The Green Industry's Resource Center

Click for Weather
View Poll Results: Mowing on easter?
Yes 14 13.86%
No 87 86.14%
Voters: 101. You may not vote on this poll

Old 04-10-2012, 08:11 PM
LawnSite Gold Member

By the time this thread dies,a new one will be starting about mowing on Memorial Day!
Old 04-10-2012, 09:10 PM
LawnSite Fanatic

Quote:
Originally Posted by Duekster View Post
That is a good point but you can get there many times before the people show up
We do this most of the time...sometimes people come early and parking lot fills up fast which slows ypu down and in turn, the parking lots continues to fill up.
Posted via Mobile Device
Old 04-10-2012, 10:46 PM
LawnSite Platinum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by MR-G View Post
WE RUN MON-FRI 8-4....NO EXCEPTIONS !!! myself and my crew have a life, family, ect. ect. if it rains oh well we get behind....deal with it!!! we have been running this way for 25 yrs. and it has work out great...why should we lose our time off just because it rains....rain affects all of us...customers included...they either wait or find another lco....funny thing is we hardley ever lose a client due to being behind....and we NEVER work ANY holidays.....
you wanna cookie for that.

not everyone values holidays the same. I think if you wanna work the holiday work the holiday. if you don't, don't. the only 2 holidays I'm ever off is Christmas and new years day and that only because it's winter and if there's no snow. it's pretty common for me to be working all the other holidays unless by a miracle I would be all caught up with my work.

as for rain days. those are when I do the things I would done on my days off had I kept on schedule. makes no sense to me to be off tues due to rain and still take off sat. so on tues when it's raining I do what I planned to do on sat so I can work sat. I usually try for 2 days off a week, usually try for sat and sun but sometimes the weather screws that up. doesn't really matter to me what 2 days I get. there are plenty of jobs where you get diff days off each week so why should my business be any different that I have to have every single sat and sun off no matter what.

Last edited by yardguy28; 04-10-2012 at 10:51 PM.
Old 04-10-2012, 11:04 PM
LawnSite Senior Member

I really agree with Mr. G. Don't get me wrong...To each his own. But, all this about basically letting customers run your business is nonsense. If that is the case, then I would sit home half the time with nothing to do. Many want to wait until the grass it two weeks past needing cut in Spring to call, then they want it cut yesterday. They want you to skip when there is a drought, but don't want you any sooner when you have lots or rain and end up double cutting. Good luck getting double pay. Or they think it's too wet, or too this, or too that. Then you my friends end up driving all over town and back wasting gas to try to make these people happy.
It's my business, and I run it. Not my customers. If you want to work on major holidays, it's your business I guess. To me, it just looks sort of bad. Just because you may or may not be religious doesn't mean your customers are not. They may take offense to it. I am sure if you are behind, many would understand. I work hard Mon-Fri and use Sat as a make up day if needed. I have probably worked 2-3 Sundays in 10 years. And that may have been a couple of properties just to catch up. But, that's just what I choose to do. Life is not all about money for me. It's about having a little life. And that is a benefit of your own business, especially as you grow. You can be a little more flexible and let employees do more work while you take care of things you have to do sometimes.
Old 04-10-2012, 11:05 PM
LawnSite Senior Member

I really agree with Mr. G. Don't get me wrong...To each his own. But, all this about basically letting customers run your business is nonsense. If that is the case, then I would sit home half the time with nothing to do. Many want to wait until the grass it two weeks past needing cut in Spring to call, then they want it cut yesterday. They want you to skip when there is a drought, but don't want you any sooner when you have lots or rain and end up double cutting. Good luck getting double pay. Or they think it's too wet, or too this, or too that. Then you my friends end up driving all over town and back wasting gas to try to make these people happy.
It's my business, and I run it. Not my customers. If you want to work on major holidays, it's your business I guess. To me, it just looks sort of bad. Just because you may or may not be religious doesn't mean your customers are not. They may take offense to it. I am sure if you are behind, many would understand. I work hard Mon-Fri and use Sat as a make up day if needed. I have probably worked 2-3 Sundays in 10 years. And that may have been a couple of properties just to catch up. But, that's just what I choose to do. Life is not all about money for me. It's about having a little life. And that is a benefit of your own business, especially as you grow. You can be a little more flexible and let employees do more work while you take care of things you have to do sometimes.
Old 04-11-2012, 07:45 AM
LawnSite Senior Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by yardguy28 View Post
you wanna cookie for that.

not everyone values holidays the same. I think if you wanna work the holiday work the holiday. if you don't, don't. the only 2 holidays I'm ever off is Christmas and new years day and that only because it's winter and if there's no snow. it's pretty common for me to be working all the other holidays unless by a miracle I would be all caught up with my work.

as for rain days. those are when I do the things I would done on my days off had I kept on schedule. makes no sense to me to be off tues due to rain and still take off sat. so on tues when it's raining I do what I planned to do on sat so I can work sat. I usually try for 2 days off a week, usually try for sat and sun but sometimes the weather screws that up. doesn't really matter to me what 2 days I get. there are plenty of jobs where you get diff days off each week so why should my business be any different that I have to have every single sat and sun off no matter what.
sure!! i'll take a cookie...lol.....my clients and their neighbors respect us more for the way we operate...and yes we care what the guy next door thinks even if he is not a client....after all our clients have to deal with them every day...its all about repect for your employees, clients, and others around you....btw, we work in the rain most of the time...(unless lightening is present)
Old 04-11-2012, 09:38 AM
LawnSite Platinum Member

let me address the clients running my business deal. I just mean I don't run my business with the attitude that you are gonna do things exactly how I say, when I say. it's not a my way or the high way business. they write the check so they have some say.

as for when I come, when I don't, when I start the season and when I end the season. that's all my descion making. clients don't tell me when the first will be I tell them. they don't tell me when the last cut will. I tell them.

working the holiday. I usually clear it with the clients where I'm gonna be before the holiday. this year I didn't have to though. they all called me to let me know it was ok and that they wanted me to get there yard done.

as for clients neighbors. I'm still not concerned with them unless the client mentions something to me. if the client wants me there on Easter Sunday the hell with the neighbors. if they want me there thanksgiving forget the neighbors.

that's just me though and how I run my solo business. if I can keep up and maintain a mon thru fri schedule great but lots of times I get behind and weekends and holidays are needed to catch up.
Old 04-11-2012, 11:02 AM
LawnSite Senior Member

I did some work last easter, demolishing someone's deck, but this easter, I started cleaning up the outside of our house with my family. Did some mulching, tilled up the garden, we had a good time.

Typically, I don't work on holidays, unless it snows

Gravely
Scag
Ferris
Echo
Stihl
Old 04-11-2012, 11:13 AM
LawnSite Fanatic

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gilmore.Landscaping View Post
But I am not religious so its just another day to me. I guess the one house was having some family over and one guy shows up and said " Jesus isn't going to be happy with you" I didn't really say anything I was pretty shocked actually, I mean for one he was holding a Tims coffee....what about those people working?!? did he get mad at them for serving his coffee....doubt it. And judging by the plates on his truck we probably had to drive 2 hours to get here so is he going to say some snarky comment to the gas attendant who fills up his car?
Answer ..... jesus died so I could work on easter.
Old 04-11-2012, 11:55 AM
LawnSite Platinum Member

bottom line is everyone valued each holiday differently. some holidays are more for the religious.

if you want to work, great, work. I'm not gonna call you disrespectful or rude because your not observing the holiday.

if you want to take the day off and spend it with family and friends go for it. but don't be jumping down the throats of those who are working.