Register free!
Search

The Green Industry's Resource Center

Click for Weather

Old 04-06-2014, 02:19 PM
LawnSite Silver Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by OakNut View Post
Maybe. Although anyone with $35 can join for a full year, so it's not exactly exclusive to those with money to spend.
I've gotten several calls from AL members in pretty crappy areas.

While most are looking for someone they can trust to do good work, some are willing to pay for that benefit - some not so much.

Just got a call.

"I saw your reviews on Angie's List and wanted to get an estimate for mowing my lawn this season."

When I asked for the address, she said, "Well, let me ask you something first".

"I have "Greeny Green" come and fertilize and he said that if you cut the grass too often, it's bad for it - can you come only when I call?"

I explained that with the exception of a few tiny, city lots that are shaded by trees and can be cut every two weeks, I do my cuts on a weekly basis because waiting two weeks is generally too long and it's hard to cut properly then.

"Oh - no that's too often - maybe 10 days or so?"

I politely continued on, but there was no way I was taking on a "just come when I need it cut" job.
She said she would try someone else and thanked me for my time.
Old 04-06-2014, 03:22 PM
LawnSite Member

Quote:
Just got a call.

"I saw your reviews on Angie's List and wanted to get an estimate for mowing my lawn this season."

"I have "Greeny Green" come and fertilize and he said that if you cut the grass too often, it's bad for it - can you come only when I call?"

I explained that with the exception of a few tiny, city lots that are shaded by trees and can be cut every two weeks, I do my cuts on a weekly basis because waiting two weeks is generally too long and it's hard to cut properly then.

I politely continued on, but there was no way I was taking on a "just come when I need it cut" job.

Angie's list ppl are so knit picky and annoying ! Some will even threaten u with a bad review if you don't comply to their every whiny need
Old 04-06-2014, 06:29 PM
LawnSite Bronze Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by cotyledon View Post
Angie's list ppl are so knit picky and annoying ! Some will even threaten u with a bad review if you don't comply to their every whiny need
NO, they are not. They are the type of customer who wants a job well done. As every customer should, no matter the source.

They are willing to pay a fair price for it as well and they DO pay fast. You fall short?... You are held accountable. Been a great resource for us.

www.PerfectEarthLandscape.com

Follow my updates and pictures on Facebook and LawnSite
Old 04-06-2014, 09:10 PM
LawnSite Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by PerfectEarth View Post
NO, they are not. They are the type of customer who wants a job well done. As every customer should, no matter the source.

They are willing to pay a fair price for it as well and they DO pay fast. You fall short?... You are held accountable. Been a great resource for us.
hm. how long have you ben involved with them ? how many super service awards are on your wall right now ? I can tell you from experience that angies list is only out for them selves , they do not practice what they preach . they are a machine set up to make money from every angle .

but for you by all means go out and drum up more busness for her , give her the phone numbers or your best customers so she can annoy them with pushy sales calls .

please don't ever ask me if "I fall short"
Old 04-06-2014, 09:15 PM
LawnSite Fanatic

Www.yelpsucks.com
Posted via Mobile Device
Old 04-07-2014, 08:34 PM
LawnSite Silver Member

I've got two super service awards on my wall, my only issue for the moment is they keep raising their rates, I've told my account manager that their ROI is diminishing every time they do that, and there IS a cutoff point. I've not had a lot of problems with the customers most are reasonable and willing to pay for a quality service.
Old 04-08-2014, 09:04 AM
LawnSite Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by cpllawncare View Post
I've got two super service awards on my wall, my only issue for the moment is they keep raising their rates, I've told my account manager that their ROI is diminishing every time they do that, and there IS a cutoff point. I've not had a lot of problems with the customers most are reasonable and willing to pay for a quality service.
Yea honestly you are right the customers that we got from Angie's list were decent not high end not low end but all paid a hand ful were annoying. I just can't help but bash Angie's list. I've spent more money there than I care to admit and in the end we totally got taken advantage of. Be careful when you build a lot of clout on Angie's list like many service awards . This gives them more selling power to sell deals. they have a version of their contract that leaves you on the hook if they over sell , they use it on high income deals in the 10k zone.
My sales person called for three days consecutive after I told him no, the last time he had a third party on the line . Who claimed to be blah blah landscaping that sang the praises of this same deal. (Was prob just a co worker) I agreed and tried to cap the deal at 25 . I was told they can't be capped but to call any time on his cell to stop it ( the number was fake) the deal way over sold. And it was all down hill
This will be my last rant on this I just want ppl to know that this can happen.
Remember you can't easily get out of their contracts there a multimillion dollar company contracts are well written .
I think it is unethical to skim off of contractors who are trying to pay their bills doing what they love . This is where they make the big bucks. The 40 bucks per year fee they charge ppl is nothing
Done
Old 04-08-2014, 10:16 AM
LawnSite Fanatic

