Register free!

Old 04-09-2012, 10:41 PM
LawnSite Platinum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by dglights View Post
Doesn't look like they have the patented locking knuckle. Vision3 and BK both have different patents on this.
Sherman, if you don't mind my asking, what portion of your products are domestic vs. foreign and do your fixtures qualify under the terms that Steve Parrot noted above?
Old 04-10-2012, 12:12 PM
LawnSite Member

Hi Gregg, we manufacture/assemble everything in the US, including electronics and LED modules. The only component not manufactured state side are the optics which account for less than 1% of product cost. I think most manufacturers of integrated LED are producing in the US, it allows for more design control and flexibility.
Old 04-13-2012, 04:51 AM
LawnSite Fanatic

You can ad Philips / Hadco to the list. They are made in the USA.

www.lewislandscape.com - Portland Oregon Landscaping Company

landscape design Portland Oregon
Old 07-02-2012, 11:42 PM
LawnSite Member

Sorry Jim, Hadco is made in China just like many of the other "import & re-branding" companies mentioned in this thread.

It's complete joke to see companies call themselves a manufacturer(forms raw materials into finished products) when they are clearly a wholesale distributor(buys in large quantities and then breaks bulk), or an importer(bring goods from an outside source), and some are simply branding goods under a private label and still make the claim of being a manufacturer. And the best yet is when someone calls themselves a manufacturer just because they provide a design idea or have the factory change the function or form, reality tells me they should call themselves an engineers or designers assistant at best, ya it's your design but have enough balls to give credit where it is due and take credit for what you honestly contribute to the overall product.

Any takers willing to step up and add to this? Should we scrutinize a little more aggressively when someone claims they are a manufacturer?
Old 07-03-2012, 02:27 AM
LawnSite Fanatic

Okay. That may be true. That's just what I was told. I don't really care one way or another. Of course I'd prefer things to be made in America. But I've resigned to the notion that things being made in America doesn't really happen much anymore. The lighting I install is made in China. The irrigation I install is mostly made in Mexico. The computer I'm typing on was made in Japan. It's that kind of world now, I guess.

www.lewislandscape.com - Portland Oregon Landscaping Company

landscape design Portland Oregon
Old 07-03-2012, 09:55 PM
LawnSite Member

Made in USA... a thing of the past?... or coming back?

[QUOTE=irrig8r;4373674]Anyone ever hear of Rethink Lighting?

http://www.rethinklightinginc.com/so..._lighting.html

Be careful of Rethink Lighting. I did a large project with their ( well supposedly their lights) and it turned into a big fiasco. I can't go into details here, but frankly, I don't even think they are still in business.

As for made in USA... A few comments and thoughts....

Way back when, I was consulting for a company called Sturdy Lantern. I had gone to college with one of the sons, and they hired me to handle some of their landscape lighting show rooms and displays.

They were a company that had been around for over 50 years and made everything in USA. I was at the factory, I saw this myself. Over the period of the early 90s and forward, the Chinese infusion of lighting was becoming more and more prevalent and business was off. They moved from a 110,000 sf facility to a 50,000 sf facility and by the time we got to 1997, they were closed.

It was impossible to compete and stay afloat with so much product infiltrating the marketplace at such lower price points.

The principle of the company, managed to start a small spin off that just made landscape lighting as we had the tools and dies to make the parts. That didn't last either because of the same reasons.

The industry that we are in is now represented by a good amount of manufacturers who do make product off shore. There are others who make some here and some there, and yet others who make it all here, but with some parts made overseas.

One company to take a second look is Nightscaping. Like some of you, I got my start with Nightscaping and through the education from the company and from Bill Locklin himself. As I understand it, Nightscaping manufactures components in the USA and if that is what you are looking for, they are certainly a company experienced in the art of landscape lighting and the creation of fixtures that suit the needs of the lighting designer.

In light of all of these factors, I have mixed up my lighting pallet to include some of everything. Certain jobs require the use of Chinese made brass fixtures, and drop in LED's, while others can support the use of machined brass integrated LED fixtures. There are no absolutes. We all need to do what we have to in order to keep our businesses running while maintaining the quality and integrity of our projects.

Happy 4th of July

George
Old 07-04-2012, 12:23 AM
LawnSite Member

Jim, I agree with you there! My computer is also from Japan but my desk is from Sweden.

I think the main factors are fair price, quality of product, and dependability of distributor to honor the warranty if the manufacturer decides to fold.

I have been known to use a BL5016 or too myself.