Register free!

The Green Industry's Resource Center

Old 04-11-2012, 10:36 AM
LawnSite Senior Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Brown & Co. View Post
I wouldnt advice going to college for anything other than the certifcations or license you need to do business.

it could take a me a year for 50 and I expect to increase indefinatly forever by 25% every year...thats my numbers.
You might want to rethink that college thing or start using spell check.
Old 04-13-2012, 08:12 PM
LawnSite Silver Member

Quote:
I wouldnt advice going to college for anything other than the certifcations or license you need to do business.

it could take a me a year for 50 and I expect to increase indefinatly forever by 25% every year...thats my numbers.
Quote:
Originally Posted by snomaha View Post
Hey don't fault him on his spelling, he's to busy planning his landscaping empire to use stop and use spell check. Think about it, 50k his first year and an increase of 25% indefinitely after that. That means by year 5 he'll be making $122,000; at year 10 he'll be making $372,500; year fifteen he'll pass that million a year mark and make $1,136,868; if he stays in the business until year 25 he'll make over $10,500,000 that year. One would think with such an increase in sales each year one would be receiving plenty of buy out options from the national companies. But if the company is such a cashcow with such growth one would be stupid to sell it for very little when compared to what it WILL indefinitely bring in each season. If he holds onto it, at year 35 he'll be just under the billion dollar mark. If he has children that take over the family business and continue his successful growth, at year 62 they will make about $40 billion dollars. So I guess we should all plan on closing our businesses in the next 50-60 years since there will be no customers left for us.
Old 04-13-2012, 08:24 PM
LawnSite Silver Member

Quote:

Quote:
Originally Posted by snomaha View Post
Hey don't fault him on his spelling, he's to busy planning his landscaping empire to use stop and use spell check. Think about it, 50k his first year and an increase of 25% indefinitely after that. That means by year 5 he'll be making $122,000; at year 10 he'll be making $372,500; year fifteen he'll pass that million a year mark and make $1,136,868; if he stays in the business until year 25 he'll make over $10,500,000 that year. One would think with such an increase in sales each year one would be receiving plenty of buy out options from the national companies. But if the company is such a cashcow with such growth one would be stupid to sell it for very little when compared to what it WILL indefinitely bring in each season. If he holds onto it, at year 35 he'll be just under the billion dollar mark. If he has children that take over the family business and continue his successful growth, at year 62 they will make about $40 billion dollars. So I guess we should all plan on closing our businesses in the next 50-60 years since there will be no customers left for us.

i just remembered this thread was about NET profit, which will even more impressive when Brown & Co is making the numbers listed above.

So Brown, here is my question for you. This first year you are planning 50k a year. So 1% is worth $500. I will give you double that, $1,000 for 1% of the business as a silent partner. If you grow the business as you say you can, it won't take long for that 1% to be paying dividends high enough for me to sit on my couch all day and live a life of luxury with out needing to lift a finger.
Old 04-17-2012, 11:53 AM
LawnSite Member

I have a small landscape business in one of the worst economic cities in the US, Cleveland. I work full-time for a non-profit and I landscape in the evenings and Saturdays. I have one f350, 1 52 inch scag, mantis, hedge trimmers, Stihl f110, Stihl BR600, 2 sprayers and a handful of hand tools, and a 33" toro. I will gross about $20,000 and probably net $14,000, since I work by myself. I had a partner, but it did not work out, so I went on my own this year. The key for me is to only have 10-14 customers and always be selling the side projects. Maintenance is cash flow, side projects is the profit. Additionally, I have had about 10 years experience working for a landscape company, and that really helped. I hope this helps you. Work hard, maintain your equipment, and stay organized with your clients, bills, and bottom line. I made an excel spreadsheet, where I drop in my expenses and work (revenue) and I always know how I am doing. That is real important.
Old 04-17-2012, 11:58 AM
LawnSite Member

As I posted before, when it comes to equipment I always search ebay and Craigslist. Some guys beleive in buying new, I don't. Everything I have is paid for, so I owe nothing. My only fixed bill is contractor's insurance. I am always looking for good deals, as long as the equipment is not worn out.
Old 04-17-2012, 12:26 PM
LawnSite Senior Member

You get paid a wage for what you do and a return on what you own. When you say net, it should be the bottom line after all expenses are taken out - including your own fair market wage. What would you have to pay someone to do the job you are doing? If you don't include owners wages as an expense your numbers are lying to you.
When you read 20k gross and netted 14k my guess is the 14k was what was left over before figuring what a fair market wage would of been to complete the work? I don't care if you are a sole prop, llc or S corp.
Old 05-07-2012, 11:46 PM
LawnSite Senior Member

to be honest i dont want to go over 100,000 a year, if i can net at least 65,000 a year im cool with that, im just waiting on my wife to finish school before i try to expand on accounts. one more year to go. i dont want a heartattack or stroke trying to be a walmart and everyone else a winndixie, i rather be a wlagreens and stay in cruise control.
echo srm 266 trimmer
echo srm 2400 trimmer
redmax ebz 6500 blower
echo bp 250 blower
john deere stick edger
2 crapsman push mowers
20 inch key start lawnboy self propelled
weedeater gas hedgetrimmer

5 years in business

Last edited by joel29m; 05-07-2012 at 11:51 PM.
Old 05-08-2012, 01:54 AM
LawnSite Gold Member

It took me a long time, I did it one day at a time.
Old 05-08-2012, 07:35 PM
LawnSite Senior Member

It took me three years to get to about 80. This year it will be quite a bit more than that.

All I am going to say is this:

-Space intentionally left blank- (send me a pm)
Old 05-08-2012, 10:46 PM
LawnSite Senior Member

I hate being overwhelmed. I wish I could shed some accounts. I have myself and 4 other employees. I was happy when years back when I toke home more than 50k. Now the stress, hours, estimates, phone calls, maintenance etc becomes overwhelming. Stay small and keep it all.
48 and 52 inch Scag Pro-V's
48 and 36 inch Great Dane hydro WB's
2-21in Honda HRC 216 hydro
Echo Hedge trimmer HC-150
2- Shindaiwa multi tool M2510
2-Hitachi string trimmers
Shindaiwa BP blower 854
Robin BP blower
Shindaiwa HT 2510 30in single sided trimmers
Echo Blower ES-230
Stihl Chain Saw 250

Tags