Register free!
Search

Click for Weather

Old 04-14-2012, 11:06 AM
LawnSite Fanatic

Quote:
Originally Posted by Efficiency View Post
Ric, not trying to call you out but since I gave up doing free lawn evaluations I have continued to close yet have not had to waste a single minute of time with these types.

I supposed I dont know the intricacies of your specific area and the pest pressures there but I would have to think you can develop some equation to take into consideration all your cost drivers (linear feet, etc) for SPC and spit out a price, done just from your office.
Efficiency

Life must be tougher for you. I covered that in the thread you are talking about. I QUALIFY MY CUSTOMERS ON THE PHONE. Yes I quote APPROX price over the phone to weed out the tire kicker. Most homes in my area are built on 80 X 120 lots which are covered under my minimum charge of $ 75.00 a month or $ 900.00 a year. I will ask if they have a double lot or are on a conner etc. However if they have a Larger lot size or are a commercial lot etc I go to Findlotsize.com. But even culling on the phone doesn't mean I don't go on a few wild Goose chases and give free advice to tire kickers

When I only did total Yard Care I didn't need to advertise. I bought accounts and then UP SOLD THEM AND THEIR NEIGHBOR.

NOW I am Advertising for Structural Pest Control Customers. I would like to get out of Yard Care and away from the Tree Huggers. The IRONY is the same Tree Huggers that complain about Fert & Squirt will ask for the most toxic pesticide inside their home. In a way I am very much starting a new business and using the same business tactics as a New Business. I do have the advantage of a already established income to pay for that new Business.

Just yesterday I picked up 5,000 Post Cards from the Printer. I still have a lot of paper work to do before they are mailed. Putting them in bundles of 100 and tagging them etc for the post office. My cost per customer is still an unknown. I am not sure the real total cost of chasing customer is every really known. I am hoping for at least a Half of a Percent closing Rate but Quarter Percent would be my expected break even point. Since Everyone gets Ants at one time or an other, I am hoping people will keep my post card for the next time they have Ants. I also plan the mail only 1,000 post cards at a time. If I have a big response I want to be able to handle it. One Percent or 10 people calling for estimates in a day or two is a lot to handle as a one man band.

"TG doesn't give a rats ass about being "Responsible" as long as sales/production quotas are met. That's it in a nutshell. A recipe for disaster IMO." Ted Putnam 2/28/14

You can lead a Donkey to water but you can't make the Jackass Drink

"As Americans you have the right to be stupid." John Kerry

"Life is tough, but it's tougher when you're stupid.” John Wayne.
Old 04-14-2012, 09:19 PM
LawnSite Fanatic

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ric View Post
Efficiency

Life must be tougher for you. I covered that in the thread you are talking about. I QUALIFY MY CUSTOMERS ON THE PHONE. Yes I quote APPROX price over the phone to weed out the tire kicker. Most homes in my area are built on 80 X 120 lots which are covered under my minimum charge of $ 75.00 a month or $ 900.00 a year. I will ask if they have a double lot or are on a conner etc. However if they have a Larger lot size or are a commercial lot etc I go to Findlotsize.com. But even culling on the phone doesn't mean I don't go on a few wild Goose chases and give free advice to tire kickers

When I only did total Yard Care I didn't need to advertise. I bought accounts and then UP SOLD THEM AND THEIR NEIGHBOR.

NOW I am Advertising for Structural Pest Control Customers. I would like to get out of Yard Care and away from the Tree Huggers. The IRONY is the same Tree Huggers that complain about Fert & Squirt will ask for the most toxic pesticide inside their home. In a way I am very much starting a new business and using the same business tactics as a New Business. I do have the advantage of a already established income to pay for that new Business.

Just yesterday I picked up 5,000 Post Cards from the Printer. I still have a lot of paper work to do before they are mailed. Putting them in bundles of 100 and tagging them etc for the post office. My cost per customer is still an unknown. I am not sure the real total cost of chasing customer is every really known. I am hoping for at least a Half of a Percent closing Rate but Quarter Percent would be my expected break even point. Since Everyone gets Ants at one time or an other, I am hoping people will keep my post card for the next time they have Ants. I also plan the mail only 1,000 post cards at a time. If I have a big response I want to be able to handle it. One Percent or 10 people calling for estimates in a day or two is a lot to handle as a one man band.

I use Google Earth and some times the appraisal district to review lot sizes. I find doing the desk top review is helpful before and after visiting sites. On the typical 120x80 lots it is kind of a no brainer.

Still nice to know how many shrubs and stuff people have for mowing / trimming but I suppose that would be kind of important to structural too.

In regards to tree huggers, I find we have more options for insects than we do weeds. I preach IPM to those folks. Most buy the concept.

Thank you Ric!