Register free!
Search

The Green Industry's Resource Center

Click for Weather

Old 04-14-2012, 07:30 AM
LawnSite Member

Lawn Pricing (mowing)

Is it just me or am I just going nuts!!! I had three people that I gave quotes to this past week call me and ask WHY AM I SO EXPENSIVE to just cut the grass! I was REALLY taken back as I am usually very competitve and NOT EXPENSIVE to say the least. My area I am a little more expensive is lawn treatments. LAWN CUTTING I am probably one of the cheapest.

I mean I know people low ball but is anyone else seeing other companies going out REALLY LOW BALLING this year? When I mean really low I was charging a lawn fairly low (becuase I had 8 others on the same block) but they said my quote was almost $15 higher then what they got. I actually laughed and said "Do you have the local church cutting your grass as you landscaper is going to use more in gas for the truck and the mower then he is going to make on your lawn"

Just asking around as I never got calls like that before especially in the same week!!1!!!
Old 04-14-2012, 07:32 AM
LawnSite Member

probably just a local thing.
Old 04-14-2012, 10:09 AM
LawnSite Silver Member

Anyone can hack down grass. You need to sell yourself on quality. Just because they got a price that much cheaper doesn't mean they will automatically go with them. I've had the same thing happen when quoting a price. I was more but I still got the job.
Old 04-14-2012, 03:15 PM
LawnSite Member

I just tell them I hope everything works out, but if they are not satisfied with their service to please feel free to call me back.
Posted via Mobile Device
Old 04-14-2012, 03:27 PM
LawnSite Member

There are too many folks down here getting JohnDeer 110 riding mowers and 4x6 trailers and calling themselves lawn services. Then they cut your throat by 10,15, sometimes 20 bucks just to get the yard and it takes them 4 hours to mow it but the customer doesnt care because they got it cheaper. I dont know how they do it, maybe they have a lot of time on their hands and dont need to make a ton of money, I know they dont have much overhead but still. It sure doesnt look as good but the customer got a deal and thats all some customers seem to look at.
Old 04-14-2012, 03:49 PM
LawnSite Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jbh0724 View Post
I just tell them I hope everything works out, but if they are not satisfied with their service to please feel free to call me back.
Posted via Mobile Device
Precisely how I approach it.

More often then not, they do NOT call back.

Their loss... not mine.
Old 04-14-2012, 03:54 PM
LawnSite Member

Its a difficult problem to have for someone just starting out. Like myself a few years ago. I was inclined to reduce my price. Now I've got plenty of work to keep myself busy so I don't want price shopper as customers. I don't advertise anywhere for that reason. I pick up more accounts from people driving by and seeing quality work. I pick up 90 percent of them regardless of how high my bid is. That's my kind of customer
Posted via Mobile Device
Old 04-15-2012, 04:47 PM
LawnSite Member

I had a guy lowballing a lot last year. He was charing $35 for 1.5 to 2 acre lots. Towards the beginning of the year he stole a ton of my work. Two weeks later I had almost every account I lost back and by the end of the year they all returned to me.

Here is $35 dollar work and this is why you don't buy cheap! I have no idea what this guy was thinking leaving yards looking like this.

This is the same yard only how it looked when I finished mowing it. Not my best work but there is only so much you can do when a moron mows it the week before. (Sorry for the crappy cell phone pics)

Residential & Commercial Mowing
Old 04-15-2012, 04:54 PM
LawnSite Member

I get from new customers a lot of time when I give a quote well my last guy was only charging x and I ask were he is at and they say I don't know he just quit showing up,that's when I tell them he is out of business because he was not making any money!
Old 04-15-2012, 04:58 PM
LawnSite Fanatic

Quote:
Originally Posted by GoldStarMowing View Post
I had a guy lowballing a lot last year. He was charing $35 for 1.5 to 2 acre lots. Towards the beginning of the year he stole a ton of my work. Two weeks later I had almost every account I lost back and by the end of the year they all returned to me.

Here is $35 dollar work and this is why you don't buy cheap! I have no idea what this guy was thinking leaving yards looking like this.

This is the same yard only how it looked when I finished mowing it. Not my best work but there is only so much you can do when a moron mows it the week before. (Sorry for the crappy cell phone pics)

If the low ball guy had the proper mower he would not have left that trash and he would beat your price since you had to go over it twice.