Register free!
Search

The Green Industry's Resource Center

Click for Weather

Old 04-06-2012, 10:59 AM
LawnSite Member

Any sprinkler guys? Help

About six months ago I bought a house. The sprinkler system has been giving me some fits. The water pressure for the sprinklers seems very subpar. Below at some facts.

1. House is on well water
2. House pump and sprinkler pump both use same well (1 1/2" well)
3. Replaced sprinkler and house pump
4. Sprinkler pump now Gould 3/4hp jet pump
5. Water pressure for sprinkler didn't seem to improve
6. Rotary heads barely spray 15", pop ups 5-8'
7. 4 total zones for 1/3 acre lot
8. Approx 8 rotary and 18 pop ups

What do you think could be the problem? I was thinking it could be..

1. The well pipe not pulling enough water being 1 1/2"
2. Pipes being nasty and clogged with iron buildup
3. Too few zones and too many heads

I called out a sprinkler guy, and he said the well isnt putting out enough water to run it properly and to get a second well dug. Use the house pump for current well, and sprinklers on the new well since the "bad" well was good enough for house use.

Then I called out a well guy, and he said the well with the sprinkler pump is putting out around 12 gallons per minute and that is more than enough for a sprinkler system to run just fine. He then said call a sprinkler guy and have them give you low flow heads and it will be fine and you will save a ton of money by not having to need me dig a second well.

I didnt really like the first sprinkler guy, so called a second sprinkler company. This guy said the well isn't putting out enough water. He said he can replace all my heads and hope it fixes the problem and that would be around $500. He said I could also just get another well and be 90% sure it is fixed, and a 10% chance I still need newer heads since most are older, but working.

I was watching a DIY show last night and they were talking about some heads only needing 3/4 of a gallon per minute, are these the answer?

Any advice? Tips?

Thanks!!
Old 04-06-2012, 11:05 AM
LawnSite Fanatic

Determine your current zone flow requirements and report back. Any "sprinkler" guy that didn't start there you send packing.
Old 04-06-2012, 11:51 AM
LawnSite Bronze Member

U need to break them up into zones, if they are all coming on at the same time. How many zones do you have and what type sprinklet heads in each zone?
Posted via Mobile Device
Old 04-06-2012, 12:00 PM
LawnSite Member

I have 4 zones with mainly pop up heads for back two zones which cover back yard, and mainly rotary heads for two front yard zones.

I assume zone flow requirements are the gpm needed for the heads in each zone? If so, how would I get that amount? The yard is a mix of rain bird, hunter, and K rain heads.
Posted via Mobile Device
Old 04-06-2012, 02:18 PM
LawnSite Fanatic

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gators10 View Post
I have 4 zones with mainly pop up heads for back two zones which cover back yard, and mainly rotary heads for two front yard zones.

I assume zone flow requirements are the gpm needed for the heads in each zone? If so, how would I get that amount? The yard is a mix of rain bird, hunter, and K rain heads.
Posted via Mobile Device
Either use an appropriate flow meter on your main, or collect information on the sprinkler, nozzle type, and nozzle pressure for all the sprinklers in each zone. Then use the manufactures charts to determine your approximate total flow rate for each zone. If you don't have the necessary tools for collecting nozzle pressure, then use your dynamic pressure minus an educated guess (or calculated if you have the required data) for system losses for each zone.
Old 04-06-2012, 03:44 PM
LawnSite Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kiril View Post
Either use an appropriate flow meter on your main, or collect information on the sprinkler, nozzle type, and nozzle pressure for all the sprinklers in each zone. Then use the manufactures charts to determine your approximate total flow rate for each zone. If you don't have the necessary tools for collecting nozzle pressure, then use your dynamic pressure minus an educated guess (or calculated if you have the required data) for system losses for each zone.
Most of the heads are old and I have no way to tell what type of heads they are other than brand. The one sprinkler guy put a pressure meter I believe it was on the pump and the reading was 25 something? Does that make sense or help at all?
Old 04-06-2012, 07:43 PM
LawnSite Member

Well this may be easier, if I scored to just replace all the heads, and knowing I have low flow per minute, which heads would you reccomend?
Posted via Mobile Device
Old 04-06-2012, 07:56 PM
LawnSite Fanatic

When you say "mainly" does that mean you have popups and rotors on the same zone?
Posted via Mobile Device
Old 04-06-2012, 08:04 PM
LawnSite Member

Off the top of my head..

One zone has 9 pop ups and 1 rotary. One has 10 pop ups. One has 9 pop ups. One has 8 rotarys.
Posted via Mobile Device
Old 04-06-2012, 08:20 PM
LawnSite Fanatic

Rotary and popups should never be used on the same zone. 8 rotary on one zone is probably too much.
Posted via Mobile Device