Register free!

Old 04-20-2012, 09:45 PM
LawnSite Gold Member

Soon as we get rain ,I'll take pixs of all the stripping he does on with his spreader.

And I stand by what I said. Few years ago ,wishing I had my camera with me. Grandma was out miracle growing her bushes and her grand kid was running through the spray. Yes, she was stupid, and that is part of my point.
Old 04-20-2012, 09:46 PM
LawnSite Senior Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by ETM View Post
keep electing democrates and you get what you get.GOVERMENT CONTROL. That's all it is grand. They charge you because you let them. I pay $80 per year and I make it up.It's called cost of doing business. I used to be a homeowner and did my own and I bet it's was better than anything you got. I just thought I knew alot.Don't get me wrong I see where you are coming from but this is America and if the dumb mass elect bama again you aint seen nothing yet.

Old 04-20-2012, 09:50 PM
LawnSite Senior Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by grandview (2006) View Post
Soon as we get rain ,I'll take pixs of all the stripping he does on with his spreader.
Or you could go and give him a business card, strike up a conversation, perhaps add him as a client, or give him a couple tips and get some good karma.

It's like a big assed sign saying come sell me some professional lawn care at a fair price. My wife hates me. HELP!

I see a five hundred dollar machine seed for starters.
Old 04-21-2012, 12:04 PM
LawnSite Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by TJLANDS View Post
Your yard looks awesome, when did you start fertilizing this year
and what are you using/ rates etc.
thatching/ aerating/ seeding?
just curious
Somehow I missed this question earlier in the thread.

Upfront I am not the type of person to expect some sort of miracle coming in a 40lb bag. To me, an perhaps others agree, the yard is a long-term management problem and any attempt at a "quick-fix" usually results in pissed away money.

Anyway here is my DIY program which has some variance depending on a few things... For reference I have roughly 1.2acres of turfgrass, most on a gentle incline, with two somewhat different hydro-zones. The back yard is heavily shaded, the front yard not so much. I have in ground irrigation with 9 zones.

Very early Spring -- as soon as the ground is fully thawed, aerate with tow-behind plugger. Also, every other year do soil sample. Lime if needed using pelletized lime and a broadcast spreader.

Early Spring -- Granular pre-em, usually by the second week of March; Occasionally I have been "testing", using one year for example Halts on the front yard and Dimension in back. The prior owner did little weed control and I have a lot of leftover annual weed seeds to content with...

Early Spring -- NPK: Typically Lesco 19-0-6, again usually by the second week of March

Mid-Spring -- Gordons Trimex w/ Crabgrass control (or equivalent WeedBGon Max) applied using a 25gal spot sprayer to knock down anything that has come up -- chickweed is prevalent in this area and is a huge problem this year. While I have the sprayer dirty I refill with generic Gly and kill anything in the driveway, walks, and other areas. If I can get Gly+Extended control on sale I'll use that instead, it works well in the pebble driveway to keep things at bay for some time.

Early Summer -- Granular pre-em, usually by June 1. Here in the mid-atlantic the real crabgrass bloom doesn't show up until mid-July to August, when the high heat, high humidity, and no rain conditions prevail. The problem then is that the Pre-Em applied in the early spring is running out of endurance. I wish there was a one-stop approach with this problem but alas I have not figured out how.

Early Summer -- NPK: Typically Lesco 19-0-6.

Summer -- Granular grub and insect control -- generally whatever Ortho product is available locally.

Summer -- For whatever reason, I generally never have a broadleaf weed problem. Like this year -- it would take me a half hour of walking to find a single dandelion in the lawn. But crab, chick, and barnyard grass are ALWAYS problematic. Anything that comes up through the pre-em and got past the initial application of liquid herbicide will face another round of spot spraying.

Fall -- Granular winterizing NPK. typically Lesco but I forget what is in that bag -- need to look at my board (see below).

Note:
Things vary widely in the late spring/summer phase. Last year was anomaly -- so much rain that I enabled the sprinkler system only three or four times. The biggest problem was topsoil erosion. I overseeded several areas last fall using a slit seeder.

