View Poll Results: Mowing on easter?
Yes 14 13.86%
No 87 86.14%
Voters: 101. You may not vote on this poll

Old 04-16-2012, 09:26 AM
LawnSite Bronze Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Roachy View Post
I suppose the guys that answered yes are also out doing fall cleanups on thanksgiving
Yes I was , did my own house good way to enjoy Thanksgiving, working in the yard on a fall day.
Old 04-16-2012, 09:32 AM
LawnSite Bronze Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Duekster View Post
Mowing on weekends in residential areas disturbs the peace IMHO. The worst is the guy doing his own lawn and it takes him all day. You know he does not enjoy it because he waited 3 weeks to do it.

I understand retail stores being open on Saturdays so people that work 5 days a week like most Legit Business might need to buy something.

I just do not see landscape as something essential that needs to run outside of conventional business hours. Having said that, I would rather run out and meet a homeowner on a Saturday than 6:00PM on a weekday.

I take no offense to someone working sundays and holidays. I just do not support those activities.
Could be true, but I disagree with the blanket statement. I have a couple of neighbors that spend the complete day working in the yard and they enjoy that. I have 4 acres and do the same sometimes. Yes I have 2 72"s and can get the yard done in about an hour with a helper. But on somedays I will fire up the smoker and smoke some ribs and mow and weedeat and trim bushes and trees the complete day.
Old 04-16-2012, 02:51 PM
LawnSite Platinum Member

I actually find most home owners do there yard work on the weekend even if they could have it done it during the week.

so if every Tom, dick and Harry is out mowing there lawn on sat or sun what's wrong with me being out too???
Old 04-16-2012, 06:02 PM
LawnSite Silver Member

Heck, I think the sound of a choice V-twin adds a LOT to the mix.
Some folks are so contrary that if they fell into a river,
they'd insist on floating upstream.
~ Josh Billings
Old 04-16-2012, 07:32 PM
LawnSite Fanatic

Quote:
Originally Posted by clydebusa View Post
Could be true, but I disagree with the blanket statement. I have a couple of neighbors that spend the complete day working in the yard and they enjoy that. I have 4 acres and do the same sometimes. Yes I have 2 72"s and can get the yard done in about an hour with a helper. But on somedays I will fire up the smoker and smoke some ribs and mow and weedeat and trim bushes and trees the complete day.
I would rather fire up the smoker and do something else besides yard work. To each his own. I typically disagree with blanket statements as a whole too. I have clients that love to mow their yard and such but the pay me to do irrigation and lawn treatments. That is just me.
Old 04-17-2012, 03:51 AM
LawnSite Senior Member

In our neck of the woods like most areas you have two operations that exist. First are the "legitimate" operations with multiple crews, employees and such they typically run Monday through Friday anywhere from 40 to 60 hours per week and might use weekends to catch up mainly Saturdays if they do they are typically four to six hour days.

Then there are the part timers that are working for beer money and such and they will work Saturday and Sunday long hours and such so it doesn't really matter what you do it is all a matter of priorities.

Matt
Old 04-17-2012, 08:09 PM
LawnSite Platinum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by cod8825 View Post
In our neck of the woods like most areas you have two operations that exist. First are the "legitimate" operations with multiple crews, employees and such they typically run Monday through Friday anywhere from 40 to 60 hours per week and might use weekends to catch up mainly Saturdays if they do they are typically four to six hour days.

Then there are the part timers that are working for beer money and such and they will work Saturday and Sunday long hours and such so it doesn't really matter what you do it is all a matter of priorities.

Matt
oh there's more than 2 types of operations.

there's the 2 you mentioned then the solo guys who work any days needed to stay on schedule or catch up when behind, including sat and sun.

yes it is a matter of priorities. someone with a family to spend the holidays with will most likely do so because that's a priority. someone who would otherwise spend the holiday alone might elect to work the holiday.
Old 04-17-2012, 09:39 PM
LawnSite Senior Member

Yardguy:

It is a balance sometimes you win and sometimes the need of the business wins. I know, everybody on here knows that we all started our operations for three basic things MONEY, CONTROL, and FREEDOM. That is what being in business gives you. Yes our customers are our boss but we control how we handle them. If they do not like us or we do not like them then most of us will part ways. In my business I have worked every holiday once some multiple times due to weather, snow or break downs it will happen.

I make a point to do everything possible to not. Have a good day

Matt
Old 04-18-2012, 04:28 PM
LawnSite Senior Member

I try not to mow on sundays anyhow
Stihl and Echo handhelds
Commercial Applicator Certified in 3A and 3B
Old 04-18-2012, 06:46 PM
LawnSite Gold Member

yardguy, I really don't know why you try to stir this up around every holiday but I went through your posts. You post during the day almost every single day. You are so busy out working that you have to work on easter, but you have time to post during the day. Please give it a rest.