Register free!
Search

The Green Industry's Resource Center

Click for Weather

Old 07-02-2000, 12:46 PM
THEgr8ONE

as i read posts on this forum. it seems that alot of experts think that every one started as scrubs or the same way. and alot of you think that is the right way and thats that.i think you are wrong. whats wrong with coming up with a buissness plan and and going to school (like maybee college) for lets say maybee a goodone would be buisness. then go and get some financing and start a buisness the wright way. not getting your old mans mtd out of the shed and through it in the trunk and call yourself a expert.thats why people think low of lawn maintenance companys because 80 percent of these guys are fly by night and thats it.do you think that a person opening up a store at the mall went to anouther store bought 200$ worth of merchandise and put it in his store to sell and when he did sell it used the 20$he made to buy more stuff.the point is if you are in the biz start right get financing make a plan market yourself and buy the right tools or you will fail.thats a fact 90% of the people wont be doing this in a year or 2.so if you are going into buisness why dont you go into it the right way. do you think the guy that owns burger king didn't have a buisness plan or financing
Old 07-02-2000, 03:48 PM
LawnSite Silver Member

The great one! I hate calling you that, don't you have a real name? But anyway, I think your right, that is the ideal way to do it, its just that everybody doesn't have that idea, or maybe isn't smart enough, or maybe doesn't have the credit, or maybe is to young and foolish still. I'll tell you what, before I joined the air force I did some landscaping and lawn care with my grandfathers &quot;ma and pa type&quot; construction and all around outdoor service kinda buisiness. Now I myself would never want to run a shop like he did, the ethics were there, he just didn't have the proffesionalism that is needed today, unlike the good ole' days when he was coming up, ya know. I have a business plan about 70% completed. My main stream biz will be small construction, hauling and concrete work. I have also planned branches to expand into grounds maintenace, pesticide and fertilizer app's, hydroseeding, etc. I also have a savings plan in action (for the past 5 years) and will go on for another 18 to be able to sart &quot;fresh&quot; with brand new equipment, and exatly want I want. But, its easy because I have another 18 years before I retire from the service to plan this out. Some people may have lost their job or something that caused them to earn a living. And I salute somebody who can come up from being a scrub and educate themselves in the business and be succesful some day. You have to lloka t both perspectives, but your right, oh Great one! That is the ideal plan for starting up!!<p><p>----------<br>&lt;a href=&quot;http://communities.msn.com/guidosequipmentpics/&quot;&gt;&quot;Guido&quot;&lt;/a&gt;<br>David M. Famiglietti<p>Okay, I'm back and not done, I forgot to make one very good point. Just because your a business man and you can afford to have the biggest best equipment DOES NOT MEAN THAT YOU WILL SUCCEED!!! I've seen spoiled little $hit heads laugh at me pushing my grandfathers old ancient scag as they drove by with their brand new turf tigers in their brand new trailer, with their shiney new truck. Do yuo know where I met them 3 months down the road? I had called about an ad in the paper for a turf tiger almost brand new, for an unbelievebly low price. You put 2 + 2 together!! They just didn't have it!<p>I think you need a balance of business skills and job skills to really, really succeed. No matter how good you are, will you know how to handle all that money your bringing in?? Do you know how to market when you need to? Do you know anything about investing? You need to have knowledge in both areas if you expect to expand!!<p>Okay I'm done for now I guess!<br><p><font size="1">Edited by: guido
Old 07-02-2000, 07:39 PM
LawnSite Member

I'm 25 and about to graduate from business school here in Dallas in December. I had planned to go work for a bank or brokerage after that, but the funniest thing happened to me last year...I bought a lawn care biz. Small time, only 30 big residentials right now. I planned on working it only until December when I could get a &quot;real job&quot;, but now I'm having second thoughts. I seem to like the lawn biz. I work 3 days a week right now, get time off when I need it, and get paid pretty darn good I think for the amount of time I work. Now I have a big decision to make here in the next couple of months-- go full-time, or get out and head for the air conditioned bank world? It takes a lot of capital, planning, and work to make it. People think I'm crazy to even consider it, but you guys make me think it's possible to make a decent living and not &quot;sell my soul to the enterprise.&quot; I like getting time to spend with my wife and friends, and working outside feels good-- though damn hot here in TX! I know everyone here is a little biased, but what do you guys think about it?
Old 07-02-2000, 08:53 PM
LawnSite Senior Member

