Register free!

Old 03-30-2012, 06:10 PM
LawnSite Fanatic

Quote:
Originally Posted by RoyalTree View Post
Lawyers will have a field day with you scumbags that work like this. Its called wage theft.

I can only imagine what other kind of laws are broken. Prob no workers comp, minimum wage, overtime and no green card so you can call immigration if they complain.

Like ric said, charge enough to do it right or get out.
Posted via Mobile Device
Royal Tree

I am going to get in trouble with my next statement. Sorry the truth isn't always nice. The problem in the Green Industry is those who can't hold a real job or run a real business end up in the Green Industry. The reason is limited qualifications and customers who think unlicensed contractors will give them the best price. Also is the attitude that any one can cut grass or do landscape. Add in that most states give away Pesticide Licenses in Crack Jack boxes and the public has a bad out look on the industry in general.

LS member Like Gregory who are educated Home owner end up answering questions for """ professional """ Guys with a 100 lawn accounts. Posts with basic business question like this one are a regular occurrence. Those with good business sense and who have taken the time to get a real horticultural Education Like fl-landscape, do get ahead and make a very nice living. But fl-Landscape bought and completed the Georgia certification program. BTW a very good home study course with Mid term and final tests given by a University or County extension office. While I am not sure that course is accredited, it is an excellent education. It is WHAT YOU KNOW that lets you get ahead.

"TG doesn't give a rats ass about being "Responsible" as long as sales/production quotas are met. That's it in a nutshell. A recipe for disaster IMO." Ted Putnam 2/28/14

You can lead a Donkey to water but you can't make the Jackass Drink

"As Americans you have the right to be stupid." John Kerry

"Life is tough, but it's tougher when you're stupid.” John Wayne.
Old 03-30-2012, 06:13 PM
LawnSite Fanatic

Quote:
Originally Posted by grandview (2006) View Post
Ric,I mean you should pay from the time they punch to punch out. Why would you waste time trying to keep track of small stuff like that. Besides if your riding with the boss and your talking about what to do during the day you are at work and should be paid. I was just saying to try and dock 10-20 a week for drive time,it will cost you more in ads trying to find a good employee.
Grandview

My Bad, I mis read your post. I see now you were correct about proper pay.

"TG doesn't give a rats ass about being "Responsible" as long as sales/production quotas are met. That's it in a nutshell. A recipe for disaster IMO." Ted Putnam 2/28/14

You can lead a Donkey to water but you can't make the Jackass Drink

"As Americans you have the right to be stupid." John Kerry

"Life is tough, but it's tougher when you're stupid.” John Wayne.
Old 03-30-2012, 06:21 PM
LawnSite Gold Member

Here is my thoughts about trying to ride that fine line of the Federal Law. Say you are in the truck with the employee who is choosing to partake in that free ride to the job site! You as the boss are discussing business related issues with the employee.....is he on the clock??? You are darn right he is. Believe it or not if you call your employee at home about work issues...then you should pay them for that time...if not...some scummer could potentially sue your tail for not paying them for the work they put in.
If a employee does anything for you...anything...you darn well better believe he is expected to get compensated for it. If not -I predict one sour employee will bankrupt you.

Providing Lawn Services, Landscape Installations and Solutions and Sod Services in the Oviedo Florida Market

If you aspire to a six-figure income, don't get advice from someone making $18,000 a year!
Old 03-30-2012, 07:22 PM
LawnSite Member

Thanks for your responses. I was just wondering how you all handle the Portal Law. We do mostly commercial work that requires long distance travel. We do carry WC, GL, we have a PCO and we pay very fair wages. However, it is annoying to watch employees sleep for an hour while most of America commutes an hour paying their own gas and in rush hour traffic. Thank you.
Old 03-30-2012, 07:24 PM
LawnSite Gold Member

Rather have them sleep on the way then on the jobsite working slow. Actually they did commute to work,your shop location.
Old 03-30-2012, 11:05 PM
LawnSite Gold Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by GXL2008 View Post
Thanks for your responses. I was just wondering how you all handle the Portal Law. We do mostly commercial work that requires long distance travel. We do carry WC, GL, we have a PCO and we pay very fair wages. However, it is annoying to watch employees sleep for an hour while most of America commutes an hour paying their own gas and in rush hour traffic. Thank you.
You make no sense, do they live at your shop? They had to get to your show up didn't they?
Old 03-31-2012, 12:47 AM
LawnSite Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by unkownfl View Post
You make no sense, do they live at your shop? They had to get to your show up didn't they?
Well, I believe you meant to say "they have to get to my shop don't they"? They do get there, but they are picked up by my business partner. Hence, there is no expense paid out of their pockets to get there. On certain days, we have to travel about 45 min to the HOA's that we maintain once they are dropped off at the shop. So, it does not make sense to me that if their travel is taken care of and they sleep on the way to this first job why would I have to pay them all that time if no work has been done? Of course, the field supervisors are paid to drive from the time they leave, but the guys that do no work should not be paid until they get to the job site. The cases that have been tried by Florida Law support this arrangement. My sole intention was to see how your businesses were arranged and your opinions on this matter. I have no intention to be unfair to my guys, but I pay way above normal wage to get quality workers and I believe this is a fair arrangement.
Old 03-31-2012, 08:52 AM
LawnSite Gold Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by GXL2008 View Post
The cases that have been tried by Florida Law support this arrangement.
I am sure they do not support this arrangement. That is why John Morgan and every other lawyer is running ads for employees not being paid commute time, overtime etc etc huh! Like I said in my first post..it is a fine line and approved for certain positions in certain industries.

K.E.L - has a office in the TAMPA area and they have what they call Walk In wednesday where you can walk in without a appointment and free of charge and discuss your case. Maybe you should try this and tell him your situation and how you are running your operation and see if he agrees that it is a good business practice.

Providing Lawn Services, Landscape Installations and Solutions and Sod Services in the Oviedo Florida Market

If you aspire to a six-figure income, don't get advice from someone making $18,000 a year!
Old 03-31-2012, 10:05 AM
LawnSite Member

Thanks
Posted via Mobile Device
Old 03-31-2012, 11:34 AM
LawnSite Gold Member

Check my fuzzy math. You travel an hour each way with no pay. Then you put in a full day.So with that if your paying them say,10 an hr. I figure your shorting them 250 bucks a week.