Register free!
Search

The Green Industry's Resource Center

Click for Weather

Old 04-04-2012, 01:02 PM
LawnSite Member

my invoicing software opinions

Just starting out, im trying to keep my costs down. Ive tried many of the free programs and trials out there and have a general opinion on them.

These are all online, no software to install. This is huge for me since i live on my iPhone/iPad.

Wave Accounting - free
clean appearance, does invoicing and links to bank account. gives nice graph to show net income vs expense vs invoice amounts send/paid. no scheduling which is unfortunate. no way to print out a job list obviously, which would be used to take notes and such on accounts while at the job site.

ZoHo Invoicing - free (i think this is google's line and they have books, invoicing, crm, etc etc)
very nice looking! no scheduling, job list print outs but does awesome emailing invoices, estimates, thank you's, etc. all done within the ZoHo itself. there are books and calander that zoho makes but you can not link these as far as i know.

FreshBooks - paid.. not willing to pay at this point just yet.
tried things out too early to see how it really works but there are so many of these FreshBooks alternatives out there that it is your choice on pretty much the name of what you want. Freshbooks has its own iPhone app that makes this different to all others though.

Gohper Software- paid
this looks way too old to be and just a pretty (not pretty at all actually) picture over excel. doesnt flow or have user friendlyness like these others. not polished. does not link to your bank or google calander or outlook. no email functionality within the program itself either.

LawnPro - paid
everyone knows the support sucks (atleast thats what i read and will not pay yet to find out) the free version is limited to 10 accounts or 12 maybe. no expenses or estimates on this version so i pretty much gave this up immediatly. although i sort of like the layout of this program

Groundskeeper Pro - paid
very cheesy looking, no email through program or calander syncing. tried this out for a while and seems ok besides that but cant get over the cheesyness of this program.

Quickbooks - paid (most use QXpress addin for scheduling)
combined i guess this works for many. being that i only have 6 customers so far, not willing to pay, especially this ammount of money. money aside, i think this would be a pretty decent option since it is such a widely used program in this great country. huge downfall i see though, you have to pay 15 bucks a month to have it automatically download your account transactions each time you open this. the alternative is to download the activity file from you bank and import that into quickbooks each time you want to see the changes. for someone using this program once a week, i dont see that being a huge deal. i dont have employees so wont need to be paying anyone which is a benifet of the $15 per month

thats sort of my opinions of all i have tried. now, let me tell you guys what i personally need software for and maybe there is something out there i am missing and worth a shot. if i find something i am in love with, i will decide if paying is what i realistically need to do.

here is what i want...
customer name, address, monthly billing and weekly or bi weekly scheduling. send invoice at end of month. send estimates to new customers. enter expesnses and see a graph of net income, etc. link to bank account would be very nice. printing out a job list for the day is something i want.
Old 04-04-2012, 01:11 PM
LawnSite Member

Pretty obvious you are new considering your evaluation of the listed software is pretty much totally off. Who cares what a program looks like if it works well?

Anyways I'd suggest you start out with excel, you could use some practice balancing and scheduling manually, that way when it's time to get to the big boys you will be able to properly utilize the software.
Old 04-04-2012, 01:17 PM
LawnSite Member

whats your personal thoughts on Groundskeeper and Gopher and Quickbooks?
Old 04-04-2012, 01:20 PM
LawnSite Member

First of all, how big is your business? What are you using? Push mowers and clippers?
Old 04-04-2012, 07:06 PM
LawnSite Member

Just go with quickbooks... it is use more by CPA's.. so.. when you go to your accountant.. all files and data will be compatible.
Old 04-04-2012, 07:28 PM
LawnSite Fanatic

I second the QuickBooks suggestion of ScaggyGrass (interesting handle, BTW).

You can't be hurting too bad if you have an iPhone and an Ipad. Some of have been in business for over 15 years, have no need of a smartphone, or tablet device. We just do the basics of day-to-day work without gadgets. This is a very simple business.

QB is a small investment to get your financial house in order, from the beginning. You manage your bank account, checks, receivables, credit cards, and expenses. From my years on LS and hearing stories of people in trouble, managing finances was last on their list, "... just need a program to make invoices."
Old 04-04-2012, 08:32 PM
LawnSite Member

but with quickbooks, i am still only limited to working on one or 2 computers, not my iphone which i ultimately would like to do.

yes, accountants use this and would better help them at the end of the year. but throughout the entire year, i am attached to a computer.

arent there any online (cloud) solutions out there

and i have these devices because my last job bought them for me
Old 04-04-2012, 08:42 PM
LawnSite Fanatic

I use this and love it https://www.landscapebilling.com/ its like 5 bucks a month. its fully online, so you can access it from any computer/smartphone at any time.

That was my biggest demand as i wanted to be able to access it form my ipad at any time while out on the road.
2010 Equipment/Stripe thread Here
2009 Equipment/Stripe thread Here
Hurricane blower video Here
Old 04-04-2012, 08:49 PM
LawnSite Bronze Member

I have an Iphone and I use invioce 2 go. I think it was $9.99 at the apple store. Works great.
All Echo hand helds
<- That's how I feel at the end of the day.
Old 04-04-2012, 08:50 PM
LawnSite Member

how long have you been using it? anything you dont like? prints daily job list? does it link to your bank account? give you any graphs or how much in and out? i like it...