Register free!

The Green Industry's Resource Center



Reply
 
Thread Tools   Display Modes
  #71  
Old 03-25-2014, 12:55 PM
JCLawn and more's Avatar
JCLawn and more JCLawn and more is online now
LawnSite Fanatic
 
Join Date: Sep 2009
Location: MI
Posts: 5,068
Quote:
Originally Posted by grassmonkey0311 View Post
I think all these are crap and I distance myself as far away from them as possible. But its hard to compare a review website vs a lead generating website.

AL uses strong arm mafia tactics to get what they want. Same with Yelp. The info is all over the internet.

http://www.forbes.com/sites/greatspe...o-angies-list/

http://www.ripoffreport.com/r/Angies...nternet-364982

http://angies-list.pissedconsumer.co...807192837.html <<<<<<Read the comments on this one


Here are 2 about Yelp. The first one has some great info and updates on Yelp being sued.

http://yelp-sucks.com/

http://www.forbes.com/sites/jimhandy...d-think-again/


ServiceMagic/HomeAdvisor/whatever-name-is-next generates leads for you, but needs YOUR $$$$ to keep their site going. Like Facebook, they rely on your $$$ to make them money. Lets do a quick rundown:

Lets say my wife is nagging me about a bathroom renovation. I finally cave in and wonder how much it costs. So insteaad of googleing people, I just go on service magic. I type in what I want, and BOOM! Within minutes I've got all these people calling me. Almost as if it were a race to get my business. But guess what? It is (I'll explain why later). So after talking to a few, I set up appointments, they come over and submit quotes. All are out of our price range and we decide to look elsewhere.

Now, looking at it from a business point of view, you had a giant waste of time. You spent money on a lead that turned up bad, gave money to service magic for their leads and they keep sending you bad leads. But worst of all, you and a few other contractors all got the same lead. You all raced to the phone to get in contact with them first. You were beat out and lost. If you had been the first to call, your chances of getting the project were much higher. But was the customer serious about getting the project done or were they looking for a general "ballpark" figure on what it cost? Now lets say most other landscapers and lawn services in your area didn't sign up with them, well, you have a better shot at getting the job. But if Juan, Carlos, and Hector Gomez all signed up, well, your SOL.

There are other lead generating sites, like Thumbtack, where you pay per lead. If the potential customer doesn't look at your quote, you get your money back. This is a far better deal. But I have found most customers on thumbtack use it to start a bidding war and the cheapest price wins. Last year I put a bid in for a lead. I requested more info from the cutomer (she waned mulch and shrubs trimmed) so I did a visit. I met with the lady the next day, got a quote and told her the price. Her jaw dropped. She said she didn't know it was going to be that expensive. I must have been comparable to her other quotes because a year later it still wasn't done. Just registering and creating my profile has helped my SEO, which is always a plus.

Craigslist can generate some bad customers. But you have to set yourself apart from your competitors. Make your ad different. Make key points on why your customers like you, or what you do better. Best of all, its free.
Great review on something you don't understand. A few of us use this on here but we don't like to pipe up about it because we make bank because this is the popular perception of servicemagic/home advisor. Ill just say I pay per lead and most all my leads are exact match meaning they specifically clicked on my company requesting a quote when they advertise my company on the internet. Also every lead is saved so right now I can recall everyone last year who needed something done (which was 180 of them) and see if they need anything done this summer.
Reply With Quote
  #72  
Old 03-25-2014, 03:17 PM
grassmonkey0311's Avatar
grassmonkey0311 grassmonkey0311 is offline
LawnSite Senior Member
 
Join Date: Feb 2013
Location: MD/NC
Posts: 717
Quote:
Originally Posted by JCLawn and more View Post
Great review on something you don't understand. A few of us use this on here but we don't like to pipe up about it because we make bank because this is the popular perception of servicemagic/home advisor. Ill just say I pay per lead and most all my leads are exact match meaning they specifically clicked on my company requesting a quote when they advertise my company on the internet. Also every lead is saved so right now I can recall everyone last year who needed something done (which was 180 of them) and see if they need anything done this summer.
I filled out their form 1 time for an estimate and was flooded with phone calls for a month. I learned my lesson on that!!!

It may have worked well for you, or a specific service you offer. But it won't work well for everyone.

http://www.consumeraffairs.com/homeo...vicemagic.html
Reply With Quote
  #73  
Old 03-25-2014, 03:23 PM
CreativeLawncareSolutions's Avatar
CreativeLawncareSolutions CreativeLawncareSolutions is offline
LawnSite Bronze Member
 
Join Date: Jan 2013
Location: cincinnati, oh
Posts: 1,592
I used Service Magic for deck/fence leads in the past. Most of the problems came from people who had no idea what things actually cost. "A deck will cost me 10 grand?!?!" LOL. It was hilarious. We did get jobs from them on occasion, though.

I don't see how this is a good service for lawn care. Jobs aren't pricey enough. Not worth the time.
__________________


F-150
14' landscape trailer
52'' Wright Stander
21'' Personal Pace
Stihl handhelds
Reply With Quote
  #74  
Old 03-25-2014, 03:29 PM
JCLawn and more's Avatar
JCLawn and more JCLawn and more is online now
LawnSite Fanatic
 
Join Date: Sep 2009
Location: MI
Posts: 5,068
Quote:
Originally Posted by grassmonkey0311 View Post
I filled out their form 1 time for an estimate and was flooded with phone calls for a month. I learned my lesson on that!!!

