Register free!
Search

Click for Weather

Old 03-30-2012, 08:22 AM
LawnSite Fanatic

I say turn him in. There is a reason for licenses ACCOUNTABILITY. So tht when or if something goes wrong or someone gets sick, they can see wht chemicals were put down and resolve it. Not only do licenses protect us, they protect the public. In which our industry is fed by the public. It is your responsibility to as an educated & licensed business owner to protect the public and yourself/family from dumba$$ putting down chem/fert illegally.
Posted via Mobile Device
Old 03-30-2012, 08:31 AM
LawnSite Member

Darin let it go. Stop worrying what other people are doing. If you truly are as big as you say you are then you wouldn’t have time to deal with this. Stole your customer?? Really Geeze

Last edited by MNguy; 03-30-2012 at 08:38 AM.
Old 03-30-2012, 08:43 AM
LawnSite Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by KS_Grasscutter View Post
I guess I'm from the side of the fence that thinks it will catch up with him before long and its not really your place to intervene. Just set yourself apart by doing better work then him.
Posted via Mobile Device
EXACTLY being spiteful and a busybody "tattling" on people is childish
let it take care of itself and focus on other things
Old 03-30-2012, 09:32 AM
LawnSite Fanatic

Quote:
Originally Posted by MNguy View Post
Darin let it go. Stop worrying what other people are doing. If you truly are as big as you say you are then you wouldnít have time to deal with this. Stole your customer?? Really Geeze
I am not saying I am big time in this biz. Just bigger than that guy.
Would it affect you if you pulled up to a long time good customer and saw a Trubrown flag in the front yard? Just even a little?

Yes I have enough biz that I shouldn't concern myself with this dude. BUT there are enough other guys on this thread saying turn him in. What does that say?
21" Toro SR4 Super Recycler
Stihl KM90 Kombi w/ straight shaft trimmer & tiller heads
Husqvarna 125B Blower
PG Magnum
Turfco XT5 Aerator
Turfco LS-22 Overseeder
EcoLawn 200 Applicator

I can do all things through Him who gives me strength.
Philippians 4:13
Old 03-30-2012, 09:53 AM
LawnSite Fanatic

This isn't about losing a customer. Its about the illegal application of chemicals. Atleast Trubrown puts mostly water (lol). Who knows what tht guy is putting down, or if he is using correct application practices. Others may not care, but I'm sure the State and yur neighbors care about what's leaching into drains and other peoples property.
Posted via Mobile Device
Old 03-30-2012, 10:12 AM
LawnSite Gold Member

I'm a mind your own business kind of guy. The best route is to tell the customer that he is not liscensed and that since he applied fert that he messed up your application schedule on his lawn. If the customer wants to use an unliscensed person it is by there own choice.

If I spent time worring about whether someone was legal or not I'd probably go out of business. Best thing to do is to inform your customers that you are a legal applicator and hopefully if they bid you out they will remember and ask the other companies about there liscenses.

Good luck. Be careful about buring bridges you might get stuck!
Old 03-30-2012, 10:16 AM
LawnSite Fanatic

As hard as I worked to get a Florida CPO, you better Believe I get super up tight about Illegal applicators. They are stealing mine or some CPO's work and dragging down my industry. I won't turn in a Guy spraying Roundup, etc. I am talking the guys wholesale spreading Grub Control or spraying weeds in the turf.

It is easier to Smile and Wave at them as you dial the Dept of Agriculture and E mail that Picture.

"TG doesn't give a rats ass about being "Responsible" as long as sales/production quotas are met. That's it in a nutshell. A recipe for disaster IMO." Ted Putnam 2/28/14

You can lead a Donkey to water but you can't make the Jackass Drink

"As Americans you have the right to be stupid." John Kerry

"Life is tough, but it's tougher when you're stupid.Ē John Wayne.
Old 03-30-2012, 10:28 AM
LawnSite Fanatic

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ric View Post
It is easier to Smile and Wave at them as you dial the Dept of Agriculture and E mail that Picture.

BINGO!!!
Posted via Mobile Device
Old 03-30-2012, 11:05 AM
LawnSite Silver Member

It seems to me there are 2 parts to this story.

#1 is the part about this person applying without proper licenses. I would definitely report him. I have done this several times and will continue to do so. At first I didn't but eventually I realized nothing would change if I didn't. These persons were not going to stop out of good conscience and the homeowner's were going to turn them in or stop because they feel like they are getting a service "cheaper" than someone who is properly licensed. There is nothing "Sticky" about this. You are the only one who will report him and it is the clear cut right thing to do.

#2 is the part about the other services (legitimately I assume) that this person is performing. You mention he is doing business in your neighborhood and it peeves you. If he obtained the business in an legal and ethical manner I don't see what your problem is other than personal pride. You can't expect to get all the work everywhere.
Old 03-30-2012, 03:19 PM
LawnSite Silver Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by ArTurf View Post
It seems to me there are 2 parts to this story.

#1 is the part about this person applying without proper licenses. I would definitely report him. I have done this several times and will continue to do so. At first I didn't but eventually I realized nothing would change if I didn't. These persons were not going to stop out of good conscience and the homeowner's were going to turn them in or stop because they feel like they are getting a service "cheaper" than someone who is properly licensed. There is nothing "Sticky" about this. You are the only one who will report him and it is the clear cut right thing to do.

#2 is the part about the other services (legitimately I assume) that this person is performing. You mention he is doing business in your neighborhood and it peeves you. If he obtained the business in an legal and ethical manner I don't see what your problem is other than personal pride. You can't expect to get all the work everywhere.
Ditto......