Register free!
Search

The Green Industry's Resource Center

Click for Weather

Old 04-14-2014, 06:26 PM
LawnSite Senior Member

Billing; can someone please school me on what I'm doing wrong?

So I have quickbooks and gopher. I use gopher for scheduling and keep track of work completed. At the end of the month I look at all the completed jobs in gopher and create invoices in quickbooks according to the work completed. Every month I'm late on the billing, I forget to add extra services I performed and sometimes over bill customers. Unfortunately I'm not new to this business and honestly have to admit I've never setup a sound billing system. Please help me before I start losing customers and losing money.
Posted via Mobile Device
Old 04-14-2014, 06:38 PM
LawnSite Senior Member

Exmarkking, if you figure out what you are doing wrong, please let me know. I am the opposite, I AM NEW, but would love to setup a sound billing system. I'm in the same situation as you, just don't sound like I'm as bad, no offense. I don't forget to bill for extra services, nor do I undercharge, but I do feel "unorganized." I use Jobber, print out my monthly schedule, after every mowing, I mark it off on the schedule with either black pen and a P for paid or a red pen and an I for invoice. I then set down on the 19th, and add all the invoices up and prepare them and send them on the 20th. One thing I HAVE learned, you have to get use to the paper work and billing because it's part of business. I think it's best to appoint a certain time frame down to the day and hour each month before you plan to send invoices, and dedicate that as your "billing" or "work time." Or should I say "Desk time." Kind of like you have a schedule during the day time, I think we should also have a desk time schedule, unless you want to hire a secretary.
Old 04-14-2014, 06:43 PM
LawnSite Senior Member

I'm sure I'm doing multiple things wrong. You have to work on any business and constantly improve it and change it for more customer etc. I never changed or developed a system to handle the amount of customers I have. I'm still running the business as if I have 5 customers when I have many more now. There are to many cracks in my system. That's why I'm reaching out to see if someone will respond with how they handle it and what works for them.
Posted via Mobile Device
Old 04-14-2014, 06:44 PM
LawnSite Platinum Member

Jobber and auto billing.

Don't try to manually enter into two different programs. That's just asking for conflicting data as you've experienced.
Posted via Mobile Device
Old 04-14-2014, 06:58 PM
LawnSite Member

I use Outlook for all of my scheduling. I can tell it how often to repeat the job. Hard part is, I'd you don't get the work done you have to go on and reset the schedule. I've started using quickbooks 2014 premiere. If you use the time sheet and enter all expenses you will bill customers, while you are creating invoices it will automatically enter all charges associated with each customer.
Posted via Mobile Device
Old 04-14-2014, 07:14 PM
LawnSite Member

www.yardbook.com

Your Welcome
You can keep track of tasks/jobs/payments and even send/print invoices to customers. Best part is it's FREE
Old 04-14-2014, 08:35 PM
LawnSite Gold Member

I have multiple customers with maintenance agreements, commercial and residential...each account has additional work billed ..also have some call in residentials...here is my routine...I use clip and quickbooks but it functions pretty similarly to jobber or qxpress.....
The day before the end of the month I transfer all invoice data into quickbooks including my installment aka maintenace agreement customers usual amounts...my program consolidates all the bills by account....installment customers have one invoice with their regular monthly amount and additional items listed with clock in and out times listed...
All call in customers have one invoice with all their months work listed by date...times etc..
I review all the invoices in quickbooks and make any changes necessary such as discounts and also review for accuracy.

I hit send on the first of each month...prior to hitting send, I download any automatic charged credit card data...those customers which set up to have their cards charged will then get an invoice marked as paid...

The key here is to set up all additional work in your program while at the job and when you mark it as completed online while there, all you will have to do it upload it at end of the month. If a customer pays, enter that check or cash into your quickbooks when you get back to the office...at end of month when you create QuickBooks invoices it will ask if you want to apply available credits...
The end of the month process should take about an hour, maybe two if you set up your scheduling program properly.
2 Sears electric weedeaters
1 green machine electric leaf blower
1 sears articulating hedge trimmer-electric
2 50ft power cords
3 Leaf rakes
1 shovel
1 pocket knife
cooler for beer
lawn chair to enjoy a beer while I wait for the cash to be handed to me
Old 04-14-2014, 08:51 PM
LawnSite Senior Member

Thanks for the replies so far. I use gopher soley for scheduling. I don't even put prices in there. It creates my route and schedule and each day I print off my list. When I get home I complete the job in gopher and the program keeps a tally of work completed. I have a spread sheet with the customers monthly price if they get billed the same each month, and a list of per visit customers that get billed for each visit. I create an invoice for each monthly customer since it's the same each price each month. Then I switch back and forth between gopher and quickbooks to count how many visits for each per visit customer and make invoices for those. I really don't have a way of keeping track of extra work. Maybe I'm the problem and to lazy/tired to use gopher more because you can enter extra services in that program. I hand write maintenace estimates by hand on the job and anything else I make notes and transfer them to wuickbooks to email the formal estimate from there. I just feel like data is not getting entered in it lost/forgotten.
Posted via Mobile Device
Old 04-14-2014, 09:55 PM
LawnSite Gold Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by exmarkking View Post
Thanks for the replies so far. I use gopher soley for scheduling. I don't even put prices in there. It creates my route and schedule and each day I print off my list. When I get home I complete the job in gopher and the program keeps a tally of work completed. I have a spread sheet with the customers monthly price if they get billed the same each month, and a list of per visit customers that get billed for each visit. I create an invoice for each monthly customer since it's the same each price each month. Then I switch back and forth between gopher and quickbooks to count how many visits for each per visit customer and make invoices for those. I really don't have a way of keeping track of extra work. Maybe I'm the problem and to lazy/tired to use gopher more because you can enter extra services in that program. I hand write maintenace estimates by hand on the job and anything else I make notes and transfer them to wuickbooks to email the formal estimate from there. I just feel like data is not getting entered in it lost/forgotten.
Posted via Mobile Device
Not clear why you don't put prices in there and transfer everything to quickbooks...I'd think gopher would do that same as clip...if you use one of the online scheduling programs, you can enter extra work while on job...the new onkine version of clip is like 30 bucks a month...they have free support..
2 Sears electric weedeaters
1 green machine electric leaf blower
1 sears articulating hedge trimmer-electric
2 50ft power cords
3 Leaf rakes
1 shovel
1 pocket knife
cooler for beer
lawn chair to enjoy a beer while I wait for the cash to be handed to me
Old 04-14-2014, 10:44 PM
LawnSite Senior Member

Gopher has really horrible transfers between quickbooks. I've been thinking about this all night. Do you think I should just get a laptop for the truck and create an invoice at every stop and then send a statement at the end of the month? That would eliminate all this transferring and room for error. Think about it. I work out of the truck all day. When the phone rings, I feel out a form that has to be brought home with me and entered into quickbooks, you know how tired you are after work and rarely do I put that stuff in each night...it gets put off. It's to much double entry. If a new customer called while in the truck, I could enter name, address etc right there while on the phone. Hell I could even schedule a time and day to give them an estimate since I would have my schedule on front of me. I think it might solve my problem. But it would create another problem because that laptop would be destroyed from all the dust, dirt, etc and possibly stolen
Posted via Mobile Device