Register free!
Search

The Green Industry's Resource Center

Click for Weather

Old 04-07-2012, 01:10 PM
LawnSite Bronze Member

If i'm reading correctly, you said you have 25 psi at your well? you may have to look into intalling a higher psi set of contact points on your well. i have 40 to 60 PSI points (cut on at 40 psi & off at 60 psi) on mine and it's like having city water pressure. i would also reccomment putting a pressure gauge on your well so you can monitor the pressure on it any time you need to.

i'm not a sprinkler expert, but i have maintained all our wells on our property for many years.
20' landscape trailer - 6.5x12 landscape trailer
5x10 utility trailer
3- 60" lazers, 1- 72" lazer 1- 36" W/B
15 shindaiwa handhelds, 3 echo saws
36" stihl chainsaw
2 fs100rx's, 2 br600 magnum FS94R, KM90
'92 long 2360/6'king kutter w/7.5x18 trailer

lawn sprinklers save your grass, fire sprinklers save your -----
Old 04-10-2012, 08:13 AM
LawnSite Fanatic

Have you tinkered anymore?
Posted via Mobile Device
Old 04-10-2012, 09:08 AM
LawnSite Fanatic

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gators10 View Post
Most of the heads are old and I have no way to tell what type of heads they are other than brand. The one sprinkler guy put a pressure meter I believe it was on the pump and the reading was 25 something? Does that make sense or help at all?
25 PSI at the pump is not enough to run anything. That is your first of many problems.
Old 04-10-2012, 08:09 PM
LawnSite Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kiril View Post
25 PSI at the pump is not enough to run anything. That is your first of many problems.
I don't think it's 25 psi at the pump. I think he said it was a volume meter maybe?

What pressure do you need for a proper working sprinkler system?
Old 04-10-2012, 08:42 PM
LawnSite Member

I just checked and there is a gauge on the top of the sprinkler pump. It is jumping like crazywhile running between 10-20 psi. So is that my problem? The well isn't cutting it?

Thanks guys
Old 04-11-2012, 08:39 AM
LawnSite Fanatic

Ideally you want ~ 45 PSI at your typical rotor nozzle and ~ 30 PSI at your typical spray nozzle. In terms of the pressure reading, what was running (in terms of water usage) when the pump was running? Have you audited your irrigation water usage? Collect information on each zone for sprinkler type and nozzle type, then look up the water usage in the charts for the recommended operating pressure on each nozzle. If any zone exceeds 8-10 GPM then that is your first problem, assuming the well is actually putting out 12 GPM.
Old 04-11-2012, 08:55 AM
LawnSite Member

Quote:
Ideally you want ~ 45 PSI at your typical rotor nozzle and ~ 30 PSI at your typical spray nozzle. In terms of the pressure reading, what was running (in terms of water usage) when the pump was running? Have you audited your irrigation water usage? Collect information on each zone for sprinkler type and nozzle type, then look up the water usage in the charts for the recommended operating pressure on each nozzle. If any zone exceeds 8-10 GPM then that is your first problem, assuming the well is actually putting out 12 GPM.
Wow ok. So is it safe to say I need another well. The neighbors have sprinkler systems and they kick butt and look like they are supposed to. Hell next door the guy has one that probably shoots 50 feet where my struggle to do 15.

The only thing running at that time was the sprinkler system. One zone with 7 rotary heads. I have never audited the water usage since all the math seems quite confusing for a normal person to do, and there are 4 different type of rotary heads across that one zone (Hunter, K rain, rain bird and orbit) and most are so old you cant see anything on them to figure out what exact type they are.

Part of me would like a second well anyway and keep using the one well we have now for the house since the pressure for that is fine. I am assuming the screen is clogged, or the well pipe has holes in it which are causing the pressure issues?
Old 04-11-2012, 09:16 AM
LawnSite Fanatic

Quote:
Wow ok. So is it safe to say I need another well.
Don't jump to conclusions

Quote:
The neighbors have sprinkler systems and they kick butt and look like they are supposed to. Hell next door the guy has one that probably shoots 50 feet where my struggle to do 15.
The difference might be as simple as a properly designed system vs. yours.

Quote:
The only thing running at that time was the sprinkler system. One zone with 7 rotary heads.
Then depending on the nozzles, you could be easily exceeding the wells capacity. Given the reported pressure reading, this is more likely the case than not.

Quote:
I have never audited the water usage since all the math seems quite confusing for a normal person to do, and there are 4 different type of rotary heads across that one zone (Hunter, K rain, rain bird and orbit) and most are so old you cant see anything on them to figure out what exact type they are.
It's not confusing .... simple addition. The nozzles typically have a number on them.

Quote:
Part of me would like a second well anyway and keep using the one well we have now for the house since the pressure for that is fine. I am assuming the screen is clogged, or the well pipe has holes in it which are causing the pressure issues?
Personally, I wouldn't do anything until I had fully audited the irrigation system. Based on what you have said so far the system sounds like it was poorly designed and is in need of a overhaul. The poor design is also quite likely the reason for the poor performance, assuming it has always performed the same.

Last edited by Kiril; 04-11-2012 at 09:21 AM.
Old 04-11-2012, 09:24 AM
LawnSite Member

Quote:
Don't jump to conclusions

The difference might be as simple as a properly designed system vs. yours.

Then depending on the nozzles, you could be easily exceeding the wells capacity. Given the reported pressure reading, this is more likely the case than not.

It's not confusing .... simple addition. The nozzles typically have a number on them.

Personally, I wouldn't do anything until I had fully audited the irrigation system. Based on what you have said so far the system sounds like it was poorly designed and is in need of a overhaul. The poor design is also quite likely the reason for the poor performance, assuming it has always performed the same.

Ok well tonight I will try to get all that info together. What is the proper way to do an audit if you dont mind me asking? And let me get this straight, a system can work with low flow, but you just have to either make more zones to spread the load, or get low flow nozzles?

Also, wouldnt it be better to get a second well anyway so I could at least run the house pump and sprinkler pump at the same time for convenience?
Old 04-11-2012, 09:45 AM
LawnSite Fanatic

Quote:
Ok well tonight I will try to get all that info together. What is the proper way to do an audit if you dont mind me asking?
No offense, but this is something you should hire a qualified consultant to do. This is the minimum you would need to do.

http://www.irrigationbc.com/assets/c..._April2007.pdf

Quote:
And let me get this straight, a system can work with low flow, but you just have to either make more zones to spread the load, or get low flow nozzles?
Yes, but simply swapping nozzles may not do it. It is possible you could replace the rotors with something more appropriate (like MPRotators), but that depends on how the system was designed and installed. You also have to consider your pumps BEP.

Quote:
Also, wouldnt it be better to get a second well anyway so I could at least run the house pump and sprinkler pump at the same time for convenience?
If you have money burning a hole in your pocket then put in a second well. That however doesn't fix the problems with your irrigation system so that begs the question why. Collect the data you need to make an informed decision.