Register free!
Search

The Green Industry's Resource Center

Click for Weather

Old 03-30-2012, 07:52 AM
LawnSite Bronze Member

Would this be a waste of effort

I've noticed in the past couple of years my best leads have come from people who fill out my form on my website or call after visiting the website and the worst leads are from when the phone rings from a paper ad. I've debated running a small ad with just my website listed along with services etc... (yes i know this is generally a waste anyways but I'd like to do something as I'm moving)

Waste of money? Lose out on people?

I feel it will eliminate some of the people I am not looking for. As in those who open a paper and call the entire list of companies. I'm not cheap, not desperate, and honestly only want people who care about good service. I figure if someone is really interested they'll go take a look at my site to see what I offer first. And the phone number is on it in big bold letters everywhere.

What's your take on this?
Old 03-30-2012, 08:24 AM
LawnSite Silver Member

It's always a good idea to work your web address in to anything you do. What you're discovering is that it's another way of pre-qualifying your leads. It's easy to be reading the paper (something that is lessening every single day) and make a phone call. If someone is pulling up your web site, they've come to you.

If someone sees your newspaper ad, makes note of the web address, visits the site, gets educated as to what you offer and then calls or emails you, they've another layer or two of lead pre-qualification and, as you're finding, those make the best possible customer candidates.
Old 03-30-2012, 08:55 AM
LawnSite Bronze Member

Good idea.
Posted via Mobile Device
Old 03-30-2012, 08:56 AM
LawnSite Bronze Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by tonygreek View Post
It's always a good idea to work your web address in to anything you do. What you're discovering is that it's another way of pre-qualifying your leads. It's easy to be reading the paper (something that is lessening every single day) and make a phone call. If someone is pulling up your web site, they've come to you.

If someone sees your newspaper ad, makes note of the web address, visits the site, gets educated as to what you offer and then calls or emails you, they've another layer or two of lead pre-qualification and, as you're finding, those make the best possible customer candidates.
These are my thoughts exactly. I think I may give it a try as the advertising isn't too expensive (which can problematic to begin with but is what I can work with at the moment.) If I get nothing then it's a lesson learned but if the phone rings I know it's because they've at least checked out my site to see what I can offer. I have enough work this year for what I need but getting more is always a good thing. I just get really tired of returning phone calls and doing estimates that are simply a waste of time. I do return all phone calls. I just need to come up with questions to better screen callers without saying "Hey are you going to be one of those cheapo's looking for a cheap deal, if so this isn't the place for one. Here you get quality and customer service, and a customer to business relationship like no where else." Buuuuuuttt that line just wont go over to well.
Old 03-30-2012, 09:13 AM
LawnSite Bronze Member

Also in this day and age I can get the emails and web form fill out instantly with my phone. So its just as easy to get back to someone asap. My feeling is the generation that has the money is very educated in the internet and wants to see what they're getting into before calling. I noticed my site had a ton of hits the other day and wouldn't you know it that day I recieved a bid sheet for a large business complex. Although out of my league and I turned it down, it shows my site worked. I know if I need work done (which is rare) I look to a website and see what they offer or actually go to the place and look around and ask questions face to face.
Old 03-30-2012, 10:57 AM
LawnSite Silver Member

The other benefit of the site is that people do the vast majority of their internet research during business hours, and besides, we're moving farther and farther away from real, live human interaction and significantly more towards text/email only. Also, it's easier to email you or fill out your form than it is to call you, especially while on the boss' dime... lol

Tony
Old 03-30-2012, 11:48 AM
LawnSite Bronze Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by tonygreek View Post
The other benefit of the site is that people do the vast majority of their internet research during business hours, and besides, we're moving farther and farther away from real, live human interaction and significantly more towards text/email only. Also, it's easier to email you or fill out your form than it is to call you, especially while on the boss' dime... lol

Tony
This is the truth. It's too bad we are losing the actual human interaction. I've met many young people who can no longer carry on a converstation. Every second of the day they are glued to their phones with text messages and emoticons. Even on these forums I can start to feel lost with the language of the young guys. I have to admit I cannot stand talking on the phone to a potential client. When I get a chance to meet with them face to face is when I shine.

I think I will pursue this option of website only to see what happens. I really hope it acts as a filter and not a road block.
Old 03-30-2012, 12:25 PM
LawnSite Senior Member

Is it possible that the paper has become a waste of money for you?
Posted via Mobile Device
Old 03-30-2012, 12:26 PM
LawnSite Gold Member

I try different forms of advertising.Newspaper ads are ok but if your working in a limited are and get a call from Grand Island,will you travel from Hamburg? With your website tracking are you able to see were each hit came from?
Old 03-30-2012, 01:29 PM
LawnSite Bronze Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by grandview (2006) View Post
I try different forms of advertising.Newspaper ads are ok but if your working in a limited are and get a call from Grand Island,will you travel from Hamburg? With your website tracking are you able to see were each hit came from?
Unfortunately my web hosting doesn't do that, from what I understand (which is not much ha!). I need to get a better software program to build a better site or get someone to do if for me, but for now it does what I need for as small as I am. I don't mind traveling around WNY area for landscaping work(mulch, installs, sod, etc..). Once I get more established in Hamburg/OP I'll only travel for installs. I'm not doing lawns this year, unless they happen to fall into my lap. I'd advertise in the local papers for Hamburg and Orchard Park plus I'm from that area and word has spread I'm moving back and people are asking for quotes, but we all know how that goes. I might even be doing a job up in your neck of the woods for a family memember. I'm just done with the phone calls from granny or mr & mrs "can you purchase this from home depot because its cheaper" types.