Register free!

Old 04-04-2012, 08:47 PM
LawnSite Member

Patio Pricing?

I jsut looked at a job tonight, it's a 26x20 patio concrete slab with a 26ft walkway attached. The job consists of removing the concrete and installing pavers, obviously I'll have to excavate about another 6" to get my proper stone depth, but a pretty straighforward job (they want it simply), easy access, plenty of parking and room, etc....

I usually cut myself short on these jobs, and don't want to have that problem this time. I'm just looking for some opinions on where my price should be, 5,000 7,500, 10,000?? just looking for a rough idea.

I usually calculate my prices by adding up matierials and figureing out how long it will take me, then adding a little for unexpected bumps in the road, which are always there.

I'm still adding up all the matierials, but I think my price is going to be in the $8,000 range. Is this resonable?

Is there general sf price to give me an idea, I understand every job is different and I would never go with that method, just want to make sure my price isn't way less than I could be getting.

Thanks,
Austin
Old 04-05-2012, 01:07 AM
LawnSite Silver Member

What are your costs for materials? What about getting rid of the old concrete? 20*26' patio plus a 26*3' walk, your looking at about 600 sq ft of concrete. At 4" think you're looking at something like 25k-30k lbs of concrete to bust up and truck out of there. Make sure you are figuring that into your price.
Old 04-05-2012, 02:04 AM
LawnSite Senior Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by acarter92 View Post
I

Is there general sf price to give me an idea, I understand every job is different and I would never go with that method, just want to make sure my price isn't way less than I could be getting.

Thanks,
Austin
There's no such thing as a "general sf price". Are you planning on doing this job by yourself or do you have employee's? Subs? What is your overhead?
Old 04-05-2012, 08:27 AM
LawnSite Member

The final number last night came out to 9,380, that's $5,200 in labor, the rest is matierials which I should make $500-$1000 on. In the materials I have figured in for the base materials to be trucked in, so I won't be making a half dozen 3 1/2 ton trips with my trailer. I have one part time employee that will be helping most of the job. I'm not a large company, one newer truck, one older truck, a dump trailer, a few equiptment trailers, small backhoe, and all the small stuff...

I am figuring in for removing and hauling the concrete away. The customer put it in himself 8 years ago, he told me it's barely 4" thick and there is no wire in it, if there is there will be an extra charge I told him.

Let me knwo what ya think,

Thanks,
Austin
Old 04-05-2012, 12:23 PM
LawnSite Senior Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by acarter92 View Post
The final number last night came out to 9,380, that's $5,200 in labor, the rest is matierials which I should make $500-$1000 on. In the materials I have figured in for the base materials to be trucked in, so I won't be making a half dozen 3 1/2 ton trips with my trailer. I have one part time employee that will be helping most of the job. I'm not a large company, one newer truck, one older truck, a dump trailer, a few equiptment trailers, small backhoe, and all the small stuff...

I am figuring in for removing and hauling the concrete away. The customer put it in himself 8 years ago, he told me it's barely 4" thick and there is no wire in it, if there is there will be an extra charge I told him.

Let me knwo what ya think,

Thanks,
Austin
Wire shouldn't slow you down that much. It would be cleanest and easiest with that small, thin slab to cut it into manageable chunks and bring it out with forks on the skid steer. If you just smash it into bits, it's going to take much longer.

Also, depending where you are, concrete is free to dispose of because it's recyclable. But it's also heavy and you might need multiple loads. Just because it fits in your trailer doesn't mean you can safely pull it
Old 04-05-2012, 12:34 PM
LawnSite Silver Member

Check around on the disposal pricing. Here we have to pay. If I have containers dropped off its about $60 a ton for clean concrete. But if I brake it up into pieces the bobcat can handle, I can do live loads and have a dumptruck come in and cart it off for $40 a ton. That includes the first 20 minutes the truck is on site, after that there is an additional charge. So we usually just break it up so when the truck comes we can just load it quick, this is particularly better when working in the city on a small lot where you can't take up space with a container waiting for it to be picked up, or on large demos where multiple containers would be needed.
Old 04-05-2012, 07:56 PM
LawnSite Senior Member

pay for concrete to be tossed....thats crazy.. most pits will take it free of charge with no steel in it. That is crushable and re-used. At our pit we do.
Old 04-05-2012, 10:43 PM
LawnSite Member

I have good place to dispose of the concrete, free of charge, I just have to haul it.

So, any opinions on my numbers??

Thanks,
Austin
Old 04-05-2012, 11:25 PM
LawnSite Fanatic

1) I do not mark up non-living materials. You mentioned makin 500 to 1000 dollars on materials. I make money off of the labor.

2) The fasted way to contend with the slab is with a breaker on a skid steer.
We used to the the saw-it-up thing. Waste of time and diamond blades. Yeah, you'll have to rent a breaker for your skidy bopper, but you'll save in time and blades.

"People Throw Rocks At Things That Shine"

My Equipment Brag List:

-1 CAT hat
-16 pairs of Hanes socks (the Heavy Duty model), many with holes.
-12 pairs of underwear, ranging from Joe Boxers to Jockey, many are in need of replacement. (no more photo requests please)
-hundreds of t-shirts. Some w/ grease stains, some torn & tattered.
-7 pairs of jeans, ranging from Levis to Polo to GAP. 1/2 of them have holes in 'em.
-1 belt
-1 pair of old worn out Nike shoes.
Old 04-05-2012, 11:29 PM
LawnSite Fanatic

Also - do not BANK on the actual thickness of the concrete.

We have removed concrete slabs that ended up being 8-inches thick.

I have a clause on the back of my proposal. (proposal. NOT bid). This is it:

Removal of Asphalt / Concrete: This proposal does not include removal of asphalt or concrete, unless otherwise noted. In the event this proposal specifies any removal of such, additional costs will be implied in the event the asphalt and or concrete is found to exceed a thickness of 4-inches.

"People Throw Rocks At Things That Shine"

My Equipment Brag List:

-1 CAT hat
-16 pairs of Hanes socks (the Heavy Duty model), many with holes.
-12 pairs of underwear, ranging from Joe Boxers to Jockey, many are in need of replacement. (no more photo requests please)
-hundreds of t-shirts. Some w/ grease stains, some torn & tattered.
-7 pairs of jeans, ranging from Levis to Polo to GAP. 1/2 of them have holes in 'em.
-1 belt
-1 pair of old worn out Nike shoes.