Register free!
Search

Click for Weather

Old 04-13-2012, 10:55 AM
LawnSite Fanatic

There appears to be some missing posts here. Mainly the one I replied to and bugsNbows commented on.

"TG doesn't give a rats ass about being "Responsible" as long as sales/production quotas are met. That's it in a nutshell. A recipe for disaster IMO." Ted Putnam 2/28/14

You can lead a Donkey to water but you can't make the Jackass Drink

"As Americans you have the right to be stupid." John Kerry

"Life is tough, but it's tougher when you're stupid.” John Wayne.
Old 04-13-2012, 10:56 AM
LawnSite Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by bugsNbows View Post
+100! It's cow pasture grass ... about one notch better than dirt for home lawn usage. I'd rather have a seeded common bermuda lawn than bahia. Just my $.02.
Strongly considering Argentine only, I do not plan to use Pensacola. I had Bermuda in West Texas back in the mid-90s, and it wasn't too bad you just had to stay on top of edging. The reality is I have some sandy/shady areas that either Bermuda or Argentine will probably struggle a bit with, but I can't possibly sod a yard this size.
Old 04-13-2012, 11:13 AM
LawnSite Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ric View Post

There appears to be some missing posts here. Mainly the one I replied to and bugsNbows commented on.

I see the one about Pensacola being Poor Man's on the previous page that both of you commented on was it another set of comments missing? I had only replied to the one message.
Old 04-14-2012, 10:36 PM
LawnSite Member

Very much want to thank you guys for mentioning you don't bother with those toe-behind lawn sweepers. I went with a Stihl BR-600 Magnum, and that was a seriously nice piece of equipment. I moved so much crap off the lawn today I was shocked. I could not have seeded it with those caked in leaves, and raking was out of the question. I also got the plate mulch kit for the loose stragglers and need to drop the deck and swap blades tomorrow.
Old 04-30-2012, 10:07 PM
LawnSite Member

Argentine bahia is better for lawns. Pensacola is what the seed road sides and fields with.
Old 07-07-2012, 04:06 PM
LawnSite Member

Finally got my lawn test results back. Between a crazy summer baseball schedule and my wife's cancer and subsequent re hospitalization for an infection, I was late getting all the tests done.

So I was good on ph for Argentine, but needed to add boron, manganese and sulpomag which has magnesium/potassium. Realistically not all that expensive, we shall see how it does. The Bahai is a little patchy in some spots, and really that could have been alleviated by getting the soil correct ahead of time, and operating that slit seeder a little better. Those things are a ***** in the sandy parts of the yard. Outside of that everything was good. The other thing I'll have to iron out is figuring out which areas to give up in terms of grass (i.e. too much shade) and what to do with time.

If I have a cluster of trees, probably best to create a mulch area. They also said Jasmine can be used in some areas where there is just too much shade. The other option is to chemical mow in those areas ala Ric's advice. Certain areas look really nice, according to the store I went to they said be patient, let it grow out a little and there will be some spreading. The boron foliar will be the best of the three in terms of adding green apparently. Might need to overseed a couple of areas.

Lots of good information here from the professionals.
Old 07-07-2012, 10:34 PM
LawnSite Senior Member

Sounds like you've been up DIY Pest Control and spoke with either Rebecca or Matt. The Argentine Bahia is the only one recommended for residential lawns due to the growth habit is less open than the Pensacola variety. Roadside turf varieties are not suggested for residential lawns.

The A. Bahia is the only officially recognized drought tolerant turf variety by the state of Florida (not Zoysia either). So it's plenty drought resistant along with having lower input requirements than SA. Although, to get the best results, you'll need to give it appropriate consistent care.

Another good suggestion for those shady areas might be Mondo grass in either the standard or Dwarf variety.
Old 07-08-2012, 12:51 AM
LawnSite Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by rob7233 View Post
Sounds like you've been up DIY Pest Control and spoke with either Rebecca or Matt. The Argentine Bahia is the only one recommended for residential lawns due to the growth habit is less open than the Pensacola variety. Roadside turf varieties are not suggested for residential lawns.

The A. Bahia is the only officially recognized drought tolerant turf variety by the state of Florida (not Zoysia either). So it's plenty drought resistant along with having lower input requirements than SA. Although, to get the best results, you'll need to give it appropriate consistent care.

Another good suggestion for those shady areas might be Mondo grass in either the standard or Dwarf variety.
Yes exactly DIY,I am not sure who they send their soil analysis work to. I still have some traces of Pensacola, not sure where it came from seems like the original owner (who built it in '85) put in St. Aug. but the Argentine was the way to go.