Register free!
Search

The Green Industry's Resource Center

Click for Weather

Old 12-19-2012, 09:35 PM
LawnSite Member

Just Lawns?

I was wondering how many of my fellow members just do mowings and mulch jobs vs doing patios etc. I have had great luck with it just not sure if im ready to do more or stay were im comfortable.
Old 12-19-2012, 10:23 PM
LawnSite Fanatic

i mostly just mow, blow, and go and do nothing else. i have a few people that have their lawns mowed when leaves fall during november/december. most don't even care to have that done. i've done a few small mulch jobs and trimmed some shrubs a couple of times but nothing regular. i just mow basically and that's really the only part i wanna get into in this business. i'm solo so i have no help to do things like patios and big mulch jobs and so forth.
Old 12-19-2012, 11:26 PM
LawnSite Fanatic

I don't do hardscaping, patios, pavers etc. at all. It's just too labor intensive for me. I will do things like ripping out overgrown beds and replanting them, reclaiming overgrown areas, lawn renovations and such, but I stay away from anything resembling masonry. The funny thing is that my original business plan had me doing all the stuff I stay away from and not doing a lot of the stuff I do. A lot of the reason is that I don't like living job-to-job. Maintenance work is a more steady flow.
Old 12-20-2012, 09:58 AM
LawnSite Platinum Member

Some of the largest landscape companies in the US are maintenance only companies. Property management I believe is term being used by them, focusing on commercial, residential and municipal property maintenance.
Posted via Mobile Device
Old 12-20-2012, 12:42 PM
LawnSite Silver Member

I do 95% maintenance. No masonry. We do put in lawns, beds, shrubs, trees.

Supah-Duty
Exmark-Gravely-Scag
Stihl-Redmax
Old 12-20-2012, 01:25 PM
LawnSite Platinum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Trucklover View Post
I was wondering how many of my fellow members just do mowings and mulch jobs vs doing patios etc. I have had great luck with it just not sure if im ready to do more or stay were im comfortable.
I'm like Jason. I mostly do mow, trim, edge, blow and go and leaves in the fall.

I do have a handful of accounts where I do the rest of the maintenance as well. mulching and shrub pruning. but by and far the majority of my clients are the quick mows and leaves in the fall. which is one of the reason I started my own business vs working for someone else.

in my business I focus on what I enjoy doing and leave the rest for someone else.
Old 12-20-2012, 06:59 PM
LawnSite Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by yardguy28 View Post
I'm like Jason. I mostly do mow, trim, edge, blow and go and leaves in the fall.

I do have a handful of accounts where I do the rest of the maintenance as well. mulching and shrub pruning. but by and far the majority of my clients are the quick mows and leaves in the fall. which is one of the reason I started my own business vs working for someone else.

in my business I focus on what I enjoy doing and leave the rest for someone else.
Thats my thinking just enjoy working for my self and not have a boss. The only person I have to answer to is the government for taxes
Old 12-20-2012, 08:22 PM
LawnSite Fanatic

Quote:
Originally Posted by Trucklover View Post
Thats my thinking just enjoy working for my self and not have a boss. The only person I have to answer to is the government for taxes
right on man. if you can't do that then what's the point of owning your own business? no need to be a slave to your own business. make it what you want it to be.
Old 12-20-2012, 08:25 PM
LawnSite Senior Member

Our business was built on chemical applications, so we do a ton of weed control and fertilizing aside from lawn/landscape maintenance. Maintenance for us includes bush trimming, shrub pruning, tree pruning, bed cleaning, leaf removal, gutter cleaning, and of course, mowing/edging/blowing. We also do gopher and mole control as part of our lawn service.
Old 12-20-2012, 08:46 PM
LawnSite Bronze Member

Oh boy
1st If you are solo how do you go on family vactions take time off in summer for family? To me that is why I have my own business
2nd cutting grass can make you a living but every year lawns get cheaper and cheaper so it is harder tan ever to make a good living
Briefly I have been in business since 1986 my original customers are some of my best payers
When I started it was me, then me +1 and i did very well
Then I got married and wanted to spend time in vacation tough to do solo or with 1 guy
So after several years like that basic mowing I realized I was an employee not a real business owner R
After years like that I now have 15 guys working doing full hard scraping anD yes it is labor intensive but in a 2 or 3 day job I can make more money than in a month of mowing
You need to decide what you wnt to do be a slave to your company or be a boss and let your company make you money
How many years do you want to cut lawns or will your body let you cut lawns for