Register free!
Search

The Green Industry's Resource Center

Click for Weather

Old 04-07-2012, 07:50 PM
LawnSite Member

Enclosed trailer difference between brands?

Can somebody clarify as to what or if there is any difference between enclosed trailer brands...(sure trac, royal cargo, wells cargo, haulmark, etc)

I am not talking about comparing entry level trailers to fully equipped ones, Im referring to similarly speced (16" OC walls/floors, Landscape package, etc.)

Is there a difference when going from one company to the next as I have been trying to price out trailers and have gotten quotes from 7k-10k.

Options im looking at are 16"OC walls/floors, screwless exterior, 10k gvw, extended tongue, thicker plywood walls, heavy duty treated floor, etc.
Old 04-07-2012, 09:54 PM
LawnSite Member

I have researched these over the past several years. I bought an outback from Pace and it is ok but I wished I had bought one with the landscape package that is a little more commercial grade. Wells Cargo is the best on the market but you will pay good money for those but then they are worth it. Which ever brand you pick try and get the ones for commercial duty you will be happier in the long run. The brands I liked the best are Wells Cargo, Haulmark, Homesteader(Hercules). Pace used to be a good trailer but have been bought out so I was told.
Old 04-07-2012, 10:18 PM
LawnSite Fanatic

do you think your gona seriously write a check or just kick the tire and say "it sure looks pretty" ?
Old 04-07-2012, 11:17 PM
LawnSite Member

Whatever you get make sure the side door has the latch on the side and not the flushed lock because take a flat head screw driver and all your stuff can easily be some yahoos
Posted via Mobile Device
Old 04-08-2012, 03:01 PM
LawnSite Senior Member

It all comes down to specs. The cheaper trailers have thin walls and fall apart fast.

After doing the research we bought a united uxt and upgraded a few things on it. We were so confident about this purchase that we drove 12 hours to go pick it up from the factory.

2 years later... we love it.
Posted via Mobile Device
Old 04-08-2012, 06:12 PM
LawnSite Member

I have a 7 x 16 enclosed landscape trailer from Pace I bought back in 2005 and I love it. It's the Summit series (which they no longer have). Double 3/8" plywood on the walls, e-track about waist height on both sides of the walls full length, vents, lights, added extra height to it so I could stand up straight in it (6' 6" inside height), torsion axles, electric brakes, load stabilizers on the rear of the trailer (for when not attached to a truck), heavy duty ramp door. Paid $6700.00 for it brand new. Had it ordered. I'm in the market for a bigger enclosed as I am now outgrowing this one and I wish they had this same series. I will say this trailer is heavier than most.
Old 04-09-2012, 09:16 AM
LawnSite Member

we use us cargo because at the time they are the only ones w/ green treated floor but look at all the doors and hinges for level
Old 04-09-2012, 03:05 PM
LawnSite Senior Member

We just bought a new snowmobile trailer, enclosed, and looked at all of them.

There is a huge difference in trailers.

One, there are tons of companies making trailers now. They are here one day, gone the next. Try to go with a trailer company that will be around in a year. We just had our dump trailer repaired under warranty, 2 years later. The back hinges failed.

Take a good look at welds, etc... some of them are only spot welded and shoddily at that.

Also take a look at the walls and base of the trailer. Is it rigid construction or is it just a cube resting on top of a flat bed trailer?

Axles is another good one to look at. Some of them use small axles and shitty brakes.

Also, flooring is good to look at. More important with the snowmobiles. Go with a synthetic plywood flooring with warranty. It's all good to say you can just change the plywood when it rots, it's only $300 in wood - it's a pain in the ass.

Also, I find it worth getting the inside of the trailer finished if you're a neat freak like me. Way easier to clean flat panels then aluminum and struts.
Old 04-12-2012, 08:02 PM
LawnSite Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Axl View Post
Can somebody clarify as to what or if there is any difference between enclosed trailer brands...(sure trac, royal cargo, wells cargo, haulmark, etc)

I am not talking about comparing entry level trailers to fully equipped ones, Im referring to similarly speced (16" OC walls/floors, Landscape package, etc.)

Is there a difference when going from one company to the next as I have been trying to price out trailers and have gotten quotes from 7k-10k.

Options im looking at are 16"OC walls/floors, screwless exterior, 10k gvw, extended tongue, thicker plywood walls, heavy duty treated floor, etc.
What brand trailers have you been pricing? I'm looking at getting a 20' soon and been shopping around just not positive what brand to go with.
Old 04-12-2012, 09:50 PM
LawnSite Member

same here...priced out sure trac & Royal cargo