Register free!
Search
 
     

The Green Industry's Resource Center


Click for Weather
Reply
 
Thread Tools Display Modes
  #1  
Old 04-02-2012, 02:06 PM
beachtownlawnservice beachtownlawnservice is offline
LawnSite Member
 
Join Date: Jul 2010
Posts: 104
The truth about the time master

Ok. I bought a time master a few weeks ago. I thought it would be a good investment- time saver for my smaller residential yards. At first I really liked it, and on flat, weed free, weekly maintains yards it does a decent job. But it's not to be used as a daily commercial unit. I already see some signs of wear. One of the front wheels is already cracked and wobbling. On yards with any length it is seriously underpowered, it tends to scalp easily if the terrain is uneven or bumpy. The side discharge attachment tends to fall off easily, and it doesn't bag all that well. Now this is a decent mower but it is not going to hold up to what we put it through, we maintain 20-25 residential yards a day, plus some large apartments, condos, and H.O.A'S. I new when buying this unit it was not a commercial machine but I would Be happy if would hold up for at least a year. We replace most mowers yearly due to wear. But it is clear it will not last that long, and with its performance I am forced to pull it off line. Now don't get me wrong this will be a great machine for my own personal lawn, and I believe it will last several years , but its not for commercial use. This is not a slam on toro products, we run several commercial toro units and I am very happy with them. But the time master is strictialy a homeowner unit.
Reply With Quote
  #2  
Old 04-02-2012, 03:00 PM
Grass Shark's Avatar
Grass Shark Grass Shark is offline
LawnSite Senior Member
 
Join Date: Aug 2009
Location: Zone 7
Posts: 662
If you do 25 lawns a day, 125 lawns a week, and have other commercial units what gave you the bright idea to waste money on a low line homeowner machine and expect anything different from it? Say you are really doing 125 lawns a week @ $33 avg thats over $4000 wk gross, why did you buy a $2000 lawnmower. Then you make a post about it on here, if you would have read other threads you would have found a million about people wanting to start out with that mower. i'm confused
__________________
1999 F250 Diesel
2000 F350 Dump
16Ft Enclosed Trailer
10Ft Dump Trailer
12Ft Leaf Box Billy Goat
60" Exmark Lazer Z
52" Hustler Mini Z
44" Toro Z Master
36" Bunton WB
21" Honda WB
Redmax & Stihl Handhelds
Bunch of other crap!!
Reply With Quote
  #3  
Old 04-02-2012, 03:24 PM
GMLC's Avatar
GMLC GMLC is offline
LawnSite Platinum Member
 
Join Date: Jun 2010
Location: New Hampshire
Posts: 4,363
I'm not surprised one bit. A home owner unit is only made to mow a couple hours a week. A commercial unit will last you many years.
Posted via Mobile Device
Reply With Quote
  #4  
Old 04-02-2012, 03:29 PM
Richard Martin's Avatar
Richard Martin Richard Martin is offline
LawnSite Fanatic
 
Join Date: Mar 2000
Location: Greenville, NC
Posts: 14,466
Quote:
Originally Posted by Grass Shark View Post
If you do 25 lawns a day, 125 lawns a week, and have other commercial units what gave you the bright idea to waste money on a low line homeowner machine and expect anything different from it? Say you are really doing 125 lawns a week @ $33 avg thats over $4000 wk gross, why did you buy a $2000 lawnmower. Then you make a post about it on here, if you would have read other threads you would have found a million about people wanting to start out with that mower. i'm confused
It's actually about $1,000. That so many people are interested in a thousand dollar 30 inch mower is a sign of the economy. Most, if not all, of these guys are aware that you can get a commercial 32" mower for 3 times the price. But money is hard to come by in a lot of areas. It has been well documented here at Lawnsite, that there are people in literally every city in the land, that will cut your throat to take your job.

I myself have tried to get potential customers to pay more money. I've tried raising my bid prices by a mere $5. I get nothing. When I lived in MD I was paying for 3 commercial mowers at one time. I was also paying for a new car for my wife. I could never do that now. The money is just not there.

We still continue to loose blue collar jobs at an alarming rate. And these are the types of people that would start a lawn service and cut your throat because 10 dollars an hour is better than nothing. It doesn't matter that their Harry Homeowner equipment will wear out quick. These people have families to feed and bills to pay now. They're hoping for something to get better tomorrow but for today, cutting grass is better than nothing.

Lawn servicing rode the wave of prosperity throughout the late 90's and 2,000's just like everything else did. People were flush with cash from their big real estate kill or their cash out refinance. They could afford to hire a lawn guy and pay him good money. I saw it happen. I had customers that were raising their own prices. But a fool and their money seen go separate ways. And the money tide has gone out to sea, never to return.
__________________
Serving Greenville, Winterville and Ayden NC


Reply With Quote
  #5  
Old 04-02-2012, 03:32 PM
beachtownlawnservice beachtownlawnservice is offline
LawnSite Member
 
