Register free!
Search

The Green Industry's Resource Center

Click for Weather

Old 04-06-2012, 01:28 PM
LawnSite Platinum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by mojokat View Post
All other considerations aside, keep in mind the deck on this thing plugs up in a few passes in virtually all conditions. Then it starts throwing chunks and grass biscuits everywhere unless you stop and clean the deck, then it won't start for a good 20 minutes.

NOT something I would want to be doing on someone elses lawn. Just my 2 cents.
This is my main concern with this mower. Reducing engine rpm helps in gooey conditions....but this mower is stuck at Max rpm.

This same engine basic engine is on my lawn solutions aerator and has the 3 position throttle engine stop lever. I think the Toro needs this modification. And better blade options.
Posted via Mobile Device
Old 04-06-2012, 09:04 PM
LawnSite Senior Member

I purchased the timemaster about a month or so ago. I used it steady for two weeks (5 lawns a day 5 days a week ish) and kept having issues with the governor messing up. After three visits to the dealer (they attempted to fix the issue each time) and come to find out the governor gear shattered and the camshaft needed to be replaced as well.

Now its fixed but the deck does clog up very easily even when side discharging. Also a higher lift blade would be great along with a throttle control. There's a version of a Snapper 21' commercial that has the same engine but with a throttle control and a spin on oil filter.

I was using the timemaster as my main unit but on lawns that aren't maintained weekly it just doesn't do very well.

When the timemaster went down I got a Scag 36 inch belt drive and its much more reliable and the deck doesn't clog at all and people actually like the stripes of the scag much better.
Old 04-06-2012, 09:25 PM
LawnSite Platinum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by rmland View Post
I have a quick 36 just sitting in the shop no one will touch that single hydro. that is a man killer, but my wife has no probblen with this toro, yes it is heavier than the honda but it looks like the wheel base is shorter and it really is no problem turning in tight spots. Again, it aint no scag
Okay....great question for you. How is the cut quality of the Toro 30" vs the Quick 36....? Do you have the higher lift single notch blades for the Q36 or just the old style low lift deck cloggers?

How is the deck clogging issues between these 2 mowers?

Funny I always thought if I got out of the biz I'd sell off all the mowers except my old Q36 single.
Posted via Mobile Device
Old 04-06-2012, 09:59 PM
LawnSite Member

I only get on lawnsite about once a week now, but I have seen 5,000 threads on the timemaster, most of which I dont waste my time reading. Toro Timemaster almost as great as bad boy mowers. Ha Ha
Old 04-07-2012, 12:05 AM
LawnSite Member

I bought a Tm and so far very pleased with it. I use it for my commercial and mainly mulch with. we all know spring is the time for dence green wet lush grass! I get buit up under my 721 grasshopper everday!and still I have to clean it everday, does this mean that this is not meant for commercial use? so yes grass gets build up under the time master deck and yes you have to clean it. this goes with all my mower! Its Spring! the grass is sticky! By the way the cut on the time master well give any commercial mower a run for the Money. that my two cents .
Old 04-07-2012, 01:26 AM
LawnSite Silver Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by smallstripesnc View Post
I purchased the timemaster about a month or so ago. I used it steady for two weeks (5 lawns a day 5 days a week ish) and kept having issues with the governor messing up. After three visits to the dealer (they attempted to fix the issue each time) and come to find out the governor gear shattered and the camshaft needed to be replaced as well.

Now its fixed but the deck does clog up very easily even when side discharging. Also a higher lift blade would be great along with a throttle control. There's a version of a Snapper 21' commercial that has the same engine but with a throttle control and a spin on oil filter.

I was using the timemaster as my main unit but on lawns that aren't maintained weekly it just doesn't do very well.

When the timemaster went down I got a Scag 36 inch belt drive and its much more reliable and the deck doesn't clog at all and people actually like the stripes of the scag much better.
The blades on the timemaster are designed for mulching, dry grass. This mower should not be used for for heavy wet grass yet. But it should work great in the heat of summer when the grass slows down, and the mulching blades will perform their best mulching or bagging. I think people are trying to use it under to extreme circumstances we encounter every spring. I put high lifts on in the spring and side discharge most of the time. Mulching blades on my Exmarks will clog everything up in minutes, so everyone thinking of cutting wet grass will be dissapointed until they get different blades as Exact has been stating.

2013 Exmark Pioneer S 60" Ultracut (Review with pics) http://www.lawnsite.com/showthread.php?t=410996

2010 Badboy Outlaw 6100 31 KAWI

2008 Exmark Lazer Z AS 60" U/C 28 Kawi

2000 Exmark Lazer Z 60" L/C Kawi 4100 + hrs strong
Old 04-07-2012, 08:46 PM
LawnSite Platinum Member

Was running errands in Spokane today dropped by a Toro dealer and measured the T30 blades. Basically 15-5/16" didn't pull off blade ...don't think salesman wanted wrench marks on bolts but I belive there are several blades with more lift that will.work with limited modification that can.be purchased off the shelf. The secondary timing holes will be easy.to center punch, line up and drill press.

Also bought stepped drill bits from.harbor freight to modify SCAG blade for my Ybravo 25 today.

Posted via Mobile Device
Old 04-08-2012, 12:28 PM
LawnSite Platinum Member

all that moding is nuts if you ask me.

I stick with what is recommended and available to buy for my equipment brands.

voids the warranty otherwise.
Old 04-08-2012, 03:37 PM
LawnSite Platinum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by yardguy28 View Post
all that moding is nuts if you ask me.

I stick with what is recommended and available to buy for my equipment brands.

voids the warranty otherwise.
Ideally a commercial user or homeowner should not have.to chase down better blades.

It really is in the best interest of every mower manufacturer to not neglect finding the best possible blade deck combo especially for mowers made for commercial use.

Since the T30 made for "Larry lawnmower or for Cynthia as featured in the Toro video they don't need to mow early in the.morning or in the rain or have to contend with extra spring growth. They can always wait for near ideal mowing conditions.

Not concerned about warranty issues. I'm in this to tweak existing equipment on the market so I can be more productive.

I'm considering swapping out part ASAP on the Toro badged Briggs and install the same two position throttle that is on my lawn solutions aerator.

Last edited by Exact Rototilling; 04-08-2012 at 03:42 PM.
Old 04-09-2014, 10:23 AM
LawnSite Member

Glad to see this thread got away from slamming on beachtown for simply sharing his experience to help others make an educated decision. Just goes to show that in most all cases in life "You get what you pay for"