Register free!

The Green Industry's Resource Center

Old 05-01-2012, 02:08 AM
LawnSite Bronze Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ridin' Green View Post
mtnmower & PSC-

this may be of interest to you, then again, maybe not. I am not a big Harbour Freight fan, but they do have a couple things every now and then that are useful. My neighbor goes there constantly, and picked up a few of their grease "needles". You fasten them to your grease gun, then stick the needle down in between the seal and the bearing in sealed bearings (not through the seal) and inject grease into them to help prolong their lifespan. The needle is small and doesn't really do any damage to your seals when use correctly, but it does allow you to get new grease in and around the bearings. I have one myself, but have had no actual reason to use it yet. I did however, try it on a couple of my sealed bearings and it does work. Just thought I'd throw that out there to consider.
Thanks for the heads up. I'll have to look into one.
Old 05-04-2012, 03:22 PM
LawnSite Platinum Member

I want to update my review of the 400 series as I have been cutting in the rain for almost 6 days now. No clumps, stringers or double cutting. I have been very impressed with the X-Factor deck in wet conditions. Honestly the velocity deck has a better discharge pattern but the X-Factor is still very impressive in these adverse conditions. Also I have not had any traction problems on wet grass and hillside stability is awesome.
Attached Images

Last edited by GMLC; 05-04-2012 at 03:29 PM.
Old 05-04-2012, 05:20 PM
LawnSite Bronze Member

Looks good! Can you tell me if the hr meter also has the tach option on the 400? Some of the mowers I demoed and my Z spray has a SecDec that has a tach and also a maintenance reminder that can be reset by pushing a little gray button on the face.
Old 05-04-2012, 07:48 PM
LawnSite Platinum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by mtmower View Post
Looks good! Can you tell me if the hr meter also has the tach option on the 400? Some of the mowers I demoed and my Z spray has a SecDec that has a tach and also a maintenance reminder that can be reset by pushing a little gray button on the face.
I now it is a SecDec and has the maintenance reminders. I dont know about a tach. Oh and the bagging system does come off with 4 bolts.
Old 05-04-2012, 11:15 PM
LawnSite Senior Member

No clumping,decent discharge ,mows in the wet,sounds like you made the right choice going Gravely.Do you know if their walk behinds are of the same caliber?
Old 05-04-2012, 11:21 PM
LawnSite Bronze Member

GMLC in light of our past discussions and differences of opinion on certain topics (such as what constitutes "commercial grade"), it makes me feel all "warm and fuzzy " inside to know that we both agree that there is a lot of serious "commercial grade" equipment out there that doesn't have "Scag" written on it!

Glad you're diggin' your new ride, and I'm enjoying all of the pics and evaluations!

Stan

Last edited by StanWilhite; 05-04-2012 at 11:23 PM. Reason: clarity
Old 05-04-2012, 11:30 PM
LawnSite Platinum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Snapper Jack View Post
No clumping,decent discharge ,mows in the wet,sounds like you made the right choice going Gravely.Do you know if their walk behinds are of the same caliber?
Sorry I havent tried the walkbehinds. I dont know if they have the x-factor deck? They do look really nice especially the pro steer controls. I will be spending a lot of time on Gravely's new stander soon and will review it.
Posted via Mobile Device
Old 05-04-2012, 11:32 PM
LawnSite Platinum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by StanWilhite View Post
GMLC in light of our past discussions and differences of opinion on certain topics (such as what constitutes "commercial grade"), it makes me feel all "warm and fuzzy " inside to know that we both agree that there is a lot of serious "commercial grade" equipment out there that doesn't have "Scag" written on it!

Glad you're diggin' your new ride, and I'm enjoying all of the pics and evaluations!

Stan
Thanks! I did loose a lot of sleep at first not buying orange for the first time in 15 years.
Posted via Mobile Device
Old 05-04-2012, 11:37 PM
LawnSite Bronze Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by GMLC View Post
Thanks! I did loose a lot of sleep at first not buying orange for the first time in 15 years.
Posted via Mobile Device
I'll bet you did...but.....looks like you made the right decision. My son bought a new 252 back in '07 or so, and he's been very happy with it. I'm sure you will be too.
Stan
Old 05-07-2012, 11:47 PM
LawnSite Member

Hey all, I dont usually post much on here, but I do read quite a bit. I thought I might share my experience with my Gravely mower over the years.

I purchased my Gravely Promaster 250Z mower somewhere around 1999 - 2000 brand new. I originally purchased for commercial mowing use, and used it as such until 2006 when I got out of the mowing business all together. These days she has an easy life mowing my 3 acre property.

Im going to list the broken parts I have replaced on her over the years, and you can make your mind up about Gravely from there.

Shortly after purchasing my Gravely I had the electric clutch for the deck blades go out. This was replaced under warranty no charge. She is on her third set of belts, the first set was damaged when the clutch went out, so to be fair I have only had to put 1 belt on at my own expense. I am on my 3rd set of blades. 2nd set of steer tires, the drive tires are original. The seat kill switch is bad, I just need to get a new switch to fix it.

Thats it. Thats the whole list of broken parts in about 12 years of owning her. Air, oil and fuel filters get replaced at least once a season. But, Ive never even changed the spark plugs on the unit. I added lights, and a tow hitch to her. I always run synthetic oil and change twice a summer just because...

Over the years I have demo'd multiple different brands of mowers, and have always stuck with my Gravely. I just cant find anything superior enough to this little mower to justify me spending money. The only real things I can find fault with this mower. The weight, she is heavy. A new operator does have to be extra careful turning or you will rip grass very quickly. I hate changing the blades. The best way I have found is to roll it up on car ramps and lay on the ground. Thats a pain in the butt.

Images were taken today, right after I gave her a bath.

Oh, and yeah. Before somebody asks. That is the original seat. Not a scratch on it, it could literally pass for new.