Register free!

The Green Industry's Resource Center

Old 05-20-2013, 11:49 PM
LawnSite Gold Member

I am going to my dealer tomorrow to see about trading my 460 in on a new one with the kohler efi and the new deck. I am not crazy about the 31hp kawi on my machine. I am afraid somebody is going to call the cops thinking somebody fired a gun out in the street plus it is so thirsty it is absurd.

Any guesses what they will offer me on trade in? 236 hours on it right now and it still looks pretty close to new.
2004 Gravely 34Z
1998 Lazer Z HP 48 (old faithful)
Old 05-21-2013, 08:16 AM
LawnSite Fanatic

Quote:
Originally Posted by ProStreetCamaro View Post
I am going to my dealer tomorrow to see about trading my 460 in on a new one with the kohler efi and the new deck. I am not crazy about the 31hp kawi on my machine. I am afraid somebody is going to call the cops thinking somebody fired a gun out in the street plus it is so thirsty it is absurd.

Any guesses what they will offer me on trade in? 236 hours on it right now and it still looks pretty close to new.
PSC-

I lifted this from Kohler's site, but my Kawi manual says the same thing. Have you tried this? I don't like to shut them down at such high rpm's (old school habit). I idle mine down for at least 30 seconds, usually a full minute before shut down, and I've had zero backfires. I just idle down while getting the blower fired up to blow everything including the mower, off.-

"Why does my engine backfire when I shut it off?

Your owner's manual lists the proper shutdown procedures to avoid this occurrence. If your engine is equipped with a fuel shut-off solenoid, be certain to set the throttle between half and full throttle before turning the key switch to OFF
."
Old 05-21-2013, 04:05 PM
LawnSite Gold Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ridin' Green View Post
PSC-

I lifted this from Kohler's site, but my Kawi manual says the same thing. Have you tried this? I don't like to shut them down at such high rpm's (old school habit). I idle mine down for at least 30 seconds, usually a full minute before shut down, and I've had zero backfires. I just idle down while getting the blower fired up to blow everything including the mower, off.-

"Why does my engine backfire when I shut it off?

Your owner's manual lists the proper shutdown procedures to avoid this occurrence. If your engine is equipped with a fuel shut-off solenoid, be certain to set the throttle between half and full throttle before turning the key switch to OFF
."

That is how I shut it down. At first I was shutting it down at idle like every other mower I have ever owned. When doing that it would backfire at shut down. Once I started shutting it down at half to full throttle it no longer backfires at shut down but about once a day it will backfire when I start it. I cringe and grit my teeth every time I start it after the initial start of the day because I never know when its going to backfire.

Couple that problem with the thread on this 31hp kawi and how people have had them kick rods around the 1000 to 1300 hour mark and the extreme fuel usage makes me want to get rid of it. I can tell you guys this right here and now. This is my last kawasaki period. If I can work something out with my dealer I will be on a new 460 with the 29hp efi kohler or maybe even a new 160 with the efi kohler. I could save a couple grand going with the 160 and still have the new baffled xfactor II deck, efi kohler and michigan suspension seat AND about 300 pounds lighter. Obviously it wont be quite as smooth as the 460 but I love my current 160 and it would not hurt my feelings to get another one with the latest upgrades.
2004 Gravely 34Z
Old 05-21-2013, 05:25 PM
LawnSite Fanatic

What's the biggest difference between a 160,260 and 460. Naturally I want a 460, but the prices vary
Posted via Mobile Device
Old 05-21-2013, 05:47 PM
LawnSite Gold Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by whiffyspark View Post
What's the biggest difference between a 160,260 and 460. Naturally I want a 460, but the prices vary
Posted via Mobile Device
The bigger number you go the larger the components such as hydros, tires, fuel tanks, frame size, bigger clutches, etc etc. Don't be fooled the 160 and 260 are both built like tanks. I have both an older 160 with the xfactor and a 460. The biggest difference really between them is the 460 is smoother due to the isolators and air ride seat and 10mph VS 13mph.
2004 Gravely 34Z
Old 05-22-2013, 09:55 AM
LawnSite Fanatic

Who knew choosing a mower could be such a hard decision. I was dead set on a pro stance and 460 but that eats all my budget.

Now I'm considering just one mower and putting the rest towards marketing.

I'm also considering Deere for the mod decks. I just don't want to get like a 160 and regret it you know?
Posted via Mobile Device
Old 05-22-2013, 10:16 AM
LawnSite Member

I was surprised how rough riding my first Zturn demo was, a Kubota zd326. How is the ride on your gravely after some use. I'm testing a ferris this week, so far my kubota tractors are for more forgiving on my body, just can't spin in circles.
Old 05-22-2013, 10:19 AM
LawnSite Fanatic

Quote:
Originally Posted by whiffyspark View Post
Who knew choosing a mower could be such a hard decision. I was dead set on a pro stance and 460 but that eats all my budget.

Now I'm considering just one mower and putting the rest towards marketing.

I'm also considering Deere for the mod decks. I just don't want to get like a 160 and regret it you know?
Posted via Mobile Device
If you get one, skip the MOD deck and go with the std deck instead. They cut cleaner under all conditions. The MOD works very well on thick, lush grass, but if it's thin or doesn't have much growth, the std deck is head and shoulders better. If I could find someone who had bought a std to save money or didn't have the extra money at time of purchase but had really wanted a MOD deck, and theirs was in as good a condition as mine, I'd trade in a heartbeat.
Old 05-22-2013, 10:52 AM
LawnSite Platinum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by lilguy View Post
I was surprised how rough riding my first Zturn demo was, a Kubota zd326. How is the ride on your gravely after some use. I'm testing a ferris this week, so far my kubota tractors are for more forgiving on my body, just can't spin in circles.
IMO the Gravely 400 series is the most comfortable in the industry. It really is like riding a cloud! The air seat can be adjusted from 0-6" of travel and the rubber isolated platforms=no vibration to the operator.
Posted via Mobile Device
Old 05-22-2013, 11:23 AM
LawnSite Fanatic

[QUOTE=Ridin' Green;4774309]If you get one, skip the MOD deck and go with the std deck instead. They cut cleaner under all conditions. The MOD works very well on thick, lush grass, but if it's thin or doesn't have much growth, the std deck is head and shoulders better. If I could find someone who had bought a std to save money or didn't have the extra money at time of purchase but had really wanted a MOD deck, and theirs was in as good a condition as mine, I'd trade in a heartbeat.[/QUOTE

Do they have an ocdc? I'm mainly considering mod for no discharge into flower beds. I have one property that has random beds all over the yard
Posted via Mobile Device