Register free!
Search

The Green Industry's Resource Center

Click for Weather

Old 06-02-2012, 08:29 AM
LawnSite Gold Member

Wishing I had ordered the 27hp instead of the 31. So far the 31 is an absolute animal BUT it is REALLY sucking down the fuel. I am hoping once it breaks in the fuel useage eases up a bit.
2004 Gravely 34Z
1998 Lazer Z HP 48 (old faithful)
Old 06-02-2012, 10:06 AM
LawnSite Senior Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by ProStreetCamaro View Post
Wishing I had ordered the 27hp instead of the 31. So far the 31 is an absolute animal BUT it is REALLY sucking down the fuel. I am hoping once it breaks in the fuel useage eases up a bit.
I was relieved when i finally made up my mind on a mower, I thought the decision making was over... but of course not, now i cannot make up my mind which motor to get in this damn thing.
I originally wanted the 27 efi but then lots of people said that it does not have enough power with the 460 to bag and do hills at the same time. So i thought i might have to get the 31, which i didnt want to do because of the extra fuel usage... But what about the kawasaki 27 hp? that would be more than the kohler efi because of the different rating syste, so i wonder if that would be enough motor? I have lots of hills with thick tall lush grass so i need adequate power to bag, because i bag every single lawn i have except two.
2002 F250 supercab 5.4
2005 Exmark 52" Lazer Z HP
2013 Gravely Pro-Turn 460
2004 Exmark Metro 48" Walkbehind
redmax and Husky blowers and trimmers
1990 John Deere small tractor
2012 8.5x18 with a 3' V Enclosed trailer
Old 06-02-2012, 11:08 AM
LawnSite Fanatic

Quote:
Originally Posted by JDGlandscape View Post
I was relieved when i finally made up my mind on a mower, I thought the decision making was over... but of course not, now i cannot make up my mind which motor to get in this damn thing.
I originally wanted the 27 efi but then lots of people said that it does not have enough power with the 460 to bag and do hills at the same time. So i thought i might have to get the 31, which i didnt want to do because of the extra fuel usage... But what about the kawasaki 27 hp? that would be more than the kohler efi because of the different rating syste, so i wonder if that would be enough motor? I have lots of hills with thick tall lush grass so i need adequate power to bag, because i bag every single lawn i have except two.
I'm sure it will be. I have that engine on my new Z950 w/60" MOD, and it runs it fine up hills when mulching thick lush grass. I have never seen any turfgrass anywhere in my lifetime that required more engine. I know the blower can rob power, but true mulching in thick grass takes more in my experience and when I said mulching, I was using actual mulching blades and chopping the clippings up extremely fine.
Old 06-02-2012, 12:50 PM
LawnSite Bronze Member

Quote:
Sorta in the same boat. I do love hp and this motor doesn't seem to brake a sweat not that I've done anything but full stick side discharge with some hills yet. The 31 does seem awfully thirsty. Haven't actually checked gph usage yet. PSC remember when looking at the fuel gauges, that you have roughly another gallon per tank when it shows empty so I'm told. The way the tanks are formed it looks like it would be close. Mentally I'm watching my gauges drop fast as well but two gallons of gas is at least another hr. Right.....?!?! I hope....

It's not apples to apples but my Hustler 66" Super Z has the 28 Kohler EFI and it in no way was enough power to bag while doing hills. Again it has larger pumps and a larger deck by 6" that are drawing more power. On the flip side I had a 60" Super Z with the 24 Honda and it had just enough to be happy bagging with hills and a thatch rake on front. I think this has some to do with hp ratings as well.
Old 06-02-2012, 01:09 PM
LawnSite Platinum Member

I can verify that when the gauges read empty there is still a couple gallons of fuel left. I ran one tank on empty for an hour the other day and when I looked in there was still some gas leftover!
Old 06-02-2012, 03:12 PM
LawnSite Gold Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by GMLC View Post
I can verify that when the gauges read empty there is still a couple gallons of fuel left. I ran one tank on empty for an hour the other day and when I looked in there was still some gas leftover!

Oh man now that is good to know! That eases my mind a bit. I do like the idea of having all the power of the 31 but 31 in all honesty is a bit much for our usage. On the flip side with that much power we wont be working the engine real hard so taking good care of it should make it last a longggg time. I just ordered amsoil oil and the $10 EA oil filter. I figure as much as this machine cost what is an extra couple $ to put the best in it?
2004 Gravely 34Z
Old 06-02-2012, 03:17 PM
LawnSite Bronze Member

Quote:
Oh man now that is good to know! That eases my mind a bit. I do like the idea of having all the power of the 31 but 31 in all honesty is a bit much for our usage. On the flip side with that much power we wont be working the engine real hard so taking good care of it should make it last a longggg time. I just ordered amsoil oil and the $10 EA oil filter. I figure as much as this machine cost what is an extra couple $ to put the best in it?
I just changed my oil with the factory $10 filter and used conventional 10w-30 mobile one racing oil that has the zinc still in it at 6.9 hrs. At 50 hrs. and from there on out I plan on changing oil and filter again using the new full syn Amsoil Z rod 10w-30 that also incorporates the zink.
Old 06-02-2012, 03:29 PM
LawnSite Platinum Member

I ordered Amsoil Formula Four Stroke Small Engine oil on Friday for my 50 hour oil change. Its made for commercial equipment and has extra zinc, extra detergents and rust inhibitors for winter storage.

Last edited by GMLC; 06-02-2012 at 03:38 PM.
Old 06-02-2012, 03:36 PM
LawnSite Gold Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by mtmower View Post
I just changed my oil with the factory $10 filter and used conventional 10w-30 mobile one racing oil that has the zinc still in it at 6.9 hrs. At 50 hrs. and from there on out I plan on changing oil and filter again using the new full syn Amsoil Z rod 10w-30 that also incorporates the zink.

Sounds like a solid plan. The reason I am going straight to amsoil right away is because engines of today don't need the long break in like they used to. With in the first couple minutes the rings are already fully seated.

Also amsoil has a lot of oils that are high in zinc and phosphorous. The 4 stroke is a group IV true synthetic with no viscosity modifiers and it has a lot of zinc. The base stock is so good they did not need to add viscosity modifiers to make it meet 10W-30 specifications. It is actually a straight 30wt oil that happens to meet the pour points of a 10W-30. That is when you know you have an ultra high quality oil.
2004 Gravely 34Z
Old 06-02-2012, 03:46 PM
LawnSite Platinum Member

Speaking of oil changes, do you guys know what weight is recommended for the 75 hour hydro oil change? 20w-50 like most? And what oil do you plan to run? I was thinking the Amsoil Motorcycle 20w-50 which is also recommended for transmissions and chain cases.