Register free!
Search

The Green Industry's Resource Center

Click for Weather

Old 07-03-2000, 08:03 AM
Banned

Location: anthracite valley, commonwealth of pennsylvania Winter residence: Charlotte County FLA
PLEASE Eric speak for yourself.<p>Here is a spell checker for edit boxes that's<br>freeware. I have not installed my copy yet<br>since I am the original great one.<p>Go get it boys:<p>http://www.quinion.com/mqa/spell.htm<p>
Old 07-03-2000, 08:03 AM
LawnSite Member

ya and he misspelled &quot;sense&quot; and &quot;your&quot;! Lol dont worry im kidding!
Old 07-03-2000, 08:33 AM
LawnSite Bronze Member

Thank you Stone. This may be the most valuable tool many of you will ever own. I don't need the spell checker since I was an editor in a past life. But if some of you print contracts that are anything like your posts then I find it hard to believe that you have one commercial customer. Look and act professional at all times (even while surfing Lawnsite).
Old 07-03-2000, 09:52 AM
LawnSite Senior Member

Marquis Lawn-Your right i'm biased.I love my job.I think you will have to make a choice!The thing I like most about this business is I call the shots you will still have a boss only this time you will have 30+ bosses.But the good thing is you can tell those bosses to hit the road!!!!Fresh air.Fun machines.The list goes on!You will have to choose!Don't just flip a coin,think about it for awhile.Maby continue for a year with the lawn care and then choose!The nice thing about your lawn care business is you can allways quit that and look for a good office job!Hope this helps!<p>----------<br>from:Adam<br>AB Lawn Care
Old 07-03-2000, 10:58 AM
Husband, Father, Friend, Angel

I don't feel that everyone starting out was a scrub, but we all started out at the bottom unless the business was passed down to you. What ammazes me is, we have 1115 members, but only about 100 have equipment listed on the WWW forum. What does the other 1000 members use to mow with? They could at least put down what brand sissors they use. <p>----------<br>&lt;a href=&quot;http://pages.prodigy.net/eric.erickson/&quot;&gt;Eric@ELM&lt;/a&gt;<br>
Old 07-03-2000, 12:30 PM
LawnSite Bronze Member

Hello,<p>I haven't even read the previous posts fully yet, but I got the jist of them.<p>Here's my comment on 'starting out' as a 'scrub'<p>How the hell else can you start out any other way these days!<p>To me, this whole business is becoming way to complicated. Between insurance, accountants, taxes, new equipment, new computer programs, new this, new that, whatever, its not just a matter of 'starting' anymore. <p>I have been working part time on my business and all I have to say is this....<p>I JUST WANT TO WORK!<p>However, you know how hard that is these days.<p>50 years ago, you just about could have a lawnmower, a truck, and a bank account to deposit you checks in, and you were in business. <p>Not these days.<p>Now, its neverending. I just want to do what I do best, and thats landscaping.<p>I love doing construction. I love building walls, planting trees, mowing grass, whatever.<p>The problem is, I can't because I'm too worried about having a &quot;workman's&quot; comp claim, a insurance problem, a tax problem, or any kind of problem.<p>The business is SOOOOO complicated these days. <p>What ever happened to &quot;I mowed your grass, heres my bill&quot;, and then &quot;thank you&quot;<p>With all these &quot;sue&quot; happy people, you can't just work these days. <p>So, I say this.<p>If working hard, doing a good job, and getting a pay check for doing what you like to do is being a scrub, then THAT I AM.<p>I hate the 'system' and what it has come to these days. <p>Soon, only the &quot;wealthy, spoiled brats&quot; will be able to start in this business because they will be the only people who have there 'daddy's' help and there 'daddy's' insurance company, and there 'daddy's accountant' to help them get started. <p>For everyone else, we will just have to live with the term &quot;scrub&quot;, at least untill the day when we can be &quot;daddy&quot; and have our own &quot;spoiled, brat&quot; son to give our money to and have him do EVERYTHING the way 'society' wants him too. <p>
Old 07-03-2000, 06:20 PM
LawnSite Fanatic

Hey Gr8one. I hope your name refers to Wayne Gretzky instead of yourself because arrogant people make me sick. I think it is fine for someone to start out as a scrub, but being a scrub should only be a stage and not a lifestyle. Sometimes the scrubs are not stupid and know their finacial limitations. Another thing, being in the lawn maintanence business does not require a college education. However, I do think that a college education would be very helpful when landscaping. I am 17 and currently own a lawn care setup, but I plan to go to college and major in accounting and minor in landscaping.I think a plan is needed, but a college education is not required.<p>Just my opinion,<br>Rick Wallace<br>LawnWorks
Old 07-03-2000, 07:04 PM

It's &quot;amazes&quot; Eric. I think lol. Pay back time. I was including myself. But there is a difference in just getting in a hurry and misspelling something. And just not knowing how to spell.
Old 07-03-2000, 10:24 PM
Husband, Father, Friend, Angel

Charles, Opps, you got me on that one. I know what you mean on the spelling thing. I guess I need to proof read my posts before I submit them. As I said before, all these post haven't helped my spelling much, but my grammar sure did get more better. LOL <br> <p>----------<br>&lt;a href=&quot;http://pages.prodigy.net/eric.erickson/&quot;&gt;Eric@ELM&lt;/a&gt;<br>
Old 07-03-2000, 11:17 PM
LawnSite Member

thanks kirmit i mean kirby. Why does this bother you are you a teacher or somthing.If all you can say about the guy is he spelled somthing wrong or did not use a period id say he hit a nerve with you.I wouldnt let someones grammer get to me.Ihave to many outher things on my mind