Register free!
Search

The Green Industry's Resource Center

Click for Weather

Old 09-26-2011, 05:20 PM
LawnSite Bronze Member

Dwost's Equipment/Yard Pics

Hey all, there have been a couple of my fellow LS members that wanted to see some of my recent pics since our move. I was finally able to get some time to do a write up. Here is the latest! Our property totals about 20 acres, 3 of which is grass and I maintain on a regular basis. Long story short we purchased it from a guy. who lost his wife about 10 years ago and just couldn't maintain the property. Overall it's in great shape, just needs some tlc and updating We took occupancy mid-September 2010 and with the great weather we had we took it upon ourselves to get the outside sorted first. The place was totally overgrown and needed some serious cutting back. I spent about 3 solid weeks just trimming everything and cutting brush away from all the magnificent array of conifers that we have. I also laid 25 yards of mulch to get the beds around the house ready for spring. I'd estimate that over the years, he planted well over 400 large trees and shrubs throughout the property. Many of them were still staked! Thankfully only a few have been choked out and the rest were rescued. I'm hoping with the additional sun and the removal of the stakes they will recover to full growth in a year or two. Once winter set in we moved to the inside where the updating began. We are pretty much updating every room in the place but doing it in stages. Over the last year I restoned a fireplace, added a faux fireplace to the sunroom and redid the one in the dining room with a ďFrench CountryĒ theme which is what my wife and the decorator are using for their inspiration in decorating the place. We also had hardwood installed in the great room and dining room. The kitchen remodel is next and then on to the other areas of the house! I wonít bore with all the remaining details, now on to the yard/equipment pics!! Here are some shots from September through present. Enjoy!

Before: Prior to cleanup and move in

After: Lots of cutting back and 25yds of mulch.

After: Early spring 2011

Since these pics were taken in the spring, we have done more landscaping around the house perimeter adding some additional plant material and removing some overgrown shrubs. We also cleaned out a huge bed in the front which now has several new trees and is covered in another 50 yards of mulch. Looks much better now!

The grass needed some work for sure. It was overrun with crab and lots of weeds. I let the crab go dormant then hit it hard with 3 way and 15 bags of fert and overseeded last fall. One more app of 3 way in the spring took care of the remaining weeds. There are a few spots that I will hit in the next couple weeks and itís totally weed free. Iíve also done two more apps of fert this year and the grass is looking really great. I also used my JRCO tine rake to pull out all the dead during my last few cuts last year and the first cuts this spring. I'm going to aerate the snot out of it again and overseed with a few more bags of Lesco Quality Blue Blend. I will also have my irrigation guy out to give me a quote on a system. Not sure that's in the cards next year but at some point I'll get one installed and pull from my pond. Here are a couple shots.

2011 Stripes - cut @3.5"

Some pics of the pond:

Garden:
There are 7 raised bed planters along with a large planting area which we overhauled this spring. It was totally overgrown but after a weekend of work got it ready to plant. Had to replace a few of the posts which were rotten and redo some of the raised beds but it worked great and yielded a good harvest for the first year. We now have a TON of pumpkins which have taken over the place  My boys are very excited about this. I donít have any before shots but letís just say you couldnít even see the fence the weeds were so high!

Equipment: I finally have a place for all my goodies! There is a 40x35 barn that I use for all my yard toys and equipment. Due to the bad hail storms we have had Iím actually getting a new roof/gutter on the entire house as well as the barn. While they are at it Iím having it insulated, the attic area decked, new overhead door and a dedicated heater. I picked up a 215K btu kero heater which got me through last winter but I want something more permanent. Along with my Bad Boy and existing power equipment, Iíve added the following when we got the house.

ē John Deere 6x4 Gator Ė power dump bed and I fully updated it with new seats, tires, hitch, brush/fender guards, etcÖ Thinking about getting a cab for it during the winter to make taking out the trash to the end of my driveway more comfortable. Will have to snap a couple pics and post them up.

ē John Deere 1070 tractor with 80 series loader Ė Only had 288 hours on it! Now has 305. 40hp, diesel and has a 506 brush hog and box scraper (which I overhauled, pics below). I also have the rear weight box which did great last winter for plowing. I ordered up a hydraulic 84Ēplow for my drive last winter which worked great. I can knock out the entire thing (1/4mile) in about 35 minutes. This thing has become one of my favorite (and useful) pieces of equipment. Itís a huge time saver!

