Register free!

The Green Industry's Resource Center

Old 03-31-2012, 01:39 AM
LawnSite Platinum Member

A couple things I forgot to mention. The frame has dedicated tie down areas fabricated into it. Also the deck is hung with control rods instead of chains to prevent the 200 pound deck from swaying on hills. I will get a good test on hills and update the review. Another thing that impressed me about Gravely was they kept asking me what I didn't like, not what I liked!

Last edited by GMLC; 03-31-2012 at 01:43 AM.
Old 03-31-2012, 01:49 AM
LawnSite Fanatic

Do you know if they make a G6 for this particular deck and size yet? They would be awesome under there I think.
Old 03-31-2012, 01:59 AM
LawnSite Bronze Member

Thanks for the review and pics. Good looking machine.

Just curious what other mowers (brands, sizes) you are running or have run so we can get a base line as to what you're comparing the Pro Turn to.

Some questions I have are, how heavy or light did the deck lift feel? It looks like the seating may be higher than some which may be unavoidable to incorporate the air seat system. Or maybe it looks more like this due to being a 52"/smaller machine. I'm probably more use to looking at the 60" units and larger. Were you able to try it out on any hills or banks? Compared to Hustler SZs I've been running most recently, It looks like the engine is placed farther back in the frame. Another words, there is more sticking out from behind the back wheels. I wonder if it would feel lighter in the front end, or cause any issues with a bagger? Would you recommend opting for the full pneumatic tires to improve the ride even more? Any negatives? So far all I'm hearing is good.

Last edited by mtmower; 03-31-2012 at 02:05 AM.
Old 03-31-2012, 02:38 AM
LawnSite Bronze Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ridin' Green View Post
What's EL Stan?
Entry level. It's an inside joke, I was just messin' with him a little.
Old 03-31-2012, 02:43 AM
LawnSite Bronze Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Razorblades View Post
I bet he is returning the famous line that GMLC used to use when discussing the Bad Boy mowers----EL means Entry level mower. Remember, Stan has a Bad Boy.
Yep, you're right Razor, I posted an answer before reading your post. Had to give him a little bit of a hard time.

He's gonna love that seat, I rode a 460 around a dealer a few weeks back and that seat is great. I wondered (a few years back) why someone didn't use a true air ride seat.

Last edited by StanWilhite; 03-31-2012 at 02:44 AM. Reason: typo
Old 03-31-2012, 03:56 AM
LawnSite Silver Member

I liked this model too when I seen the first pictures of it a few months ago. I would like to know if they got the balance right on this one, giving it more downhill traction. The 260 I had, had no downhill traction at all, which is why I gave it back to Gravely, that and the deck did not mulch, or stripe as well as my other mowers. To bad too because the Gravely people are very professional and the mowers seem well built. How about those control arms in stead of deck chains...lets see where did I see those first ... oh yeah BB doesn't use chains either. lol Keep us updated with the traction compared to your Scag.

2013 Exmark Pioneer S 60" Ultracut (Review with pics) http://www.lawnsite.com/showthread.php?t=410996

2010 Badboy Outlaw 6100 31 KAWI

2008 Exmark Lazer Z AS 60" U/C 28 Kawi

2000 Exmark Lazer Z 60" L/C Kawi 4100 + hrs strong
Old 03-31-2012, 10:52 AM
LawnSite Platinum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ridin' Green View Post
Do you know if they make a G6 for this particular deck and size yet? They would be awesome under there I think.
I dont know. Sorry.
Old 03-31-2012, 11:04 AM
LawnSite Platinum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by mtmower View Post
Thanks for the review and pics. Good looking machine.

Just curious what other mowers (brands, sizes) you are running or have run so we can get a base line as to what you're comparing the Pro Turn to.

Some questions I have are, how heavy or light did the deck lift feel? It looks like the seating may be higher than some which may be unavoidable to incorporate the air seat system. Or maybe it looks more like this due to being a 52"/smaller machine. I'm probably more use to looking at the 60" units and larger. Were you able to try it out on any hills or banks? Compared to Hustler SZs I've been running most recently, It looks like the engine is placed farther back in the frame. Another words, there is more sticking out from behind the back wheels. I wonder if it would feel lighter in the front end, or cause any issues with a bagger? Would you recommend opting for the full pneumatic tires to improve the ride even more? Any negatives? So far all I'm hearing is good.
I have been running Scags since 1995(all 52's) and have experience with the whole line up except the cheetah. Also ran a kubota f2000 when I was 18 for a season when I worked for a university mowing 400 acres.

The deck lift was very easy to operate in my opinion. I know the air seat has like 6 inches of travel and you can set it where ever you want. It didnt feel high when I was mowing. Of course I didnt get a chance to mow any hills. But I will give a whole review on hill side stabilityy because we have a lot in NH. The front end did feel a little light. Im ordering mine with a bagger and it comes with a weight kit. Ill update you on that as well. I dont think you would need pneumatic tires because the ride was amazing as is. No real negatives. I did ask questions about the three things that concerned me. The deck, the hydro-gear and the lack of grease fittings. All of which Gravely has had zero complaints with and doesnt anticipate any problems. They have tested all extensively.
Old 03-31-2012, 11:10 AM
LawnSite Platinum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by MJB View Post
I liked this model too when I seen the first pictures of it a few months ago. I would like to know if they got the balance right on this one, giving it more downhill traction. The 260 I had, had no downhill traction at all, which is why I gave it back to Gravely, that and the deck did not mulch, or stripe as well as my other mowers. To bad too because the Gravely people are very professional and the mowers seem well built. How about those control arms in stead of deck chains...lets see where did I see those first ... oh yeah BB doesn't use chains either. lol Keep us updated with the traction compared to your Scag.
I was told that Gravely worked hard to lower the center of gravity greatly over the 200 series. The hydro gear is mounted lower and the deck control arms make a big difference from what they told me. I will update everyone on hillside stability and traction when I start mowing. They had no hills for me to mow. I know they do offer a mulching kit for the x-factor deck as well as a striping kit.
Old 03-31-2012, 03:42 PM
LawnSite Platinum Member

Someone wanted me to ask Gravely about the 472 with a 31 hp engine. They told me that engine is a beast and has no problem with the 72 inch deck. I did not try one personally.