Register free!
Search

Click for Weather

Old 03-30-2012, 10:14 AM
LawnSite Gold Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by JACIRR View Post
Would you pay your guys to sleep on the job? 95% of the time, that is what they do when on their way to the site.
What do you want them to do sharpen blades on the way? It's not their fault that the OP bid jobs an hour away.
Old 03-30-2012, 10:22 AM
LawnSite Member

I'm not actually in the mowing business, so no. I was actually just informing about the port to portal law that allows the employer to make the decision. I do not make my guys meet at the shop. They can go directly to the site if they choose. Or they can ride to the site in the company truck. It is their decision. Our season is only 6 months long, so a lot of that drive time turns into overtime pay. When you have to work as much as you can before snow falls. They go on unemployment for the winter. When the employer pays the unemployment, I in turn pay for their 6 month vacation.
Old 03-30-2012, 10:41 AM
LawnSite Senior Member

when our guy's were on hourly pay and worked local, they got paid from the time they left till they returned. now on long distance jobs (windshield time) they got 1/2 pay per hour, for the drive, which at that time was still way above min.
p.s. they got 1/2 hr for lunch paid for
Old 03-30-2012, 10:44 AM
LawnSite Member

I do the same with lunch. I do not take time away from the guys when they take lunch during the day. If they worked 8am - 5pm, and take a lunch, I pay them from 8am - 5pm.
Old 03-30-2012, 10:56 AM
LawnSite Fanatic

I SEE LAWYER ADVERTISING ""DID YOUR EMPLOYER PAY ALL YOUR OVER TIME PAY"" ETC??

I don't have employees now. But It would be nice to know the actual law as to what you do have to pay. Even if you have paid correctly a Lawyer could ruin you.

"TG doesn't give a rats ass about being "Responsible" as long as sales/production quotas are met. That's it in a nutshell. A recipe for disaster IMO." Ted Putnam 2/28/14

You can lead a Donkey to water but you can't make the Jackass Drink

"As Americans you have the right to be stupid." John Kerry

"Life is tough, but it's tougher when you're stupid.” John Wayne.
Old 03-30-2012, 12:52 PM
LawnSite Gold Member

Guys that don't want to pay drive time. How much would it cost you to hire a another employee vs drive time paid out?
Old 03-30-2012, 01:16 PM
LawnSite Fanatic

Quote:
Originally Posted by grandview (2006) View Post
Guys that don't want to pay drive time. How much would it cost you to hire a another employee vs drive time paid out?
I am Sorry BUT

IMHO you have to pay Drive time and I believe the law is written that way. I would hate to have some Druggie see a TV advertisement by a scum bag lawyer and decide to sue me. This was the guy that lasted two weeks if you count the 4 days he didn't make it in and the 5 days he came in late.

But this whole discussion goes back to charging enough to run a business. If you can't make enough money to do things right and still turn a profit, Go to work flipping hamburgs.

"TG doesn't give a rats ass about being "Responsible" as long as sales/production quotas are met. That's it in a nutshell. A recipe for disaster IMO." Ted Putnam 2/28/14

You can lead a Donkey to water but you can't make the Jackass Drink

"As Americans you have the right to be stupid." John Kerry

"Life is tough, but it's tougher when you're stupid.” John Wayne.
Old 03-30-2012, 02:12 PM
LawnSite Gold Member

Ric,I mean you should pay from the time they punch to punch out. Why would you waste time trying to keep track of small stuff like that. Besides if your riding with the boss and your talking about what to do during the day you are at work and should be paid. I was just saying to try and dock 10-20 a week for drive time,it will cost you more in ads trying to find a good employee.
Old 03-30-2012, 04:14 PM
LawnSite Member

Lawyers will have a field day with you scumbags that work like this. Its called wage theft.

I can only imagine what other kind of laws are broken. Prob no workers comp, minimum wage, overtime and no green card so you can call immigration if they complain.

Like ric said, charge enough to do it right or get out.
Posted via Mobile Device
Old 03-30-2012, 05:09 PM
LawnSite Member

I pay my guys on start time meaning i tell them where we meet and a time in the morning they are on the clock from that time until i bring them back there at the end of the day to there cars..dont care about the law this is just fair to me i have worked for many people in the past and i expect the same you tell me to be somewhere at a certain time then that its when my pay starts until you bring me back...i do not mind them sleeping between job locations my guys work hard for me if they do not pull there own i will let them go and they know it i pay good but expect to not have to baby sit and i do not i am an owner and i work hard for my money they know if i am working harder than them they will not be with me long..i respect my guys and know with out good help i will not make it in this buisness...my two cents..