 Ford F250 (Lettered), '94 Chevy 2500 (Lettered), and 14' flat trailer.
Old 03-27-2012, 09:00 PM
LawnSite Senior Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by WHIPPLE5.7 View Post
You also should ask where the source of the complaint was.
He refused to tell me.
Old 03-27-2012, 09:17 PM
LawnSite Platinum Member

Rent a storage unit.
Posted via Mobile Device
Old 03-27-2012, 09:20 PM
LawnSite Senior Member

If I have to rent something then half of my property is useless to me. My business pays me rent to use that space. I would lose out on that rent, and I would have to pay for some other place. It would be devastating to me and my business.
Posted via Mobile Device