Register free!
Search

The Green Industry's Resource Center

Click for Weather

Old 04-02-2012, 09:39 AM
LawnSite Member

New Zero Turn Purchase

Guys, I have been looking for a used commercial zero turn, but where I am at here in Ohio, you don't see many of them for sale. So I have about decided to buy a new mower, and have narrowed it down to 3 models. I was seeing the general thought on which would be better. We have about 2 acres we will mow every week.

1. Bad Boy ZT60.
2. John Deere Z655
3. Husqvarna MZ6128

I can get all of these mowers within about $200 of each other, all right around the $5000 price range. So any thoughts will be greatly appreciated.
Old 04-02-2012, 11:25 AM
LawnSite Member

I have purchased two Zero Turn Mowers during the past month. A Toro Z500 for our place on the Eastern Shore of VA and a small Gravely Professional Model for our home in Raleigh. I have no experience with the machines you mentioned but do have a recommendation. Check with all the dealers in your area to see if they have any hold-over 2011 professional models to include demos. You may find a really great deal on a heavier machine than you are currently considering. In any event good luck with your decision.
Old 04-02-2012, 03:59 PM
LawnSite Bronze Member

The best bet is the Husqvarna if it has a Kawi option, the ZT 60 is a good mower aswell and it has a Kawi option this year! I have never seen or demoed a Husky, but It looks to have a low center of gravity where the ZT60 rides higher. I myself prefer the lower center of gravity. I owned a BadBoy CZT42" before my present Hustler Superduty and that was one of the things I did not care for, some like it, I don't. I also did not like the fact that the deck had no overhang, this is something some guys could care less about, but me, I like the deck to hang over a bit, it is what I am used to. The CZT did ride really nice, it was very smooth and comfortable. It just lacked some of the things the Hustler has and that is why I went back to Hustler.

Have you demoed all of these machines?
Echo SRM-210
Stihl BR-600 Magnum
Stihl FS90
AMSOIL In Everything I own
Old 04-03-2012, 12:34 AM
LawnSite Bronze Member

If your not familiar with it try searchtempest.com. It's a master search for Craigslist and has been quite helpful to me. I would also look used and try to get heavier duty for the same $s hopefully. Good luck.
Old 04-04-2012, 01:58 AM
LawnSite Member

Spook1,
I'd avoid anything that does not have a commercial deck. The Deere that you mentioned has a the regular residential deck. If you go with Deere, you want the green 7 Iron series deck. The yellow decks are clog & clump monsters on the fescue in my neighborhood in Maryland.

Alot my neighbors have Deere tractors, gt245, 325's Lx188, etc. A couple of guys have Deere zturn 737 and 757. The 737 and 757 will cut circles around us regardless of wet, dry, tall or short. Plus the 7 iron deck seems to disperse the clippings about 6-8ft compared to 4-5ft for the yellow decks.

Good luck.
Old 04-08-2012, 11:06 PM
LawnSite Member

Not on your list but if you have a Scag dealer nearby the Freedom Z is worth a look..right around the $5000 mark and available with a Kawi engine.

My opinion is biased, I love orange..
Old 04-09-2012, 12:04 AM
LawnSite Member

Mz6128

I own a Husky Mz6128 and it leaves a splendid cut and with the 3400
series drives has more than enough power to go through heavy overgrown
grass with ease and the deck does not bog down. Mine has the
b&s 28hp engine.
Old 04-15-2012, 02:18 PM
LawnSite Member

Would factor in the reputation of dealer or shop that services each brand - hard to do your own servicing on a big ZTR at home - will they pick up and return mower, are they a reasonable distance away - most homeowners rely on this with annual servicing and just want the darn thing to work, not have to fix it themselves. Its $600 for a lift to get the blades off for sharpening.

Insist on a demo at home if the turf is anything but flat and simple - 60 inch ztr can scalp irregular slopes easily, and a heavy mower tread can tear up turf if soil is soft and you are not patient on turns. Conversely, if there is a big slope you may need a big engine.
Old 04-15-2012, 11:52 PM
LawnSite Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Remington351 View Post
Spook1,
I'd avoid anything that does not have a commercial deck. The Deere that you mentioned has a the regular residential deck. If you go with Deere, you want the green 7 Iron series deck. The yellow decks are clog & clump monsters on the fescue in my neighborhood in Maryland.

Alot my neighbors have Deere tractors, gt245, 325's Lx188, etc. A couple of guys have Deere zturn 737 and 757. The 737 and 757 will cut circles around us regardless of wet, dry, tall or short. Plus the 7 iron deck seems to disperse the clippings about 6-8ft compared to 4-5ft for the yellow decks.

Good luck.
The Z600 series do not have the "regular" residential yellow deck. John Deere calls the deck on the Z600's a "High Capacity." The 600's deck is stamped on the same press as the 7-iorn is so it's a much deeper design when compared to the normal residential decks and compatible with the 7-iron mulching kit.

The deck on the Z600 is stamped from 9 gauge steel instead of the 10 gauge so it's heavier than a normal residential deck but lighter than the 7 gauge commercials. The Z600's use the same aluminum spindles also found on the commercial 7-irons.

I have a Z655 and a Z920a both with 54" side discharge decks and the Z655 cuts, discharges, and stripes just as well as the big Z920 does.

Here is a pick of the Z655's stripes.

Residential & Commercial Mowing
Old 04-16-2012, 12:08 PM
LawnSite Bronze Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by GoldStarMowing View Post
The Z600 series do not have the "regular" residential yellow deck. John Deere calls the deck on the Z600's a "High Capacity." The 600's deck is stamped on the same press as the 7-iorn is so it's a much deeper design when compared to the normal residential decks and compatible with the 7-iron mulching kit.

The deck on the Z600 is stamped from 9 gauge steel instead of the 10 gauge so it's heavier than a normal residential deck but lighter than the 7 gauge commercials. The Z600's use the same aluminum spindles also found on the commercial 7-irons.

I have a Z655 and a Z920a both with 54" side discharge decks and the Z655 cuts, discharges, and stripes just as well as the big Z920 does.

Here is a pick of the Z655's stripes.

That does look very nice GoldStarMowing. Norther grasses do stripe nicely. Those JD's do mow as well as anything out there. I looked at the Z445 with the High Capacity deck. I didn't get it, but I would have been happy with that setup.