I keep track of the application dates/rates/spreader settings/etc on a large white board in my workshop, including a couple of years of history. This keeps me grounded on what has been put down, and I can also use it to track which of my "experiments" worked out better (like last year, when Dimension had much, much better Pre-Em results versus Halts when it came to summer crabgrass).

I'll take a pic later and show you what the whiteboard looks like.

Things I have ideas on but have not tried:
-- Converting one of the NPK applications to Milargonite; I've also heard Mil is a decent deer repellent for at a least a period of time.
-- Doing very, very late fall pre-em weed control in an attempt to reduce the number of weeds that germinate in early spring. Is there any benefit to this?

Wrooster

Old 04-21-2012, 02:55 PM
LawnSite Senior Member

what?

nice bota...I have the BX24...love it. installed thousands of sprinklers with it.

Are you spraying or speading ferts?

I ask since Halts (scotts) IS a Pre-m. Dimension is better for crabgrass but weeds seem to get more control using Pre-m (3.3).

I used to use Lesco but now that are JDL and suck. There prices are a joke and unprofessional for me. I use Southern State for all my products.

PS. What is with the non-bota grill guard????? They did not give you one?
Old 04-21-2012, 05:49 PM
LawnSite Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by bx24 View Post
nice bota...I have the BX24...love it. installed thousands of sprinklers with it.
During college I installed thousands of heads ... with a shovel -- LoL.

Quote:
Are you spraying or speading ferts?
Broadcasting granular fertilizer.
Spraying liquid herbicide.

Quote:
I ask since Halts (scotts) IS a Pre-m. Dimension is better for crabgrass but weeds seem to get more control using Pre-m (3.3).
Would you restate this more clearly?

Quote:
I used to use Lesco but now that are JDL and suck. There prices are a joke and unprofessional for me. I use Southern State for all my products.
My local place still has Lesco at reasonable prices but I am not married to any particular brand.

Quote:
PS. What is with the non-bota grill guard????? They did not give you one?
That is the OEM Kubota guard, been on there since day one.

Wrooster

Old 04-21-2012, 09:27 PM
LawnSite Senior Member

Installed head by hand? NUTS

I spray liquid herbs and use a Lesco 80 lb spreader for gran ferts.

Just saying Dim sucks for weeds vs Pre-M.

Lesco dropped the ball when the merged with JDL and there prices and service sucks.
Old 04-28-2012, 01:01 AM
LawnSite Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by wrooster View Post
I don't think it needs to change. Professionals get licensed/certified so a) there is a minimum performance standard that paying customers can expect, and b) continuing education means they are kept up-to-date on changing regulations and best current practices.

Joe Average Homeowner buys into the Scotts 4-Step system and hopes to get 80% of the quality of a professional job at 20% of the cost. In some cases it works out fine, and in some cases it doesn't.

Some questions to ponder:
Is the success ratio of professionals markedly better or arguably worse?
Is licensing/certification a guarantee of knowledge, expertise, and integrity?
What would the benefits of "homeowner licensing/certification" be?
What would the downsides of "homeowner licensing/certification" be?

Wrooster
Wrooster,
Sorry to inform you, you are not paying 20% of the cost of a professional. Big Box Scotts bags and 1/2 rate herbicides will cost you the same if not more than professional service. If you enjoy doing the work, and have the time, maybe that's OK for you. For other people, why pay the same AND do the the work, when you can have a professional do it for the same cost. Your 2 bullet points support professionals, a) performance standards, b) education.

To answer your questions:
Yes, the success ratio of a professional is better.
Yes, you need to have knowledge and expertise to be licensed.
So homeowners know how to properly apply chemicals, and not over apply.
No downside, Knowledge will help the environment.
Old 05-01-2012, 09:28 AM
LawnSite Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by DA Quality Lawn & YS View Post
Nice upkeep on that lawn.

What always baffles me is why I have to pay $250 in lic. fees plus Continuing Ed fees to app, yet a homeowner can just throw stuff down on their lawn on a whim. Maybe that will change in the future?
It's because you make money off the apps, so the state is gonna make money off you
Old 05-01-2012, 09:34 AM
LawnSite Silver Member

maybe they just have a dog with a really bad bladder problem...