Register free!

The Green Industry's Resource Center

Old 06-08-2012, 07:05 PM
LawnSite Bronze Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by ProStreetCamaro View Post
You leave the rops up? I am about to take mine off completely. I am tired of it hanging up on limbs and either ripping them off or pulling them forward and smacking me in the head.

On a side note. Are you guys getting any large puffs of blue smoke on start up? Mine belched smoke so bad yesterday on one start up the truck was barely visible through the smoke. Doesn't do it every time I start it. Maybe one or two times a day it will smoke when I start it.
I finally yanked my ROPs a few days ago. Thought I could teach myself to work with it on but I guess you can't teach and old dog new tricks.

First half a dozen times I started it cold when it was brand new I got smoke. Haven't had it since. Make sure your not overfilled on your oil. I changed the oil at 6.9 hrs with dino Mobile One racing 10w-30 with zinc and plan on switching to synthetic after 50 hrs. My 1000 plus hr EFI Kohler seemed to do this after switching to synthetic. It may only happen about 3-6 times a season know but man is it embarrassing. Looks like someone started a fire on my trailer and sticks to be all.
Old 06-08-2012, 07:29 PM
LawnSite Gold Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by mtmower View Post
I finally yanked my ROPs a few days ago. Thought I could teach myself to work with it on but I guess you can't teach and old dog new tricks.

First half a dozen times I started it cold when it was brand new I got smoke. Haven't had it since. Make sure your not overfilled on your oil. I changed the oil at 6.9 hrs with dino Mobile One racing 10w-30 with zinc and plan on switching to synthetic after 50 hrs. My 1000 plus hr EFI Kohler seemed to do this after switching to synthetic. It may only happen about 3-6 times a season know but man is it embarrassing. Looks like someone started a fire on my trailer and sticks to be all.

Tell me about it! Well I guess I have a 3 year warranty so if the oil level starts to drop or it gets worse I will take it in. I am going to try and get a video of it one day this week. Very unpredictable as to when it will happen.
2004 Gravely 34Z
1998 Lazer Z HP 48 (old faithful)
Old 06-08-2012, 08:50 PM
LawnSite Platinum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by ProStreetCamaro View Post
You leave the rops up? I am about to take mine off completely. I am tired of it hanging up on limbs and either ripping them off or pulling them forward and smacking me in the head.

On a side note. Are you guys getting any large puffs of blue smoke on start up? Mine belched smoke so bad yesterday on one start up the truck was barely visible through the smoke. Doesn't do it every time I start it. Maybe one or two times a day it will smoke when I start it.
I have a couple properties with steep drop offs. I have had a couple close calls so I use my ROPS on those lawns. Did get hit in the face with a branch today!
Posted via Mobile Device
Old 06-11-2012, 10:12 PM
LawnSite Senior Member

GMLC. Did you get any numbers yet on gallons per hour on your machine. Looking to get the exact same mower as yours but debating on going with the kohler efi or the 24.5 fx kaw. I Will have the bagging system on about 80 percent of the time.
Old 06-11-2012, 10:19 PM
LawnSite Platinum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by greengiant9963 View Post
GMLC. Did you get any numbers yet on gallons per hour on your machine. Looking to get the exact same mower as yours but debating on going with the kohler efi or the 24.5 fx kaw. I Will have the bagging system on about 80 percent of the time.
My plan is to by the end of this week. I have some 1 acre plus size properties I mow on Fridays which will be a good test.
Posted via Mobile Device
Old 06-12-2012, 03:38 AM
LawnSite Bronze Member

Today after putting 5.8 hrs. on my 460 I filled the tanks and got 11.74 gallons in it. So if I'm doing my math right that would put the FX921V (31 hp) at about 2 gph. It only has about 13 hrs. total on the engine so it still may get better as it continues to brake in.
Old 06-12-2012, 08:40 PM
LawnSite Senior Member

yikes that scares me.. my current mower is only around a gallon an hour... wish the 29 efi was enough to bag and thatch with the 460
Posted via Mobile Device
Old 06-12-2012, 10:14 PM
LawnSite Fanatic

Quote:
Originally Posted by JDGlandscape View Post
yikes that scares me.. my current mower is only around a gallon an hour... wish the 29 efi was enough to bag and thatch with the 460
It probably is even though some comments here suggest otherwise !!
2010 LESCO 48" Stand-On
2008 LESCO 36" Hydro WB
2008 Quick 36" Samurai Dually WB
Old 06-12-2012, 10:15 PM
LawnSite Fanatic

This has been a very interesting thread to read ... it's actually one of the best threads that I've read on LS ... keep it up !!
2010 LESCO 48" Stand-On
2008 LESCO 36" Hydro WB
2008 Quick 36" Samurai Dually WB
Old 06-13-2012, 02:18 AM
LawnSite Bronze Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by JDGlandscape View Post
Posted via Mobile Device
I was considering it when I purchased. The 28 efi is not enough for my 66" Super Z with bagger but then again the pumps on the 460 shouldn't be placing as high a demand on the engine as the SZ's pumps do.

I don't know if it's all due to the muffler or not but this Kaw is much noisier and sounds rougher. The power is smooth though. The 28 efi on my SZ has a lower tone to the exhaust note and it just sounds smoother. This may of course change slightly once the Kaw is fully broken in.