Join Date: Jul 2010
Posts: 104
we mow 20-25 the days off from the fire dept. the bright idea was to save time and money on a lighter mower with a larger deck at a cheaper price ( it was $999.).if it would hold up for a year i would buy 3 more . and that was my intention . its all about time and money. the less time we can spend on a yard, the more yards we could do in a day, is the less pay out X 3 guys at the end of the week. the cheaper the mower = less equipment cost, if the mower would have held up at least 1 year, it would have worked out great for us.. we replace or toro 21's yearly. you never know about a product until you try it. we run home depot, echo back pack blowers and they work great, they are actually holding up better than our stihls, and they are half the price of the stihls. I dont care about running the best commercial units etc. its all about keeping overhead down. the timemaster is a decent unit it just wont hold up to what we will put it through. we are gonna stick with the toro 21's
Reply With Quote
  #6  
Old 04-02-2012, 03:33 PM
kennc38's Avatar
kennc38 kennc38 is offline
LawnSite Senior Member
 
Join Date: May 2009
Location: Raleigh, NC
Posts: 281
Quote:
Originally Posted by beachtownlawnservice View Post
Ok. I bought a time master a few weeks ago. I thought it would be a good investment- time saver for my smaller residential yards. At first I really liked it, and on flat, weed free, weekly maintains yards it does a decent job. But it's not to be used as a daily commercial unit. I already see some signs of wear. One of the front wheels is already cracked and wobbling. On yards with any length it is seriously underpowered, it tends to scalp easily if the terrain is uneven or bumpy. The side discharge attachment tends to fall off easily, and it doesn't bag all that well. Now this is a decent mower but it is not going to hold up to what we put it through, we maintain 20-25 residential yards a day, plus some large apartments, condos, and H.O.A'S. I new when buying this unit it was not a commercial machine but I would Be happy if would hold up for at least a year. We replace most mowers yearly due to wear. But it is clear it will not last that long, and with its performance I am forced to pull it off line. Now don't get me wrong this will be a great machine for my own personal lawn, and I believe it will last several years , but its not for commercial use. This is not a slam on toro products, we run several commercial toro units and I am very happy with them. But the time master is strictialy a homeowner unit.
It wasn't designed nor is it advertised as a commercial mower, so why would expect it to perform like one? Gotta love reviews that slam residential products when they don't perform like commercial ones...
__________________
My Stuff:

Truck
Trailer
Walk-Behind Mower
Self-Propelled Mower
String Trimmer
Edger
Hedge Trimmer
Long Reach Hedge Trimmer
Blower
Chain Saw
Gas Can
Tool Box
Misc. Tools
Reply With Quote
  #7  
Old 04-02-2012, 04:04 PM
beachtownlawnservice beachtownlawnservice is offline
LawnSite Member
 
Join Date: Jul 2010
Posts: 104
It's not a slam on the unit. It was a review on why this unit won't work for me. It is a lesson learned with many more to come I'm sure. What I don't understand is why so many negative slams on my review? I understood when buying it that it is a residential unit I just wanted 1year out of it. It didn't' work out that way . Oh well it will serve my lawn well. Live and learn. But 1 question for the negative Nancy's. It been raining here sense 7:30 am so I'm on a rain day. Why are y'all on here slamming me on here instend of mowing. I wish I had time to sit around on the computer in the middle of the day and be a dick to someone admitting to a mistake.
Reply With Quote
  #8  
Old 04-02-2012, 04:32 PM
hammmerhead's Avatar
hammmerhead hammmerhead is offline
LawnSite Senior Member
 
Join Date: Sep 2010
Location: ozarks
Posts: 266
Quote:
Originally Posted by beachtownlawnservice View Post
It's not a slam on the unit. It was a review on why this unit won't work for me. It is a lesson learned with many more to come I'm sure. What I don't understand is why so many negative slams on my review? I understood when buying it that it is a residential unit I just wanted 1year out of it. It didn't' work out that way . Oh well it will serve my lawn well. Live and learn. But 1 question for the negative Nancy's. It been raining here sense 7:30 am so I'm on a rain day. Why are y'all on here slamming me on here instend of mowing. I wish I had time to sit around on the computer in the middle of the day and be a dick to someone admitting to a mistake.

From from the numbers you provided, you're mowing 400-500 yards per month even if you take the weekends off. Thats a lot of friggin yards, even if they are postage stamp sized, not to mention your HOA's, Apartments and Condo's. You obviously need a Commercial compact mower. Any ideas what you are going to look at?
Reply With Quote
  #9  
Old 04-02-2012, 04:50 PM
beachtownlawnservice beachtownlawnservice is offline
LawnSite Member
 
Join Date: Jul 2010
Posts: 104
were just gonna stick with with the commercial toro 21's. oh well .i thought it work wont be my first or last mistake
Reply With Quote
  #10  
Old 04-02-2012, 04:54 PM
THEGOLDPRO's Avatar
THEGOLDPRO THEGOLDPRO is offline
LawnSite Fanatic
 
Join Date: Jun 2006
Location: CONNECTICUT
Posts: 5,190
I told everyone when i first saw it it was a piece of homeowner junk but noooooo one believed me.
__________________
Official THEGOLDPRO fan club.HERE
2012 Equipment/Stripe thread Here
2011 Equipment/Stripe thread Here
2010 Equipment/Stripe thread Here
2009 Equipment/Stripe thread Here
Hurricane blower video Here
Reply With Quote
Reply

Thread Tools
Display Modes

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off

Forum Jump





Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.6
Copyright ©2000 - 2014, Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd.
Copyright ©1998 - 2012, LawnSite.comô - Moose River Media
All times are GMT -4. The time now is 10:01 PM.

Page generated in 0.07456 seconds with 7 queries