Quote:
Originally Posted by Glenn Lawn Care View Post
I did service magic a few years ago and hated it. I would not recommend using them.
I have been using Angie's List for a while now and it has not worked out for me. I have not gotten a call, email anything. Most people on there are looking for business who already have reviews. But hey its free!
When you do a job for a customer ask them if they are on Angies list. If so ask them if they would write a review for you. I am on there not as an advertiser but ffrom customers reviewing me. I have gotten several jobs from it.
Old 04-11-2014, 11:34 AM
LawnSite Silver Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by cotyledon View Post
Quote:
Originally Posted by PerfectEarth View Post

HAHA! Remember this??? vvv

Quote:
Just got a call.

She called me back five days later...

"Hi we talked before and you said that you only cut on a weekly basis... now what about when it doesn't need cut?"

Oh boy, here we go...

I explained that if we are seeing drought conditions - where they are actually using the word "drought" on the news - and if the grass would be damaged by cutting, that I would then skip it if that would be best for the lawn. I then added that I am only agreeable to "skipping a week" if I am the one making the decision to do so. "I'm not going to mow a dry, brown lawn just to make a buck, but I also need to be the one to determine when it will be skipped."

She seemed reluctant (remember - she wanted someone to come only when she called), but continued on...

OMG, it was one thing after another. She went on about how the last guy didn't indicate sales tax on her bill and that she didn't want to get in trouble, so she called the state to see what she owed in sales tax. She actually went and paid the state sales tax on the totals she had paid for the year. I tried to explain that the lawn guy likely had the tax included in the price and that she was under no obligation to pay tax on it - that it was HIS responsibility to pay the tax because he had already collected it. Nope - she wasn't hearing any of it. This is the same one who thinks mowing weekly is bad for the lawn because the fertilizing guy said it was.

She also asked if I was insured. "Absolutely", I replied.

She asked if I would consider giving her an estimate. I didn't want anything to do with her to be honest, but was polite and said "Sure, just give me an address and I'll stop to take a look.
"Can you come on Saturday?"
"Sure", I replied "but I can't tell you exactly when it will be because I have other jobs I'm doing that day.
"Well, I need to know because I have other people scheduled to come too."
"How about 10am then?"
"OK, I will see you at 10 on Saturday. Thank you... OH! And you'll bring a copy of your insurance policy, right?!!!"

OMG

"Yes, I can do that", I replied before we ended the conversation.

I looked it up online and it's a corner lot owned by the same person for at least 30 years. The satellite view shows splotchy brown patches in the lawn while those surrounding it are nice and green. Nothing about the property suggests that there has ever been any real care given to it.

I was already planning on bidding it high, but thankfully she called yesterday and cancelled - she had decided to look elsewhere.

I'd be surprised if half of her appointments show up. I would have because that's just the way I am - if I say I'll take a look, I will.
I'm just glad I don't have to now. Someone else's problem.
I wonder if she will call again.
Old 04-11-2014, 11:36 PM
LawnSite Silver Member

Oh yeah... and after I said I'd come out to give an estimate, she started talking, then abruptly stopped and said, "Is that a FREE estimate?"

Yeah, I feel bad for whoever gets that account.