Register free!
Search

The Green Industry's Resource Center

Click for Weather

Old 03-27-2012, 08:52 PM
LawnSite Senior Member

36'' Stander - Cracked Deck...again.

I have a 2009 36" Stander with just over 600 hours on it. Last year the deck started cracking, one piece of it broke completely off (top skirt that runs around belt area.) It also started cracking where the castors mount to the deck and on several of the welds. I took it to Lawn and Leisure in Lees Summit, Mo. where I had purchased it new in 2009. They took pictures and sent it off to Wright to see if they would cover it, since the machine was just out of warranty. Wright covered it and sent a new one out, it was the wrong deck, so I had to wait for another one.

In the end, I got a new deck and all was good, until yesterday when I noticed this deck was now cracking and falling apart in the exact same way as the original. I'm taking it to the dealer tomorrow so they can take pictures and find out about getting it replaced.

Is there a problem with these decks or am I just that unlucky? Hope you all replace it...with something that will last more than half a season.

Old 03-27-2012, 11:05 PM
LawnSite Platinum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by LBLC_LCO View Post
I have a 2009 36" Stander with just over 600 hours on it. Last year the deck started cracking, one piece of it broke completely off (top skirt that runs around belt area.) It also started cracking where the castors mount to the deck and on several of the welds. I took it to Lawn and Leisure in Lees Summit, Mo. where I had purchased it new in 2009. They took pictures and sent it off to Wright to see if they would cover it, since the machine was just out of warranty. Wright covered it and sent a new one out, it was the wrong deck, so I had to wait for another one.

In the end, I got a new deck and all was good, until yesterday when I noticed this deck was now cracking and falling apart in the exact same way as the original. I'm taking it to the dealer tomorrow so they can take pictures and find out about getting it replaced.

Is there a problem with these decks or am I just that unlucky? Hope you all replace it...with something that will last more than half a season.
I have a 2008 with 375 hours and have not had any issues.....
Old 03-27-2012, 11:16 PM
LawnSite Senior Member

It's just strange that the problems are in the exact same spots, I know of another stander that was at the dealer last year around the same time as mine that was also having problems with the deck cracking in spots. Also a 2009 36".

Old 03-28-2012, 12:38 AM
LawnSite Platinum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by LBLC_LCO View Post
It's just strange that the problems are in the exact same spots, I know of another stander that was at the dealer last year around the same time as mine that was also having problems with the deck cracking in spots. Also a 2009 36".
Could be that year and model only...
Posted via Mobile Device
Old 03-28-2012, 05:59 PM
LawnSite Silver Member

What do you mow? Alot of curb hopping? What type of trailers do you have? Long or short ramps?

I have a customer with a 36". Owned it for 3 years with no problem. Middle of last year deck is all cracked up. Late last year it was already cracking again. In his case, its his guys just beating the crap out of the mower. He had some new employees last year that were not being very gentle with the equipment.

I think some of it was rough curb hopping but alot of it was also catching the spindles when backing them off the trailers or maybe off of curbs. Basically trying to tear the deck off the machine.

Unfortunately prices on deck shells were much friendlier until around August of last year
Old 03-28-2012, 06:28 PM
LawnSite Senior Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by pugs View Post
What do you mow? Alot of curb hopping? What type of trailers do you have? Long or short ramps?

I have a customer with a 36". Owned it for 3 years with no problem. Middle of last year deck is all cracked up. Late last year it was already cracking again. In his case, its his guys just beating the crap out of the mower. He had some new employees last year that were not being very gentle with the equipment.

I think some of it was rough curb hopping but alot of it was also catching the spindles when backing them off the trailers or maybe off of curbs. Basically trying to tear the deck off the machine.

Unfortunately prices on deck shells were much friendlier until around August of last year
I mow strictly residentials, so not having to hop curbs really. Trailer is a 6.5' x 12' Maxey, no problems getting on or off trailer. I've personally put all 600+ hours on the machine, I take care of my equipment. Not doing wheelies or anything like you see in the youtube vids out there.

Should know something soon, took it to the dealer today and he is sending the pictures in to Wright.

Old 04-03-2012, 03:48 PM
LawnSite Senior Member

Heard back from Wright, they will be replacing the deck. The dealer said they were going to ''make me a reinforced deck''. So I'm not sure if this is just for me, or they are making reinforced decks for anyone having this problem. Either way, I'm happy they are fixing the problem. No timeline though.

Old 05-03-2012, 10:34 PM
LawnSite Senior Member

Just wanted to post an update. Got the new deck installed this this week. Still unsure whether this is a widespread problem or what the deal is. The dealer says there are no service bulletins or anything about it. Either way, thank you Wright for standing behind your product and hopefully correcting the problem.

Here are some pictures of the old and one of the new with the reinforcements.

By lblc2012 at 2012-05-03

New deck, the new reinforced piece is circled in red.