Register free!
Search

The Green Industry's Resource Center

Click for Weather

Old 04-12-2012, 05:37 PM
LawnSite Fanatic

Looks great bro! I'm happy for you. Nothing like a new machine.

I really like your truck too. Suits me to a T. I don't like extended or four door cabs. I like the pewter color too. You need to get a pic of your entire setup now, when you get the chance.
Old 04-12-2012, 05:57 PM
LawnSite Platinum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ridin' Green View Post
Looks great bro! I'm happy for you. Nothing like a new machine.

I really like your truck too. Suits me to a T. I don't like extended or four door cabs. I like the pewter color too. You need to get a pic of your entire setup now, when you get the chance.
Thanks man...Once she is home I will take more pics with some of my other stuff.
Old 04-12-2012, 06:50 PM
LawnSite Bronze Member

Looks great. I'm excited for you. Cut man cut! We need your review. It's going to be tough giving a fair review of it being a new mower and all. No one wants to talk negatively about a new purchase, especially with all the time and work you've put into your decision, let alone cost, but do us potential purchasers a favor and be as honest as possible. Even though Gravely is checking this thread as we speak. Don't sell your lawn soul to the man in red unless it's total love. Looking forward to hear how the clippings fly!!
Old 04-12-2012, 07:15 PM
LawnSite Platinum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by mtmower View Post
Looks great. I'm excited for you. Cut man cut! We need your review. It's going to be tough giving a fair review of it being a new mower and all. No one wants to talk negatively about a new purchase, especially with all the time and work you've put into your decision, let alone cost, but do us potential purchasers a favor and be as honest as possible. Even though Gravely is checking this thread as we speak. Don't sell your lawn soul to the man in red unless it's total love. Looking forward to hear how the clippings fly!!
I will be 100% honest, Gravely wants me to be. Plus I will post pics of the QOC in cool season grasses which won't lie! Gravely is completely open to suggestions and when I was in Florida they kept asking me what I didn't like. I know there are a few here waiting on me to start cutting before they pull the trigger. I'm one of the few here that has to cut in wet conditions and not double cut due to a full schedule. QOC is huge for me and I'm eager to get started!!!
Old 04-12-2012, 07:33 PM
LawnSite Member

gravely

looks like a nice setup you have there looking into a z turn myself very soon ... glwynz turn..

lawnman3...
Old 04-12-2012, 11:35 PM
LawnSite Fanatic

Quote:
Originally Posted by GMLC View Post
I will be 100% honest, Gravely wants me to be. Plus I will post pics of the QOC in cool season grasses which won't lie! Gravely is completely open to suggestions and when I was in Florida they kept asking me what I didn't like. I know there are a few here waiting on me to start cutting before they pull the trigger. I'm one of the few here that has to cut in wet conditions and not double cut due to a full schedule. QOC is huge for me and I'm eager to get started!!!
Since they asked what you didn't like, or were concerned about etc., did you tell them that many of us that have looked at them, or are looking at them really believe that for northern grasses, especially when they have to be cut while wet, we feel that it needs a much wider discharge chute? If so, what was their response?
Old 04-13-2012, 07:23 AM
LawnSite Platinum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ridin' Green View Post
Since they asked what you didn't like, or were concerned about etc., did you tell them that many of us that have looked at them, or are looking at them really believe that for northern grasses, especially when they have to be cut while wet, we feel that it needs a much wider discharge chute? If so, what was their response?
I did talk to them about the discharge opening compared to my Scag Velocity deck as well as the hydro gear transmissions and no grease fittings. Gravely told me that the deck was designed to spread the clippings evenly and aggressively. I found the discharge pressure great and if you look at the pics of the field mowing it did discharge some grass. They assured me that a ton of testing is done on northern grasses around Gravely's head quarters. I guess in a couple weeks we will know for sure...
Old 04-13-2012, 09:24 AM
LawnSite Senior Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by GMLC View Post
I did talk to them about the discharge opening compared to my Scag Velocity deck as well as the hydro gear transmissions and no grease fittings. .
I thought these things were going to be an issue too when I first got mine. I was unsure of the hydrogear transaxle. The lack of grease fittings bothered me and I thought that discharge hole was small too. None of these things have been an issue. The hydrogears are super smooth. The discharge hole on the deck never clogs and it throws grass! Time will tell on the lack of grease fittings but from what I have heard it will not be an issue either.

I have no experience with northern grass but it cuts everything down south great. I have cut some really tall grass with it too on occasion.

2011 Gravely 252 26HP
2011 Gravely Pro Walk 36 Hydro 16HP
1 Stihl KM110 with hedge trimmer and edger
2 Stihl FS90 - Stihl HS45
Husky 435 16" - Stihl MS290 18"
Stihl BR600 - Husky BT150 - Stihl BG85
Generac 3100-PSI 2.8-GPM Pressure Washer
Jungle Jim 3TR and 2BH
82"x16' open trailer
2007 F150 FX2 5.4
Lots of Locks!

"It is not hard what we do. It's like anything else in life. Add will power, desire, and the ability to look for solutions...not excuses. Then you will succeed."
Old 04-13-2012, 10:26 AM
LawnSite Bronze Member

GMLC will you be side discharging or bagging first thing?

Other than maybe the main idler and front wheel bearings, the lack of grease zirks do not bother me if it was done correctly. Coming from the automotive industry I've seen first hand that it can be done and can last. The problem is thought is not always put into making things last. I'm considering Husqvarna PZ as well and Q on here seemed to very honest about needs. He told me to keep deck bushings on hand as they go through them. This is an example of a poorly thought out system. I don't mind replacing worn items at the 2000-3000 mark and up, but earlier than that and I don't consider it a commercial grade unit .

If I didn't already ask, how many hrs. do you have on your units watsmi57?

What are the concerns on the hydro gear trans? Wasn't aware of any problems yet. Seems like quite a few companies are going that direction. It would be nice to see a cooling system incorporated into it. Pushing 13 mph may be over working the system, similar to the earlier Hustler SZs.
Old 04-13-2012, 11:53 AM
LawnSite Fanatic

Quote:
Originally Posted by mtmower View Post
GMLC will you be side discharging or bagging first thing?

Other than maybe the main idler and front wheel bearings, the lack of grease zirks do not bother me if it was done correctly. Coming from the automotive industry I've seen first hand that it can be done and can last. The problem is thought is not always put into making things last. I'm considering Husqvarna PZ as well and Q on here seemed to very honest about needs. He told me to keep deck bushings on hand as they go through them. This is an example of a poorly thought out system. I don't mind replacing worn items at the 2000-3000 mark and up, but earlier than that and I don't consider it a commercial grade unit .

If I didn't already ask, how many hrs. do you have on your units watsmi57?

What are the concerns on the hydro gear trans? Wasn't aware of any problems yet. Seems like quite a few companies are going that direction. It would be nice to see a cooling system incorporated into it. Pushing 13 mph may be over working the system, similar to the earlier Hustler SZs.
The worries about the Hydrogear trans's are mainly because they are so new, and haven't been around long enough to establish a lengthy track record one way or the other yet.