Register free!
Search

The Green Industry's Resource Center

Click for Weather

Old 04-03-2012, 10:35 PM
LawnSite Member

Smile Lesco/John Deere ??

I have been to every nook and cranny of the new Lesco/John Deere Lawn Site and cannot find spreaders. Did John Deere ax Lesco spreaders when they made the switch? I am looking for a self propelled spreader, does anyone have any options if Lesco in defunked? I can't afford a ride on spreader yet.

Thanks for any info.

Phil
Old 04-04-2012, 01:53 AM
LawnSite Fanatic

They're still there. If you go into a JD Landscapes store the Lesco equipment is usually right there on the floor. You can see their lineup at this link:

https://www.johndeerelandscapes.com/..._spreaders.pdf

Old 04-04-2012, 04:59 AM
LawnSite Gold Member

Their website sucks now,even when you log in there;s no info and you have to call one of the stores.
Old 04-05-2012, 12:31 AM
LawnSite Silver Member

I've never seen a self propelled spreader that wasn't a ride on model. My favorite spreader is the Earthway http://www.earthway.com/products/mob...dcast-spreader. It weighs a ton less then the big square spreaders and is super easy to dump into a five gallon bucket if you need to apply different products on one property. It's also the lowest priced stainless model at about $300 online.

Services-AutoCAD Landscape Design & Install, Maintenance, Landscape Lighting, HD Holiday Lighting, Masonry (Stone, Block, Brick, and Stucco), & Arborist Work

Accreditations & Memberships- BBB, TNLA, TPCL 611373, & Class 1 Nurserymen.

Market Niche- High end residential.

-http://plantscapesolutions.net/
Old 04-05-2012, 01:09 AM
LawnSite Silver Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by PlantscapeSolutions View Post
I've never seen a self propelled spreader that wasn't a ride on model. My favorite spreader is the Earthway http://www.earthway.com/products/mob...dcast-spreader. It weighs a ton less then the big square spreaders and is super easy to dump into a five gallon bucket if you need to apply different products on one property. It's also the lowest priced stainless model at about $300 online.
Lesco had the hydro drive unit. I know some guys that had them for doing large open flat contracts.
Attached Images

Old 04-05-2012, 10:50 PM
LawnSite Senior Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by grandview (2006) View Post
Their website sucks now,even when you log in there;s no info...
Uggh! Amen to that! And all their on-line catalog has is a million pages of irrigation stuff and then landscape lighting.
Old 04-06-2012, 08:06 AM
LawnSite Member

I have always had very good service from rittenhouse, they provide a lot of Lesco Equipment and parts, since they are so hard to find. Below is their website.

http://www.rittenhouse.ca/
Old 04-06-2012, 08:29 AM
LawnSite Silver Member

The LESCO spreaders and other clone versions are like pigs on wheels. They are so heavy they unnecessarily wear you out from having to push around an extra 20-30 lbs all day. The fork that drives the agitator is is a weak POS that bends and stops working once you load up the hopper. The LESCO spreader is the most over rated spreader ever made. I had to call their cooperate office but I got my money back.

If you want to make doing applications a world easier try the Earthway C22SS like I did. You probably will not want a cumbersome self propelled spreader after you try the Earthway.

Services-AutoCAD Landscape Design & Install, Maintenance, Landscape Lighting, HD Holiday Lighting, Masonry (Stone, Block, Brick, and Stucco), & Arborist Work

Accreditations & Memberships- BBB, TNLA, TPCL 611373, & Class 1 Nurserymen.

Market Niche- High end residential.

-http://plantscapesolutions.net/
Old 04-06-2012, 08:32 AM
LawnSite Silver Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by CL&T View Post
Uggh! Amen to that! And all their on-line catalog has is a million pages of irrigation stuff and then landscape lighting.
I used to work for JDL/Lesco, I remember when we saw the first JDL print catalog and website catalog after the merger, previously we had only seen JDL's yearly catalogs from a competitors stand point. When we saw the first one after the merger none of us from the LESCO side like it, it was 500 pages of lighting, irrigation, pumps, a dozen pages of pavers/walls, and then in the middle was a page or two for Lesco Fert and seed. I really think the season they don't put so much into marketing the Lesco products is that so much of it is market driven. What one branch sold fer seed and fert was completely different than one across the country, even often much different than what was sold in neighboring stores 20 miles away. This could be seen on the old lesco site if you searched dimension or merit and seen how many different active item numbers there were. The area I worked in I had 6 branches 30-40 minutes of me, the most popular seed I sold, most of them didn't even stock. The most popular seed most of them sold, I didn't stock because my local market didn't wan't it.

I know thats a little off topic from the spreader post but I have always felt thats why the fert end didn't get the marketing that the rest did. While there are market trends with different irrigation products and lighting, its not as big as with the fert/seed part of the company. Why they don't market the equipment that is sold nationally like spreaders and skid sprayers better I don't know, and think it is a huge marketing lapse on their part. I know a lot of people think that JDL's lack of pushing Lesco is a way for them to slowly get rid of Lesco, you see those posts here all the time. I couldn't disagree with that any more. JDL tried very hard for a long time to get a strong foot hold in the Fert/seed market and over the years they bought numerous smaller retail/wholesalers and usually after the JDL accusitions they failed and closed. Lesco was their way to get a strong hold on the market plus introduce their JDL offerings such as irrigation and lighting to markets they had very little presence in such as the North East. Another way I know it's not going anywhere is while working there, you know of the types of long term contracts JDL/Lesco has established with vendors. Without going into detail as I don't know what was in all the confidentiality paper work I signed while there, JDL will be selling those products for a long time.

Sorry that this is a little off topic, but after rereading the original post asking for "options if lesco is defunct", I can see this turning into one of the threads where someone posts that they herd they are closing all the stores and getting out of the fert business. Usually this comes after someones local branch closes for per sales performance. Don't get me wrong, I am not pushing their product, I do very little business with them for reasons other than quality or price. Even though I do not buy my products there i honestly do believe they have some of the best products and offer the best service in the industry, I can attest to the ownership they take in there customers businesses, but I guess that last part really depends on the market your in and the particular guys in the branch.
Old 04-06-2012, 08:33 AM
LawnSite Bronze Member

JDL can't get me a deflector shield for my 80# spreader and said i have to buy a new spreader if i want a spreader gauge.