Register free!
Search

Click for Weather

Old 04-12-2012, 11:22 AM
LawnSite Fanatic

We have a board meeting Sat and i'll see what I can squeeze out of them

BUT I have another question getting back to the fountain light. Right now its just a 10watt which isn't going to do a whole lot. I was studying Illumicare site and see that LEDs max out at 20 watt halogen? I was looking at those LED G5.3 BI-Pins which put out more side light? If you were going with one light in a fountain (more may come later) what would you advise in regard to the bulb and would you use the deflector? My VISTA fixture allows up to 20 watts.
Attached Images

Old 04-12-2012, 12:07 PM
LawnSite Senior Member

I would not use that fixture. You want a mr based spot fixture. No matter what lamp you use you will never be happy with that fixtures output
Posted via Mobile Device
Old 04-12-2012, 01:59 PM
LawnSite Platinum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by S&MLL View Post
I would not use that fixture. You want a mr based spot fixture. No matter what lamp you use you will never be happy with that fixtures output
Posted via Mobile Device
Have you ever used one? I have, and it worked fine. Even had to shield it on the side where there was a walkway. It was a concrete bowl on a pillar in the center of a maybe 7 ft diameter above ground brick-sided pond.

Lit it up just fine.

Just tried searching for a photo but can't locate right now. Install was 5 or 6 years ago.
Old 04-12-2012, 11:46 PM
LawnSite Gold Member

I think puck lights mounted on the posts with a newer LED retrofit bi-pin would work fine. another option might be the newer silicone covered LED strip lights that come in 15-16 foor rolls mounted under the rails. they give much greater lumens that LED rope. but For the most of the strip lights you need DC, not the AC voltage that comes out of landcape light trans.

a really cool fountain option is the deeper fountain mr-16 fixtures and then use an RGB LED 5w mr-16 retrofit bulb from ebay. you can program them to slowly fade between colors, or just stay with blue, or red, green, or many colors in between. costwise it is not too much, and so far I am finding they last around 3-5 years. they usually come with a remote to change the program without removing the bulb from the fixture. buy and replace bulbs in groups on the same property if you want them all to sync when fading or changing colors, not all manufacturors have the same time and color sequences.
Old 04-13-2012, 09:44 AM
LawnSite Fanatic

You have a link for those silicone covered LEDs? Thanks I like out of the box thinking