Register free!

The Green Industry's Resource Center

Old 05-23-2012, 10:25 PM
LawnSite Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by ptjackson View Post
IHA I know a fair bit about the space since I'm working in it. One I haven't talked to anyone who LIKES service magic that's not to say they still don't use them but they don't really like it. They charge per lead, they sell the same lead to multiple companies in your area, and depending on area and service depends on what they charge. I think the minimum is about $15-$20.

Now for a little bit of a commercial. My site works more like red beacon only for landscape and outdoor companies. There are some differences but that's the idea. Full disclosure it only went live about a week ago so there's probably not jobs yet in your area. However, it's FREE to create a listing right now and it's a nice link to your website or Facebook page for FREE. There's a place to show off your work, logos etc. all FREE. Poke around, my site is completely transparent so you can see how it works. I'd love to hear what you do or don't like about it.
Thanks,
Phil
ServiceVines.com
You got another member
Old 05-23-2012, 10:39 PM
LawnSite Member

thanks @landscapemanFL Great looking logo. I'm here to make a service that people love, If I'm successful at that then I'll be successful.
Old 01-08-2014, 06:02 PM
LawnSite Senior Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by cpllawncare View Post
Service magic isn't worth it to me I tried it last year and got nothing but junk leads, you have to call back immediately or you will lose the lead, I have a buddy who has a marketing dept for his company and they answer all leads immediately and even he says service magic is junk, but Angie's list has been a totally different story, I'm currently closing 4 out of five leads and they are very good leads people that are ready for a good service provider and willing to pay the going rate. Just be careful cause if you do a bad job you get the bad reviews as you should but I've also had people threaten me that if I didn't give them something other than the agreed upon service they will give me a bad review, I'm in communication with them now now about that, I've heard of the same thing from other companies also so it's not just me.
Are you paying the 1100/year to advertise there, or did one of your clients rate you and that's how people find out about you?
Old 01-08-2014, 06:11 PM
LawnSite Silver Member

It's more than $1100/year, we're in several categories.It also has to do with market size.
Old 01-08-2014, 08:18 PM
LawnSite Senior Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by cpllawncare View Post
It's more than $1100/year, we're in several categories.It also has to do with market size.
An Angie's list lady called me today and quoted me roughly $1100. She said there were 8000 clients in my area. I asked how big my area was and she said the surrounding 60 miles. Only 1/4 of the people within 60 miles are in my service range. That means only 2000 angie's list people are in my area and I would be paying 1100 bucks for it. She is calling back tomorrow. I am open to trying a new advertising strategy each year, but I don't like tying up a big part of my marketing budget for 1 thing like that. I am leaning towards NO THANKS! Have you noticed any big benefits from being upgraded to one of their paying clients? Did you see a big jump in calls? Are there any benefits that I should know about besides more exposure? Thanks
Old 01-08-2014, 10:04 PM
LawnSite Silver Member

The biggest benefit I've seen is the fact that most of the clients,not all mind you but most, are ready to buy when they call. $1100/year shouldn't be a major part of your advertising budget, that's not near enough over the course of a year.
Old 02-10-2014, 12:18 PM
LawnSite Bronze Member

Been a while since this discussion started.

Seems the Angie's List is making more progress for themselve than Service Magic. Angie's List sends out quite a bit of mail, too.

I can't tell yet if Angie's List's reputation is rising or falling among homeowners. Although I hear the name mentioned a lot less.

Coast Redwoods . . . Landscaping Portland & Tree Service . . . M. D. Vaden Photography

http://www.lawnsite.com/image.php?type=sigpic&userid=9938&dateline=1262369890
Old 02-10-2014, 12:49 PM
LawnSite Senior Member

Update: Angie's list contacted me back and quoted me under $400 to advertise for the year to the county that is relevant to me. I decided to give it a try. My service area is only 30k so most of you will have significantly higher prices. When one types in lawn care I am at the very top because I am the only paying member in my area. I can update you in a few months if it has been profitable or not.
Old 02-10-2014, 06:51 PM
LawnSite Silver Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cedar Lawn Care View Post
Update: Angie's list contacted me back and quoted me under $400 to advertise for the year to the county that is relevant to me. I decided to give it a try. My service area is only 30k so most of you will have significantly higher prices. When one types in lawn care I am at the very top because I am the only paying member in my area. I can update you in a few months if it has been profitable or not.
how many catagories? sounds like only one, $400/year is an awful small area, the upside is you're the only one they will be calling.
Old 02-12-2014, 11:48 AM
LawnSite Bronze Member

For us, Angie's List is HUGE.

Two years ago, I started to solicit reviews from customers and I sent AL my customer list (they cross-reference it to get reviews in…) and it just exploded. We have over 40 (not all posted, unfortunately) positive reviews and one bad one. We've won 5 Super Service awards the past 2 years.

Customers hit us up constantly. A lot don't send in reviews, which sucks. I can't count how many jobs we've done thru AL. GREAT source for a good customer who cares. They do call you and mail you a lot, once you've become a good company on their site…. trying to get you to buy advertising, better page placement, monthly mailer ads. I have turned them down for two years. Have not paid them a dime for anything. One day I will, when we want to place an ad.

www.PerfectEarthLandscape.com

Follow my updates and pictures on Facebook and LawnSite