Register free!
Search

The Green Industry's Resource Center

Click for Weather

Old 04-30-2012, 05:22 AM
LawnSite Senior Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by mtmower View Post

I am pretty sure it includes mulch kits, and accessories at time of purchase, but I do not believe that it includes service parts.

FYI
i got the OCDC's and mulch kits with both of mine and got them discounted as well under the program. yes they both fully close off the chute. they slide up and down. all the way up is fully open as well.

that print flyer must be some promo thing they have going on. He was saying you have to take the 20% off of full list price. The list has to be 12,500 at least to keep you at the 10k minimum after the discount.

I don't think service parts are included either. just machine accessories.

the bottom line is they have to have at least 10k of your money

2011 Gravely 252 26HP
2011 Gravely Pro Walk 36 Hydro 16HP
1 Stihl KM110 with hedge trimmer and edger
2 Stihl FS90 - Stihl HS45
Husky 435 16" - Stihl MS290 18"
Stihl BR600 - Husky BT150 - Stihl BG85
Generac 3100-PSI 2.8-GPM Pressure Washer
Jungle Jim 3TR and 2BH
82"x16' open trailer
2007 F150 FX2 5.4
Lots of Locks!

"It is not hard what we do. It's like anything else in life. Add will power, desire, and the ability to look for solutions...not excuses. Then you will succeed."
Old 04-30-2012, 10:28 AM
LawnSite Bronze Member

Thanks for the feed back watsmi57. How do you like either the OCDC or the mulch kits?

Can someone with a 400 series tell me how many grease zirks there are on the machine and where they are located?
Old 04-30-2012, 10:37 AM
LawnSite Platinum Member

Quote:
Thanks for the feed back watsmi57. How do you like either the OCDC or the mulch kits?

Can someone with a 400 series tell me how many grease zirks there are on the machine and where they are located?
Zero....This was one of my concerns in the begining. Gravely asured me they have not had any problems. It is a hard habbit to break. Im so use to greasing spindles etc. etc.
Posted via Mobile Device
Old 04-30-2012, 10:49 AM
LawnSite Bronze Member

So nothing even on the idler/tensioner for the hydro belt or deck belt or on the front wheel bearings? Wow. This will be tough. If it actually works long term talk about being spoiled. People will buy Gravely just out of laziness and not wanting to do maintenance. Next will be sealed and filterless hydro systems and engines! You wouldn't think they would do this for financial reasons. I mean how much does a hand full of zirks cost? If anything I'd think it would cost more to find quality materials that are completely sealed or work in place of a constantly greased point. And I thought the nine on a Hustler was a cake walk!
Old 04-30-2012, 11:29 AM
LawnSite Senior Member

I love my OCDC on both mowers! They are great! I think they should come standard on all mowers. Being able to open and close off the deck on the fly is very useful. I run without the rubber chute as well. Once I had the OCDC on both mowers. I did not see the point in the rubber anymore. I have never even tried my mulch kits because the OCDC's have worked so well for me.

as long as they are installed correctly they will fully close, or fully open, or any variation in between.

2011 Gravely 252 26HP
Jungle Jim 3TR and 2BH
82"x16' open trailer
2007 F150 FX2 5.4
Lots of Locks!

"It is not hard what we do. It's like anything else in life. Add will power, desire, and the ability to look for solutions...not excuses. Then you will succeed."
Old 04-30-2012, 11:58 AM
LawnSite Bronze Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by watsmi57 View Post
I love my OCDC on both mowers! They are great! I think they should come standard on all mowers. Being able to open and close off the deck on the fly is very useful. I run without the rubber chute as well. Once I had the OCDC on both mowers. I did not see the point in the rubber anymore. I have never even tried my mulch kits because the OCDC's have worked so well for me.

as long as they are installed correctly they will fully close, or fully open, or any variation in between.
Thanks again for the info. I believe your mowers may have come with ribbed pneumatics on the front instead of the no flats the 400s come with. If so can you tell me what brand? I have a couple Carlisles for my Hustlers and want to see if Gravely uses the same. If not I'll want to buy a couple for quick replacement.
Old 04-30-2012, 12:37 PM
LawnSite Senior Member

My WB has no flat front casters. The 252 has Americana z Pro 15x6.00-6 on the front. They are smooth tires. I have tubes in them both already. I almost went to no flats after I got it but I hear they are rougher on the turf and the ride. To the best of my knowledge 2010 was the last year they used the ribbed front caster tire.

2011 Gravely 252 26HP
Jungle Jim 3TR and 2BH
82"x16' open trailer
2007 F150 FX2 5.4
Lots of Locks!

Old 04-30-2012, 04:46 PM
LawnSite Gold Member

Quote:
So nothing even on the idler/tensioner for the hydro belt or deck belt or on the front wheel bearings? Wow. This will be tough. If it actually works long term talk about being spoiled. People will buy Gravely just out of laziness and not wanting to do maintenance. Next will be sealed and filterless hydro systems and engines! You wouldn't think they would do this for financial reasons. I mean how much does a hand full of zirks cost? If anything I'd think it would cost more to find quality materials that are completely sealed or work in place of a constantly greased point. And I thought the nine on a Hustler was a cake walk!

Just replaced the caster bearings this spring at 1350 hours on the 160z. They fell apart and were dry. I do not like no grease fittings at all. First mower without them and first time we have ever had castor bearings go bad........ go figure
Posted via Mobile Device
2004 Gravely 34Z
1998 Lazer Z HP 48 (old faithful)
Old 04-30-2012, 05:00 PM
LawnSite Bronze Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by ProStreetCamaro View Post
Just replaced the caster bearings this spring at 1350 hours on the 160z. They fell apart and were dry. I do not like no grease fittings at all. First mower without them and first time we have ever had castor bearings go bad........ go figure
Posted via Mobile Device
The Super Zs do not have zirks o the casters either and I think it's not uncommon in the caster area now not to have them. No problems on the SZs in the caster area even without fittings. I'm more concerned about the idler/tensioners not having them. Lots of movement and vibration there. I questioned the deck lift/pivot point not having fittings and the response I was given made a lot of sense. I was told they use a nylon bushing instead. Once the bushing wears enough you would need to replace them, but I'm told it's not very common at all to need it. The upside is less vibration and noise transmitted to the machine from the deck. Almost acts like an isolator. Also the pipe within a pipe plus a fitting like Hustler and many others run is good for a long time if kept greased, but once you have wear in these parts, what do you do? It's part of the frame so you looking at basically working with a sloppy deck (which most of us with high hrs. do), expensive fixes, or an new mower.
Old 04-30-2012, 05:18 PM
LawnSite Fanatic

mtnmower & PSC-

this may be of interest to you, then again, maybe not. I am not a big Harbour Freight fan, but they do have a couple things every now and then that are useful. My neighbor goes there constantly, and picked up a few of their grease "needles". You fasten them to your grease gun, then stick the needle down in between the seal and the bearing in sealed bearings (not through the seal) and inject grease into them to help prolong their lifespan. The needle is small and doesn't really do any damage to your seals when use correctly, but it does allow you to get new grease in and around the bearings. I have one myself, but have had no actual reason to use it yet. I did however, try it on a couple of my sealed bearings and it does work. Just thought I'd throw that out there to consider.