Register free!
Search

The Green Industry's Resource Center

Click for Weather

Old 04-17-2012, 04:48 PM
LawnSite Senior Member

getting web site found

How long should it take my web site to be crawled by google or yahoo. I have added it to a just about every where I can think of did a seo report today got a F. Im from a small town I am hoping to get to the front page by fall at least doing it my self for now. any help or ideas what else.
Old 04-17-2012, 06:11 PM
LawnSite Senior Member

Have you visited here: https://www.google.com/webmasters/tools/home?hl=en

There you can tell google you are the site owner, and believe even tell google that your site is ready to be crawled. There is also a bunch of other webmaster tools by google to help your SEO.

Have you added Google Analytics to EVERY page of your website? And are you actually using the Analytics information? Analytics can tell you which search engine your visitors found your site on, the keywords they searched to find your site, their location, and much more. Use that information to your advantage and it will help you better tailor your site to your visitors.

Also, I am going to send you a PM with something you will like!

Old 04-17-2012, 07:44 PM
LawnSite Senior Member

Dont think anyone can even find it. The only ppl that have been there went thro word of mouth. Its a new web site and i just am not good at waiting to see if the little i know and have done work.
Posted via Mobile Device
Old 04-17-2012, 11:10 PM
LawnSite Silver Member

We made suggestions when you put the site up, but when did you make the actual SEO changes? If it's one thing I've learned in all of my web years, it's that there is no rhyme or reason for when Google makes their first pass.

Adding to Kirk's point, getting on their radar with their services is actually a good start. I don't see a Google Places page for you (didn't check Bing/Yahoo), so that's also a must-have.

And now that I look, it doesn't look like you did much, at all, with the suggestions we all made, so...

Last edited by tonygreek; 04-17-2012 at 11:17 PM.
Old 04-19-2012, 12:14 PM
LawnSite Member

I use my web design company to host and back-link my site to other sites to grow strength. It cost me $160 a quarter for their service. Do I think it is a lot of money? ... Yes, but I have started to really gain a lot of business off my website. In having a website up for a little over a month I have went from being on page 11 of google to bottom of page 2 in one search for a particular town "lawn care" and my other town I serve I'm on page 1 with tons of other big lawn care companies, while I'm in year two of being in business. This is in a town of Des Moines, Iowa
Old 04-19-2012, 01:21 PM
LawnSite Silver Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Wiedmann View Post
I use my web design company to host and back-link my site to other sites to grow strength. It cost me $160 a quarter for their service. Do I think it is a lot of money? ... Yes, but I have started to really gain a lot of business off my website. In having a website up for a little over a month I have went from being on page 11 of google to bottom of page 2 in one search for a particular town "lawn care" and my other town I serve I'm on page 1 with tons of other big lawn care companies, while I'm in year two of being in business. This is in a town of Des Moines, Iowa
I'm seeing you on Page 3 for "Des Moines lawn care" and "lawn care Des Moines" and zero back-links?
Old 04-19-2012, 01:26 PM
LawnSite Member

search west des moines lawn care, i dont have as much to compete with in that search but in the des moines i have more to compete with. I'm happy with being ranked this high so soon after putting my site up. I'm not sure why it's not back linked. I was linked with a ton of other pages a couple weeks ago.
Old 04-19-2012, 02:33 PM
LawnSite Senior Member

How do i check and or what is the easiest way to get back links
Posted via Mobile Device
Old 04-19-2012, 03:05 PM
LawnSite Member

Tony and kirk have always have solid advice here, also know it's not an instant thing. For one site I've worked on it took a year or longer to get into a decent result set. It's a process.

As a "plug" you can create a listing on my site for free which will create a backlink for you, then once we begin to open up job postings for your area you'll receive emails when there's a job to do.

In any case it's a free backlink.
Old 04-22-2012, 11:46 PM
LawnSite Member

Use the AdWords keyword tool to see how many people are actually looking for a certain keyword or phrase. Local SEO in most cases is not that popular and is a toss up between you and 3 other people in your area. Giving 300 to be on the Yahoo Directory is a big help for page rank. Submit to DMOZ now and later if it is listed, you will be on top of the game for sure. Take advantage of YellowPages and all other directories you can muster up. Submit to Google maps and Places, stumble-upon, Digg, squidoo, backpage, craigslist, (even though they are no-follow now) youtube channel descriptions are a great place to store variant backlinks and eBay listings with your keywords and a link to your site can also be a big help for driving traffic. The most important thing is keeping people on your site when they get there. If google notices everybody who goes to your site leaves quickly, you get a poor bounce rate and that keyword or traffic source is adjusted to better serve the user of the search engine. Make changes to your site often so Google will see your site is not just a flyer handout and offers information and more information.