Register free!

The Green Industry's Resource Center

Old 12-12-2002, 07:42 AM
LawnSite Senior Member

Gas can Fire in Truck Bed

I just saw on TV, a gas can catch fire and it's owner with it, while standing in the back of his pick up truck. He was filmed on the security cam,if you get a chance to see it you'll get an awesome reminder of how important it is to fill cans outside of the truck.I guess it had a bed liner and the tank wasn't grounded.The guy jumps outa' the truck and runs around while a few other people try to put him out. He was 59 yrs old and has burns on a lot of his body now. I know this should be in the "off topic forum" but thought it would serve as a reminder to us all to take the can outa' the truck, I know I will.
Old 12-12-2002, 09:15 AM
LawnSite Bronze Member

i have always heard that gas and bedliners dont mix, what exactly is it that causes the problem??? whats a solution for it?
Old 12-12-2002, 09:40 AM
LawnSite Member

static electricity causes the sprark that ignights the gas fumes. a few years ago a guy down in chester virginia, blew his truck and a gas pump up filling in his truck bed. I dont know if he is ok or not.

Robert ONeal

Quality Grounds Management
Old 12-12-2002, 09:41 AM
LawnSite Senior Member

man that is horrible!! I have never heard of bed linners causing problems with fuel. Must be some sort of chemical reaction. I know at times I practice unsafe habbits around fuel. Also guys remember if you have your trailers exposed to the elements outside do not forget about the New Years comming up. Every new years and 4th of July I get nervous. I always store my cans inside the garage for fear some kids bottle rocket etc. will ignite too close to my gas cans.
Old 12-12-2002, 11:04 AM
LawnSite Member

Cajuncutter I saw the same video. What a mess and I feel sorry for the man especially this time of year.

Safe tips for fueling portable gas cans.

No SMOKING MOTOR OFF!

1. Touch the side of the truck with your hand to discharge any static electricity.

2. Make sure the gas nozzle stays in contact with the can during the entire filling process.

3. Never use cell phone while filling any vehicle.

4. Always fill on the ground

5. Leave yourself an escape route

Practice and educate safe fueling habits
Old 12-12-2002, 11:08 AM
LawnSite Bronze Member

fire extinguisher in truck always a good idea.

Sir Winston Churchill
Old 12-12-2002, 11:14 AM

Location: PRETTY SOON BETWEEN PALERMO AND AYRSHIRE BUT RIGHT NOW SWEET HOME CHICAGO
I seen a report about a lady who had a cell phone and somehow it cause her van to catch on fire while she was fulling up and talking on the cell phone at the same time.
Old 12-12-2002, 12:40 PM
LawnSite Member

gas container safety

http://www.awtrucks.com/bedliner_warning.htm

Quote:
Gasoline has a low electrical conductivity-- it does not conduct electricity very well. As a result, a charge of static electricity builds up on gasoline as it flows through a pipe or hose and this charge takes several seconds to several minutes to dissipate after the gasoline has reached a tank or container. If this charge discharges as a spark from a tank or container to the grounded metal nozzle of the gasoline dispenser hose, it may ignite the gasoline. Ignition requires that the spark occur near the tank opening where the gasoline vapor is in the flammable range.1 A spark discharge directly from the surface of the gasoline to the grounded nozzle also is possible. Normally, this will not result in ignition because the concentration of gasoline vapor near the liquid is above the flammable limit.
Old 12-12-2002, 12:47 PM
LawnSite Senior Member

Is there a danger when filling a plastic gas can sitting on a spray in bedliner? I always heard the danger was when filling a metal gas can sitting on a plastic bedliner.

Opinions?

Joel B.
Old 12-12-2002, 01:16 PM
LawnSite Senior Member

WoW I'm scared to goto the gas station now!