It may have worked well for you, or a specific service you offer. But it won't work well for everyone.

http://www.consumeraffairs.com/homeo...vicemagic.html
You can find complaints about any large company. Look up lowes, marathon, wal-mart, Google, mac, Dell and you will find loads of complainers because that's what the site is for. Complaints. It really doesnt mean squat. Usually the complainers are just that. Also the most anyone would call you is 4 times unless they gave out numbers to friends hahaha. Also I find it funny that you are complaining that it worked, just to well.
Posted via Mobile Device
Reply With Quote
  #75  
Old 03-25-2014, 03:33 PM
JCLawn and more's Avatar
JCLawn and more JCLawn and more is online now
LawnSite Fanatic
 
Join Date: Sep 2009
Location: MI
Posts: 5,068
Quote:
Originally Posted by CreativeLawncareSolutions View Post
I used Service Magic for deck/fence leads in the past. Most of the problems came from people who had no idea what things actually cost. "A deck will cost me 10 grand?!?!" LOL. It was hilarious. We did get jobs from them on occasion, though.

I don't see how this is a good service for lawn care. Jobs aren't pricey enough. Not worth the time.
$12 for a lawn lead and I usually charge customers I get from there more anyways. The normal for me is to get 2 referals per home advisor customer. One guy on here said he Payed on average of $100 per customer through mailers and other advertising avenues.
Posted via Mobile Device
Reply With Quote
  #76  
Old 03-25-2014, 04:00 PM
grassmonkey0311's Avatar
grassmonkey0311 grassmonkey0311 is offline
LawnSite Senior Member
 
Join Date: Feb 2013
Location: MD/NC
Posts: 717
Quote:
Originally Posted by JCLawn and more View Post
Also I find it funny that you are complaining that it worked, just to well.
Posted via Mobile Device
Being called a bunch of times from companies AFTER I told them no doesn't work at all. It's annoying.

I agree all sites have bad reviews. But when 1 site posts 16 bad reviews in 1 month, there seems to be a problem.

You want to see how funny review sites are? Check this BBB review on them.

http://www.bbb.org/denver/business-r...od-co-22000608

In the last 12 months, they have had 171 complaints about them. In the last 3 years, they have had 591 complaints. Yet they are still ranked A+.
Reply With Quote
  #77  
Old 03-25-2014, 04:15 PM
JCLawn and more's Avatar
JCLawn and more JCLawn and more is online now
LawnSite Fanatic
 
Join Date: Sep 2009
Location: MI
Posts: 5,068
Quote:
Originally Posted by grassmonkey0311 View Post
Being called a bunch of times from companies AFTER I told them no doesn't work at all. It's annoying.

I agree all sites have bad reviews. But when 1 site posts 16 bad reviews in 1 month, there seems to be a problem.

You want to see how funny review sites are? Check this BBB review on them.

http://www.bbb.org/denver/business-r...od-co-22000608

In the last 12 months, they have had 171 complaints about them. In the last 3 years, they have had 591 complaints. Yet they are still ranked A+.
check out the wiki http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/HomeAdvisor. The website says that 25 million people have used homeadvisor since 1998. 591 complaints childs play. Check out the google review https://www.google.com/shopping/sell...isor.com&hl=en 1800 reviews in the past 12 months and it carries a 4.9 out of 5 rating. Its also owned by IAC which owns ask.com, okcupid, about.com, dictionary.com, vimeo, urban spoon, the daily beast and so on.
Reply With Quote
  #78  
Old 03-25-2014, 06:56 PM
grassmonkey0311's Avatar
grassmonkey0311 grassmonkey0311 is offline
LawnSite Senior Member
 
Join Date: Feb 2013
Location: MD/NC
Posts: 717
Quote:
Originally Posted by JCLawn and more View Post
check out the wiki http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/HomeAdvisor. The website says that 25 million people have used homeadvisor since 1998. 591 complaints childs play. Check out the google review https://www.google.com/shopping/sell...isor.com&hl=en 1800 reviews in the past 12 months and it carries a 4.9 out of 5 rating. Its also owned by IAC which owns ask.com, okcupid, about.com, dictionary.com, vimeo, urban spoon, the daily beast and so on.
Anyone can make a Wikipedia page and put whatever they want. Check this out: (For all you Marines out there, this is hilarious!)

http://en.wikipedia.org/w/index.php?...ldid=591972254
Reply With Quote
  #79  
Old 03-25-2014, 08:03 PM
JCLawn and more's Avatar
JCLawn and more JCLawn and more is online now
LawnSite Fanatic
 
Join Date: Sep 2009
Location: MI
Posts: 5,068
Quote:
Originally Posted by grassmonkey0311 View Post
Anyone can make a Wikipedia page and put whatever they want. Check this out: (For all you Marines out there, this is hilarious!)

http://en.wikipedia.org/w/index.php?...ldid=591972254
Ok just disregard all the facts hahahahaha
Posted via Mobile Device
Reply With Quote
  #80  
Old 03-29-2014, 06:05 PM
cotyledon cotyledon is online now
LawnSite Member
 
Join Date: Mar 2014
Location: yaphank ny
Posts: 206
Quote:
Originally Posted by fannin76 View Post
I've never used Angie's list but she looks like a b itch in her commercials
Posted via Mobile Device
Lol ! . She does !. O yea she is !.
__________________
Reply With Quote
Reply

Thread Tools
Display Modes

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off

Forum Jump





Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.6
Copyright ©2000 - 2014, Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd.
Copyright ©1998 - 2012, LawnSite.comô - Moose River Media
All times are GMT -4. The time now is 10:27 PM.

Page generated in 0.06955 seconds with 7 queries