Rotary Cutter Before:

After:

Box Blade Before:

After:

ē Troy-Bilt Horse tiller Ė 25 year anniversary edition. Electric start and only has 27 hours on it and is powered by an 8hp Kohler. Overhauled that last fall as well and used it in the garden!

Before:

After:

I already have these posted on another thread but this is the newest addition to the family. Just gave it a test run this weekend and it works GREAT! Let the leaves fall!

Thatís about it for now. Iíll continue to update this as we progress through the transformation and as I add to my equipment arsenal! I now have more projects than time but itís quite relaxing none the less! This is part of the reason why I havenít been as active on LS, Iím too busy!
- Custom striping roller
- Pingel fuel filter
- Custom FIMCO boomless spray rig

1989 John Deer 1070 Compact Tractor - 40hp/4WD
- 70 series loader
- 506 rotary mower
- box scraper
- 84" plow w/full hydo
- ballast box
- aux lights

1993 John Deere Gator 6x4
- HD Field Trax tires
- brush/fender guards
- hydraulic dump bed w/storage and bed cover
- 2" receiver hitch
- HD front suspension
Old 09-26-2011, 05:42 PM
LawnSite Member

Lookin' good! Big $ for the 2 Global Spruce & even bigger $$ for that Weeping Norway Spruce by the flag pole...Did you try to transplant or sell them?
Old 09-26-2011, 05:58 PM
LawnSite Member

Nice pics. Loved the before and after pics of equipment.
Old 09-26-2011, 06:01 PM
LawnSite Bronze Member

Thanks StoneFaced, actually the globe spruces were so large there was no way to pull them out without destroying the paver walkway. I had to cut them down That's actually not a weeping norway but a weeping beach. I believe they are even bigger $$ I have another one in the bed we cleared that is almost as big. I also have several Japanese white's which are in great shape.
- Custom striping roller
- Pingel fuel filter
- Custom FIMCO boomless spray rig

1989 John Deer 1070 Compact Tractor - 40hp/4WD
- 70 series loader
- 506 rotary mower
- box scraper
- 84" plow w/full hydo
- ballast box
- aux lights

1993 John Deere Gator 6x4
- HD Field Trax tires
- brush/fender guards
- hydraulic dump bed w/storage and bed cover
- 2" receiver hitch
- HD front suspension
Old 09-26-2011, 06:44 PM
LawnSite Member

WOW, very very inpressive! Looks better than great. Where do you get all of the time an energy to keep it up that nice!
Old 09-26-2011, 08:10 PM
LawnSite Gold Member

Very nice,cool tiller.
Wright 36" RH 07"
Redmax trimmer
Echo srm 225
Stihl fs90
Redmax hb28
Redmax eb7500 backpack blower
Rubbermaid cans 32gal
Solo backpack sprayer
A few more things..
Old 09-26-2011, 08:31 PM
LawnSite Bronze Member

Thanks guys. birdman, yeah we are an active family so we never sit still. I did the rehab projects after my kids were in bed. Nothin like chillin in the barn with some beers and tunes . Thaks bobcat, the tiller is awesome. It was funny as i was cleaning out the workshop in the barn I stumbled across a brand new hiller/furrower kit, wheel weights, and brush guard. All brand new and in the boxes! It was like Christmas in July. I cleaned it up and installed all the extras. Didn't use the weights yet but it did a great job.
Posted via Mobile Device
Old 09-26-2011, 08:45 PM
LawnSite Bronze Member

Nice looking crib! Did you had to order new manufacture stikers for the tiller? or just clean them lol?
Complete lawn care services
Old 09-26-2011, 08:48 PM
LawnSite Fanatic

You have an absolutely beautiful property!! I've been trying to look for a few acres around my area to build a shop on and do a little farming on, but prices are just out of this world in my area.

You do an awesome job keeping up your place!!
John Deere walkbehind
81"x18' trailer
Stihl handhelds
Old 09-26-2011, 08:59 PM
LawnSite Bronze Member

YOUR PROPERTY LOOKS IMMACULATE!!!!! I AM SO JEALOUS

I would love to hear your background story, how you got to be where you are now, and how you learned your skills as a do it yourself landscaper, what you do for a living?

People like you inspire me to do great work on my clients lawns because ultimately, your property is what every property should look like and is exactly what the customer wants. a green healthy lawn cut cleanly each week, beds maintained, shrubs pruned to perfection and a living area for their family.

Thanks for sharing this with us.

Jason

Insured and Licensed