Register free!

The Green Industry's Resource Center

Old 04-05-2012, 02:47 PM
LawnSite Fanatic

what is it with older people?

i'm not trying to disrespect my elders or anything but why is it that older people think their yard is the only yard you cut and they get upset if you are coming a day later than normal because of rain or whatever?

today it's gonna rain. it's been sprinkling a bit here or there already but storms are expected. 70% chance. now it's easy from the customer's view because they can say look it hasn't rained all day yet so you had time to come cut it but they don't see it from my view where i have no idea what time the rain will start. it may start at 12pm or it may not start until 6pm or anywhere in between. it would help if the weather reports were 100% accurate but they aren't. so instead of risking it and it pouring down on me half way through the yard i've decided to just wait until tomorrow to do it. i mean yeah i would've had time to do it now that i see it hasn't rained yet but this morning i had no idea what time it would start so how was i to know? i'd just rather not load up the trailer and everything and try to go mow and end up getting rained out when i could just wait and do it tomorrow without worry.

one customer was already calling me yesterday (wed) asking me to cut it a day earlier because it was gonna rain thurs. i already had a full day of mowing wed so i couldn't do that i told them. i said i'll just do it friday if it rains thurs but they just don't seem to get it. it's like they think you aren't gonna show up and cut it or something. anyone else experience this?

Last edited by weeze; 04-05-2012 at 02:53 PM.
Old 04-05-2012, 02:50 PM
LawnSite Senior Member

their kids are gone and they want o have control over something
Old 04-05-2012, 02:52 PM
LawnSite Senior Member

yep - had it today actually. She said, well better hurry before it gets too tall. Wanted to ask how tall she thought it was gonna get in a day. Oh well, one day maybe I can do that to someone else.
Old 04-05-2012, 03:17 PM
LawnSite Silver Member

I mainly have one lady I have trouble with. She wants it mowed just as close to the weekend as possible, even though her husband has passed away, and she never has any company on the weekends, as her son is there every day working on the farm anyway. We mowed yesterday, because of rain forecast today, and waited to do hers on the way home, at 6:00 PM, and, sure enough, she made a remark about thinking we would be there Thursday. Then after I explained my reasoning, she told me the bad thing was by this time tomorrow, the dandelions would be sticking up all over. Well, I ain't too smart, but if we had mowed at 10:00 this morning instead, the dandelions would still be sticking up all over tomorrow anyway!
Old 04-05-2012, 03:33 PM
LawnSite Bronze Member

Dumb people age also....
Old 04-05-2012, 03:45 PM
LawnSite Gold Member

I've only got one or two that ever give me any trouble about it. One is not that old, but he likes to let me know when I have disappointed him by being there late in the day or a day late. I try my best, but weather doesn't always cooperate. Plus he runs the sprinklers on the morning of the day that I am supposed to cut it. Not a problem in late spring through late fall. But it doesn't dry out terribly fast when the sun angle is low and it's not hot out. He doesn't like me to be there after 4:30 pm. So you have to weigh the options. Risk tearing the thin turf in the shaded areas because the area is damp, or wait for it to dry out and risk getting there too late.
Old 04-05-2012, 04:42 PM
LawnSite Senior Member

Jason, I have one older client like that. On her street, she's in the culdesac and I mow 3 of the yards in the culdesac then I have one a few houses up the street which I usually start with and finish on her yard since it's the largest of the 4. She always seems to make a comment like "Are you going to do mine today?" Um...Yeah, Have I ever not? lol

What's weird is some days she's nice and other she's pissy and complains about everything under the son. She always brings me a glass of iced tea though when I'm mowing regardless of her mood.

Jason, did you get rid of the Walker? (btw this is Macgyver from TW)
Old 04-05-2012, 05:58 PM
LawnSite Member

Old people have a lot of time on their hands and are lonely. They will run out to the mail box as soon as the mail man is out of sight because they are bored stiff and have nothing else to do. Then they will read all the third class mail from front to back.

I had an old lady years ago who would be drunk at noon. It's called being bored.
Old 04-05-2012, 06:14 PM
LawnSite Gold Member

If Stan see's Stosh's lawn being cut you better believe he wants his cut!
Old 04-05-2012, 06:20 PM
LawnSite Bronze Member

I we didn't cut in the rain and on a schedule here, we wouldn't be working at all!!!