Register free!

Old 03-24-2012, 12:25 AM
LawnSite Silver Member

I wouldn't mind learning that pipe fusion stuff

Went to a job the other day. The water district discovered the irrigation POC was tapped into the middle of the meter setter. So they replaced the meter and setter but left the POC abandoned.

I dug her up 4' down thinking the line was 1.25" Poly. After cutting it I realized it was not.

Took the pipe down to HD fowler and said it was a 1.5" SDR-11 for pipe fusion only. The only kind of fitting other then fusion was a 1.25" ford pack . I now understand why they tapped into the meter setter in the first place.

While I was down at folwer they were bonding some 36" with the heat fusion equipment. It was really impressive and cool to watch.

The joint at the end of the meter setter was some sort of Mueler fitting and was build into the setter. Always new things to learn.
Attached Images

Old 03-24-2012, 03:20 AM
LawnSite Fanatic

I've seen that fusion being done as well. It does look interesting but it would seem to be a pain to try and do for pipe in a ditch being spliced in to.
Old 03-24-2012, 09:52 AM
LawnSite Bronze Member

For repairs or tapping into HDPE that's already installed it's easier to use mechanical fittings or electrofusion fittings.
Here's an example of an electrofusion tapping valve.

Last edited by Sprinkus; 03-24-2012 at 09:57 AM.
Old 03-24-2012, 11:08 AM
LawnSite Fanatic

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sprinkus View Post
For repairs or tapping into HDPE that's already installed it's easier to use mechanical fittings or electrofusion fittings.
Here's an example of an electrofusion tapping valve.
......... Sweet.
Old 03-24-2012, 01:02 PM
LawnSite Fanatic

Quote:
Originally Posted by mitchgo View Post
While I was down at folwer they were bonding some 36" with the heat fusion equipment. It was really impressive and cool to watch. Always new things to learn.
My excavation buddy up north was telling me he went to a class and got certified to install heat fusion pipe, it is neat! I believe Fowler rents the machine.
Old 04-01-2012, 12:33 PM
LawnSite Gold Member

First time using a fusing machine can be a bit tricky - however, once you get the knack of clamping, appropriate pressure and temperature - it's a great way to repair IPS poly pipe. Remember, you cannot use pressure on the clamping rod beyond absolute minimum needed to remain uniform contact between the pipe ends being heated for fusing. Otherwise the pipe ends deform resulting in a crap joint.

This is what I had to do in order to join a total length of 1,800 of 2" IPS PVE used as a main line through a gorge. Pipe came in 500' rolls and the mechanical "fast lock" couplers just weren't holding for crap. Weight of each roll was a problem wrestling into place so I ended up cutting each roll in half, lying in the sun for a day to loosen up - then into the gorge the guys and I went.

Yes, it was a royal pain getting the generator 187' down through the gorge to each fusion point but the joints have held up very well.

I am now a staunch advocate for IPS PVE pipe used as exposed irrigation main line applications.
Old 04-01-2012, 01:04 PM
LawnSite Fanatic

"PVE" ?? Whazzat?
Old 04-01-2012, 01:08 PM
LawnSite Fanatic

PVE
Old 04-01-2012, 01:19 PM
LawnSite Fanatic

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kiril View Post
that's PVB silly
Old 04-01-2012, 02:21 PM
LawnSite Silver Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kiril View Post

So back in highschool my junior and senior year I was one of the network service techs/admins in the district.. So I would go around to all the 24 schools in the district and fix computer stuff and networking issues

Part of my job was to monitor kids doing things on the computers. When ever I caught them doing things they weren't supposed to I would take control the computer, turn up the volume and play the badger badger badger song