Register free!
Search

Click for Weather

Old 04-08-2012, 11:55 PM
LawnSite Fanatic

Quote:
Originally Posted by phillie View Post
Ive seen the commercial but dont take offense to it. I am very professional and make sure not to look like a fool out there. Thing is, I dont feel its professional on their part to show some mystery product that only kills grass and not dandys. Haha, thats a new one to me. Would prolly be helpful on dandy fields used for dandy wine or tea.
You could do that by applying Fusilade or Poast. Those are grass killers that have zero effect on broadleaf weeds. The normal lawn company would not ever have that in their shop. Those herbicides are used for field crops, orchards and flower beds only.

Sell not virtue to purchase wealth, nor Liberty to purchase power.
Benjamin Franklin Poor Richard's Almanac1738
Old 04-09-2012, 09:57 AM
LawnSite Fanatic

Quote:
Originally Posted by greendoctor View Post
You could do that by applying Fusilade or Poast. Those are grass killers that have zero effect on broadleaf weeds. The normal lawn company would not ever have that in their shop. Those herbicides are used for field crops, orchards and flower beds only.
I agree their are several Select Herbicide that kill grass and not broad-leafs. But if you look close at the U tube, you can see fresh sod around the Dandelion. Also the second picture shows bare eroded ground and no sign of any dried up vegetation.

This actually is a very clever advertisement as are most TG/CL advertisements. TG/CL spends a small fortune on perception. First on Advertisement and then on custom made Cab Over van type trucks which are rolling bill boards that are seen by the public all day long. It is too bad they don't pay enough to keep good techs. Once in a great while they will have a tech who sees the light and does good work just long enough to get Certified and go out on their own. I have seen that happen a few but very few times

Bottom Line is you have to give credit where credit is due. TG/CL is one heck of a marketing company. Once again it is too bad they are not a Lawn care company. Or maybe I should say Thank Heavens they aren't a lawn care company.

"TG doesn't give a rats ass about being "Responsible" as long as sales/production quotas are met. That's it in a nutshell. A recipe for disaster IMO." Ted Putnam 2/28/14

You can lead a Donkey to water but you can't make the Jackass Drink

"As Americans you have the right to be stupid." John Kerry

"Life is tough, but it's tougher when you're stupid.” John Wayne.
Old 04-10-2012, 11:02 AM
LawnSite Senior Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ric View Post

This actually is a very clever advertisement as are most TG/CL

Bottom Line is you have to give credit where credit is due. TG/CL is one heck of a marketing company. Once again it is too bad they are not a Lawn care company. Or maybe I should say Thank Heavens they aren't a lawn care company.

Hilarious commercial.
I had just met a former TG branch manager of 10+ years, he had said that his higher ups would say "we are a marketing company that just happens to do lawn care". He also said that some years their branch would have a 40% turnover on customers. They are so good at marketing it didn't matter though, they would still grow the next year.

Posted via Mobile Device
Old 04-10-2012, 11:37 AM
LawnSite Member

"What the Front Yard"!
Old 04-10-2012, 12:10 PM
LawnSite Fanatic

I am not sure about the North, But in the South, most all TG/CL offices are a franchise and independently owned. I know a Guy who knows a Guy who Knows a Guy who's Dog Works at the local TG/CL. The Grape Vine reports the local Branch or Franchise did $ 4 Million gross last year and the owner only could take $ 50 K for him self.

Reasons give are a lot of thief of Chemicals and other poor management as well as untrained employees. But Low Prices and High royalty percentage paid to Corporate were major factors. These fancy TV Ads have to be paid for some how.

My own personal experience with TG/CL was trying to sell them accounts many years ago. Their offer was great until you consider the small print and major cash hold backs. The Big Promise and shallow results appear to be TG/CL's style.

"TG doesn't give a rats ass about being "Responsible" as long as sales/production quotas are met. That's it in a nutshell. A recipe for disaster IMO." Ted Putnam 2/28/14

You can lead a Donkey to water but you can't make the Jackass Drink

"As Americans you have the right to be stupid." John Kerry

"Life is tough, but it's tougher when you're stupid.” John Wayne.
Old 04-10-2012, 12:40 PM
LawnSite Fanatic

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ric View Post

I am not sure about the North, But in the South, most all TG/CL offices are a franchise and independently owned. I know a Guy who knows a Guy who Knows a Guy who's Dog Works at the local TG/CL. The Grape Vine reports the local Branch or Franchise did $ 4 Million gross last year and the owner only could take $ 50 K for him self.

Reasons give are a lot of thief of Chemicals and other poor management as well as untrained employees. But Low Prices and High royalty percentage paid to Corporate were major factors. These fancy TV Ads have to be paid for some how.

My own personal experience with TG/CL was trying to sell them accounts many years ago. Their offer was great until you consider the small print and major cash hold backs. The Big Promise and shallow results appear to be TG/CL's style.

Like I said, I love the ad's because it gets people thinking about professional services. Most people will drop one of those companies for me in a heart beat if not as soon as the contract is over
Old 04-10-2012, 02:05 PM
LawnSite Senior Member

I for one do find the TGCL commercials this year pretty insulting, but far more tacky than anything else. Especially after last year with that ass Bobby kid and his lawn mower flashing a wad of cash...I am surprised they went this route.

The ones I like are the Scotts commercials. At first this guy annoyed me and probably will if I see him too many more times but this commercial cracks me up.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=_C7O99M7_Lk
Old 04-10-2012, 07:35 PM
LawnSite Fanatic

Didn't scotts get busted for mis-lable of their product? LOL, I know they did on their weed and feed.
Old 04-10-2012, 08:55 PM
LawnSite Platinum Member

All the Tru Green offices here are corporate owned. Now Scott's which is just startign to show up in my area, are franchiseed. The local one here is 150 miles away, but still comes here....lol

From what i have been told, alot of the tru green guys have their "own" route, aside from the tru Green route. If you know what i mean. lol

2013 haulmark 18' trailer
2013 John Deere 52' walkbehind
2012 Gator with skid sprayer
2010 Turfco T-3000
2008 JD 997
2006 JD 647a
2004 JD 757 w/ 3 bag & Iron MCS
2002 JD 757 w/ 2 bag MCS
2002 JD 757
Stihl, Echo, Tanka 2 strokes
Big Tex trailers
Tons of other equipment
Old 04-10-2012, 09:22 PM
LawnSite Platinum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cadzilla View Post
I for one do find the TGCL commercials this year pretty insulting, but far more tacky than anything else. Especially after last year with that ass Bobby kid and his lawn mower flashing a wad of cash...I am surprised they went this route.

The ones I like are the Scotts commercials. At first this guy annoyed me and probably will if I see him too many more times but this commercial cracks me up.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=_C7O99M7_Lk
Isn't he the same guy that went around slapping evryone on the back of the legs with a dipstick on that auto parts advertisement? He always said"use your dipstick" after he slapped them. Those commercials were hilarious

Tags
trugreen