Register free!

Old 04-11-2012, 12:14 AM
Sponsor

Fimco,

Good to see you on the lighting part of lawnsite... bring some of your irrigators over with you.

Because of the heavy snow fall, and it being a HOA I like the idea of the downlights from the Pine tree and the hardscape lights under the rails (as opposed to area lights that can get covered by snow or knocked over).

I would use the hardscape lights on the right side rails (when looking down) to highlight the stairs and rails for safety, as well as hit the rock wall for aesthetics. 20w halogen bipin or or LED equivalent so it is bright enough for safety. Run the wire up the backside of the post and use a dado cut molding to cover the wire and stain to match wood.

Aim 2 downlights from the pine (20w 60 degree LED MR16). One aimed more towards the top section of stairs, one more towards the bottom section. Have these lights aimed in between the tree and the stairs for general soft moonlighting of the area. The hardscape lights will be more task oriented and the 2 downlights will both look nice on the tree and area below the tree but also add ambient and fill in lighting around the stairs.

For the fountain, I would have used 3 fixtures, each with 35 w (a lot of the light gets wasted since there isn't much to reflect off, so sometimes in fountains you need a lot more fixtures-- but depends on the effect you want and level of ambient light).

The fixtures we carry to suit the above would be:
http://www.landscapelightingworld.co...ight-p/668.htm

http://www.landscapelightingworld.co...0downlight.htm

http://www.landscapelightingworld.co...roductCode=680

Lamps:
http://www.landscapelightingworld.co...ed-mr16-3w.htm

All the above fixtures are solid cast brass (superior to aluminum), include 25' lead wire that is tinned copper, have pregreased sockets and have a lifetime warranty. Everything is in stock and ships same day.

By the way I would replace the home run cable if the Malibu's had quick connectors (pierce points connectors). Pierce point connectors tend to wick water into the cable and most of the time the cable has corrosion inside the cable (under the insulation). That corrosion creeps down the wire and spreads and will contaminate new fixtures as well.

If you have any questions, feel free to call us and we'd be happy to help (813) 978-3700. Be sure to say you came from Lawnsite and apply for a wholesale account as well.

Good luck!
Sincerely,
(813) 978-3700
alanb@voltlighting.com
www.voltlighting.com

Factory Direct Outdoor Lighting
Old 04-11-2012, 12:19 AM
LawnSite Bronze Member

Pete, I'm a big fan of post mounted fixtures such as this. Wide range of prices depending on bronze, brass material. Considering this is an HOA, LED can be pricey compared to halogen but each have their pros/ cons.
Attached Images

Old 04-11-2012, 12:28 AM
Sponsor

Quote:
Originally Posted by Stuttering Stan View Post
Pete, I'm a big fan of post mounted fixtures such as this. Wide range of prices depending on bronze, brass material. Considering this is an HOA, LED can be pricey compared to halogen but each have their pros/ cons.
Nice fixtures but the vertical posts in the pic are 2 x4's with the thin 1 3/4" side facing the stairs. Typical post mounted deck lights like the hockey puck style above will be too big and overhang the 1 3/4" stud-- looks bad and can get torqued off if hit or caught on someones pants. The hardscape style light will be mounted higher (greater illumination area) and they can be bend slightly to better aim the light direction exactly where you want it.
(813) 978-3700
alanb@voltlighting.com
www.voltlighting.com

Factory Direct Outdoor Lighting
Old 04-11-2012, 02:39 AM
LawnSite Platinum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by INTEGRA Bespoke Lighting View Post
1: Stop worrying about your limited power supply by using LED lamps in what ever fixtures you choose.

2: Use post mounted fixtures to effectively light the rail / step feature. There are a bunch of different styles and price points on the market.
I suggested Peter check out the various versions of NS Postliters and a Vista equivalent, and he could use those with Illumicare LEDs, right?

I think all he needs is 5: one on every other post alternating sides.

He could use downlights from the trees and LED MR16s would certainly increase the maintenance interval, but that might also mean problems as the trees grow around the fixtures or cable that might not get noticed.

BTW, they look like 4 x 4s or at the least 3 x 4s for the posts and 2 x 6s for the top rail to my eyes.

Last edited by irrig8r; 04-11-2012 at 02:46 AM.
Old 04-11-2012, 05:57 AM
LawnSite Fanatic

Okay it's 2:40am and I've combined all the suggestions and here is what I'm going to do. I see the beauty to led now. 3watts which is the equivalent to 20 watts. So with a 88 watt transformer I have 20-25 fixture potential. Unfortunately I won't get the okay for that BUT I will eventually. I need to light at least one tree and add two under rail lights plus boost the fountain light bulb to a 10 watt led? Eventually I'll get more lights in the fountain. Since I'm replacing a tri color piece of plastic junk one decent light is going to be a vast improvement. Do pine trees light well? Unfortunately all this is next a giant flag light. I'll go take a pic now for the night time view.
Old 04-11-2012, 06:31 PM
LawnSite Gold Member

my lights you see there powered by leds from james' company, worked really good. tree lights are also a great idea.
Old 04-11-2012, 06:44 PM
LawnSite Platinum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by BrandonV View Post
my lights you see there powered by leds from james' company, worked really good. tree lights are also a great idea.
Just to clarify; The LED lamps that Brandon is referring to are from Illumicare.
www.illumicaregroup.com

Thanks.

www.integralighting.com

www.facebook.com/INTEGRA.Lighting

Affiliations: IESNA, IALD, IDA, AOLP, LO, MBA
Old 04-11-2012, 06:49 PM
LawnSite Platinum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by irrig8r View Post
I suggested Peter check out the various versions of NS Postliters and a Vista equivalent, and he could use those with Illumicare LEDs, right?

I think all he needs is 5: one on every other post alternating sides.

He could use downlights from the trees and LED MR16s would certainly increase the maintenance interval, but that might also mean problems as the trees grow around the fixtures or cable that might not get noticed.

BTW, they look like 4 x 4s or at the least 3 x 4s for the posts and 2 x 6s for the top rail to my eyes.
I agree with Gregg on this one. The posts are certainly 4x4 and mounting traditional 'post lights' on them, just below the rail, would effectively, efficiently and attractively light the steps.

I would also include downlighting from the trees using appropriate tree mounted downlight fixtures such as the Illumicare Hyperion. http://www.illumicaregroup.com/2011/11/hyperion/

www.integralighting.com

www.facebook.com/INTEGRA.Lighting

Affiliations: IESNA, IALD, IDA, AOLP, LO, MBA
Old 04-12-2012, 02:09 AM
LawnSite Platinum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by INTEGRA Bespoke Lighting View Post
I agree with Gregg on this one. The posts are certainly 4x4 and mounting traditional 'post lights' on them, just below the rail, would effectively, efficiently and attractively light the steps.

I would also include downlighting from the trees using appropriate tree mounted downlight fixtures such as the Illumicare Hyperion. http://www.illumicaregroup.com/2011/11/hyperion/
Hyperion looks like a well designed unit.

What was that line I've heard you say... something about "the higher the light, the closer to God"...?

You won't catch me up high in trees though...

Just read this: "Hyperion is IP68 rated, making it fully water-tight and submersible to 15 meters (49’) depth; a first for any tree mounted downlight."

So, this is in case your tree gets knocked into a lake? Or just how high do those snow drifts get there in Muskoka?

Old 04-12-2012, 11:48 AM
LawnSite Senior Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by irrig8r View Post
So, this is in case your tree gets knocked into a lake? Or just how high do those snow drifts get there in Muskoka?

Hahah hopefully the lake isnt deeper then 60ft
Posted via Mobile Device