You see gr8one, there are many ways to many things. I have a college degree myself, just for the record. I believe in what you are saying about a business plan. I'll add setting some goals to say it in another way. <br>I remember you're previous posts and how you like to broadly brush over everyone who meets certain criteria and call them a scrub. And maybe they are. I guess some of us are businessmen and some are definitely not.<br>However, I've seen a number of &quot;scrubs&quot; in different industries who have grown into mammoth sized operations. They didn't stay scrubs for long because they were businessmen.<br>My definition of a scrub is someone who doesn't know what he's doing and doesn't want to know, ever. The mower in the trunk is not where he started but the way he is and wants to stay.<br>What about the flipside of this coin, the guy who is so preoccupied with the newest equipment and looking good infront of the public yet is barely paying his bills and really has no sales ability and no customer base. He over-extended himself without having a clue about what he was doing. I am just as unimpressed with this guy.
Old 07-02-2000, 09:02 PM
LawnSite Bronze Member

gr8One,<br>Notice on the Who Where post started by Eric. The updates on what people started with are all very similar.<p>Going to school for an education will in no way harm your future.<p>I dont follow your analogy about the shop owner buying the $200 merchandise to sell for $20 profit?<p>90% wont be doing this in two years? Please quote a industry source.<p>I dont feel there is a right way or a wrong way to start a business. I didnt start with a business plan or financing. What would you finance, equipment without any customers? How do you plan to make payments while you establish a customer base, and pay student loans?<p>The guy who owns Burger King...I believe that Burger King is a publicly held corporation. Money for BK's expansion was funded through an IPO. Which makes the BK guy a shareholder, and he reports to a Board of Directors, which represent the other shareholders interests.<p>Guido's method is ideal, he has a vision and 18 years to accomplish his financial goals, plus a pension to keep things afloat if times are a rocky. <p>I think &quot;scrubs&quot; are just like sports rookies. Some will be stars, while others will be on the sidelines.<p>
Old 07-02-2000, 09:47 PM

Gr8one,, or however you spell that catchy nickname,, I'm assuming you went to college and got all so well educated. But it must not have taken too well, judging from your eloquent post. I sure hope you know how to write a proposal or contract that is more intelligible than your post. Having an education and a grand plan doesn't guarantee you much of anything.
Old 07-02-2000, 10:26 PM
LawnSite Member

Hard (very) work, and doing a superb job!!!<br>THe rest is icing
Old 07-03-2000, 03:55 AM
Millenium Member

Hey Gr8one, I had to edit you post SOME!<p>
Quote:
As I read posts on this forum, it seems that a lot of experts think that every one started as scrubs or the same way. A lot of you think that is the right way and that's, that. I think you are wrong. What's wrong with coming up with a business plan, and going to school (like maybe college), for lets say maybe a good one would be business. Then go and get some financing and start a business the right way. Not getting your old mans MTD out of the shed and throwing it in the trunk and call yourself an expert. That's why people think low of lawn maintenance companies, because 80 percent of these guys are fly by night and that's it. Do you think that a person opening up a store at the mall went to another store bought 200$ worth of merchandise and put it in his store to sell and when he did sell it used the 20$ he made to buy more stuff? The point is if you are in the biz start right get financing, make a plan, market yourself, and buy the right tools or you will fail, that's a fact. 90% of the people won't be doing this in a year or 2, so if you are going into business why don't you go into it the right way? Do you think the guy that owns Burger King didn't have a business plan or financing?
<p>I edited your statement because of the difficulty I had reading it due to the multitude of grammar and spelling errors! I would suggest when typing a statement recommending people go to college, you try your best to use at least 4th grade grammar and a spell checker. I just don't understand why some folks can't use the shift key and capitalize some letters, makes for much easier reading. As for me, I graduated high school and no college. I think the whole &quot;everybody started as a scrub&quot; was a direct result from your first post where you made a very BROAD statement about part time people and went further by naming police, and firefighters as scrubs. Your first post statement would place almost everyone as a scrub, the second post was much better. It made since, and, from your second post I would not be a scrub and neither would many others here.<p>Ray<p><p>----------<br>Ray Kirby - Kirby's Cuttin' Edge Lawn Maintenance<br>Home Page, My Truck, Lawn Photos<br><p><font size="1">Edited by: KirbysLawn
Old 07-03-2000, 07:48 AM

Its spelled &quot;College&quot; Ray. Damn don't think anyone one hear has spellcheck. LOL hahahaha
Old 07-03-2000, 07:54 AM
Husband, Father, Friend, Angel

It is spelled HERE Charles, I agree, we all make mistakes, me included.<p>----------<br>&lt;a href=&quot;http://pages.prodigy.net/eric.erickson/&quot;&gt;Eric@ELM&lt;/a&gt;<br>