What Mower?

Hello,
I'm in a dilemma about mowers. Here's my requirements:

- About 2.5 acres to mow
- About half is heavily landscaped, half is open
- The open half is bumpy
- The landscaped half is hilly
- I have lots of leaves in the fall

For years I used a Ransomes Twin Trac 2000 (kind of like a walker) which I purchased with my house. I still have it, but the Onan engine has gone bad. I'd consider repowering it, but it never did cut very well and it was very difficult to work on.
When the engine went bad I bought a used Toro 52" walk behind. My boys have been cutting the lawn for a couple years with that, but they are off at college now, and I am not physically able to use the walk behind.
So I need a rider. I'd like to get a Walker, but new ones are out of my price range, and its hard to find used mower that I think I can trust. I want something I can rely on to work properly for a long time without major repairs,which is why I'm looking at commercial mowers for a residential application. So in other words I want a new, high quality mower for the price of a cheap one!! LOL It also needs to have a good grass collection system for picking up leaves in the fall.
Here's my concerns. I think a zero turn mid mount would be hard to control on my hills and bumpy areas. A tractor with a belly mount mower wouldn't be maneuverable enough. Neither one of those seem to offer good leaf pickup options - Or do they? And a front mount is too expensive. So what should I get?
I'm wide open on suggestions as long as they meet my needs.
Old 04-29-2014, 03:18 PM
LawnSite Platinum Member

How big is the property and what is your price range?
Posted via Mobile Device
Old 04-29-2014, 03:57 PM
LawnSite Member

2.5 acres. My price range is variable depending on how I feel about the value of what I'm buying. That's part of my problem, that I don't know if a new residential unit would be better than a used commercial unit, and in either case what brand is better than another for my application and once I decide on the brand and model, should I buy new or used?
Old 04-29-2014, 04:28 PM
LawnSite Platinum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by bravenrace View Post
2.5 acres. My price range is variable depending on how I feel about the value of what I'm buying. That's part of my problem, that I don't know if a new residential unit would be better than a used commercial unit, and in either case what brand is better than another for my application and once I decide on the brand and model, should I buy new or used?
To me it sounds like you would like a front deck grasshopper with T drive and a dump grass catcher. I would find a used diesel. New they are 15-18k. Used is less than half.
Posted via Mobile Device
Old 04-29-2014, 04:47 PM
LawnSite Senior Member

Get a John Deere X700 series mower. A 4x4 will be good on a property like that and they have a good residential warranty, with free pickup and delivery etc.
Posted via Mobile Device
Old 04-29-2014, 05:12 PM
LawnSite Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by JCLawn and more View Post
To me it sounds like you would like a front deck grasshopper with T drive and a dump grass catcher. I would find a used diesel. New they are 15-18k. Used is less than half.
Posted via Mobile Device
Why that instead of a Walker or an equivalent Exmark? Also, when looking at used commercial mowers, and with the understanding that maintenance and condition also matter, what kind of hours are considered to be too many?
Old 04-29-2014, 05:35 PM
LawnSite Platinum Member

Quote:
Hello,
I'm in a dilemma about mowers. Here's my requirements:

- About 2.5 acres to mow
- About half is heavily landscaped, half is open
- The open half is bumpy
- The landscaped half is hilly
- I have lots of leaves in the fall

For years I used a Ransomes Twin Trac 2000 (kind of like a walker) which I purchased with my house. I still have it, but the Onan engine has gone bad. I'd consider repowering it, but it never did cut very well and it was very difficult to work on.
When the engine went bad I bought a used Toro 52" walk behind. My boys have been cutting the lawn for a couple years with that, but they are off at college now, and I am not physically able to use the walk behind.
So I need a rider. I'd like to get a Walker, but new ones are out of my price range, and its hard to find used mower that I think I can trust. I want something I can rely on to work properly for a long time without major repairs,which is why I'm looking at commercial mowers for a residential application. So in other words I want a new, high quality mower for the price of a cheap one!! LOL It also needs to have a good grass collection system for picking up leaves in the fall.
Here's my concerns. I think a zero turn mid mount would be hard to control on my hills and bumpy areas. A tractor with a belly mount mower wouldn't be maneuverable enough. Neither one of those seem to offer good leaf pickup options - Or do they? And a front mount is too expensive. So what should I get?
I'm wide open on suggestions as long as they meet my needs.
For bumpy and hilly conditions I would look at a Scag Cheetah, Ferris 3100, and a Gravely 400 series. Demo them all on your property. All also have bagging systems available.
Posted via Mobile Device
Old 04-29-2014, 05:55 PM
LawnSite Platinum Member

Quote:
Why that instead of a Walker or an equivalent Exmark? Also, when looking at used commercial mowers, and with the understanding that maintenance and condition also matter, what kind of hours are considered to be too many?
Why a diesel GH over walker? GH is faster and less maintenance with cheaper parts. T drive have no hydro belts. The wear parts on a newer GH are 3 deck bearings, 2 drive shaft bearings, 2 belts on the back and a gear box. the grass catchers are also bigger on GH. If you find a diesel the engines are 8000+ hrs engines. I would not mind buying one with 2k+ hrs.
Posted via Mobile Device
Old 04-29-2014, 07:40 PM
LawnSite Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by GMLC View Post
For bumpy and hilly conditions I would look at a Scag Cheetah, Ferris 3100, and a Gravely 400 series. Demo them all on your property. All also have bagging systems available.
Posted via Mobile Device
What about those machines make them better for bumpy/hilly conditions?
Old 04-29-2014, 07:44 PM
LawnSite Platinum Member

Quote:
What about those machines make them better for bumpy/hilly conditions?
The Ferris has 4 wheel independent suspension, the Cheetah has a suspended platform and the Gravely has an air seat with three isolated platforms. These are the best handling machines on the market today. Plus they all have great cut quality.
Posted via Mobile Device